PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The official "Laurance Maroney should be the primary back" thread....

Status
Not open for further replies.
PATSNUTme said:
I stand corrected on Carpenter. I did have him confused with Greenway.

However, I am correect about:

1. Corey has been doing a very good job. That's what I was reffering to in asking if you have watched any games.

2. It takes three years in order to evaluate if a player is a bust or worth the pick.

Alright, it's all good. Yes, I will say that Corey has done a good job, but really nothing special ala 2004 season. I have watched all the games, the point I'm trying to make is, the Pats need to give more carries to either back for the running game to be more effective. The offense is struggling, it time to try something new.

Last edited:
tombonneau said:
I was villified earlier in the year for proclaiming this, but I still feel Maroney needs the majority of reps due to big play potential. Normally a team relies on the pass for the big play, but the Pats passing game is still not up to snuff in that department.

I feel Maroney needs to be in there more bc when the line opens up a huge whole the Pats O can't afford to leave yards on the field.

Case in point, Dillon's 50yd run would have been a Maroney TD. Off top of my head, can't remember if the Pats got a TD on that drive or not, but the point is, as much as I know people will make fun of me for saying, but with our O Dillon's 15yd runs through big holes need to be Maroney 40 yd runs. Sorry but that is the fact about the state of our offense.

I'm sure they are limiting him somewhat because historically young backs hit the wall down the stretch in their pro season due to the extra games in an NFL season. This Oline so infrequently opens up a huge hole he'd be stuffed way to many times to justify the runs he does rip off.

Dillon's 50 yard run would have been a TD if Chad Jackson held his block instead of letting his man toss him aside like childs play so he could take off after Corey in persuit. In fact if Dillon hadn't stiff armed him himself he might not have even gotten past them.

They in fact brought Maroney in for the next series and he ran the next play for another 10 or so, but then got stuffed for a loss on the next series which included a penalty and a sack resulting in a FG. Dillon didn't return to the game for almost 20 minutes - from that 50 yard run in the first quarter until 2 minutes into the third quarter - for what reason we may never know. He's either playing through an injury that nags at him at times, or he's in poor condition or his legs are dead and he required lots of time outs, or they are rigidly playing one or the other without regard to situational needs, or whatever.

I have always been a dillon supporter and I will continue now.
HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN USED MORE both last game and previous. I love maroney and his potential, but honestly sometimes he looks like a child playing a mans game out there. Yes he has the potential to break one at any moment, but he also has over half the chance to get stuffed at the line or behind it than dillon does.
not looking into stats my general observation for what its worth.
Dillon will take a 0 yard gain and turn it into 1-2. A 3 yard gain and turn it into 6 etc. Potential for 15 + yard gains limited but still possible as we saw last week.
Maroney takes a 0 yard gain and thats what it is or maybe a loss. 3 yard gain and thats still about it. 6 yard and above is when we start to see some added yards when he can get into the open field.
I like how they have been being used with the exception that if anything, more dillon.
case in point last week after giving dillon a play puff on the sideline after his long run I wanted him back in there, but maroney was stuffed on two straight plays turning it into a 3rd and long and a FG as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes