PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The official "Laurance Maroney should be the primary back" thread....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I love Corey Dillon and will always appreciate what he has done in the past 3 seasons for the Pats; however, Laurence Maroney needs to be the primary back. Use Dillon on goal line and 3rd and short situations. If Maroney is indeed healthy enough to carry the load, he should get at least 20+ carries a game; stating in Green Bay. It's too hard for running backs to get into a rhythm when they only receive 10-12 carries a game like Maroney has been getting lately. The more carries you get, the more the runner will be able to get the timing down of their blocks from their O-line and eventually break the “big one”. We have heard reports that the Broncos actively tried to get back into the first round to get Maroney. Had the Broncos drafted him, we all know Maroney would be the primary back and probably be in the top 10 in rushing in the NFL. Maroney is a special back and I don’t like how the Patriots have used him so far, especially against the Colts. He is underutilized and when he is used it is mostly on kick returns. With all this said, who knows whether there is something bothering Maroney like the injury reports have indicated. All I’m saying is that sometimes you have to question Pats coaches, especially of how they utilize their players. So who else feels that it is time for Maroney to take over at running back? One more thing, thank the lord the Pats didn't take Bobby Carpenter!

Last edited:
I disagree. Dillon has been outstanding running up the gut while Maroney has been a step slow.

They should alternate based on game situation.

Why the need for a "primary back"? This isn't a beauty contest. Balance is the key and both players bring different skill sets to the game and should/will be used accordingly. Balance will also be considered by the coaches when looking at the entire season, age of Dillon vs rookie burn-out potential of Maroney. Both players have benefited from each other's play, and the entire team has consistently given equal respect to our running backs. I'm happy to follow suit.

I agree with PatsChick. If Dillon goes down, we have fresh legs. If Maroney goes down, we have Dillon's fresh legs. Nobody has been THE guy, and that's helping rather than hurting us.

Of the problems I see out there, production in the running game isn't high on the list. Of the problems in the running game, "Corey's too old" isn't high on my list either, not when he can cross the stripe regularly, and cross the 100 yard mark without too much trouble too.

Careful... you know what happened to Felger...

Seriously, relax. Time is on Maroney's side. For now we have a three-headed monster in the running game, a tight D, and um well, a work in progress going on between Brady, his receivers, and the O line (on passing downs.) THat's where I have the questions, not at RB.

PFnV

We know, we know. Maroney is tight. He's "pitch black."

Thank you. Come again.

The running game is the least of the Pats worries. Dillon is averaging 4.4 yards a carry and Maroney is averagin 4.2 yards a carry with a total of 9 rushing touchdowns. If the Pats committed to one back the production would decrease because the primary runner would get worn down.

Plus the two back set is in vogue in the NFL.

THEARCHIVES said:
I love Corey Dillon and will always appreciate what he has done in the past 3 seasons for the Pats; however, Laurence Maroney needs to be the primary back. Use Dillon on goal line and 3rd and short situations. If Maroney is indeed healthy enough to carry the load, he should get at least 20+ carries a game; stating in Green Bay. It's too hard for running backs to get into a rhythm when they only receive 10-12 carries a game like Maroney has been getting lately. The more carries you get, the more the runner will be able to get the timing down of their blocks from their O-line and eventually break the “big one”. We have heard reports that the Broncos actively tried to get back into the first round to get Maroney. Had the Broncos drafted him, we all know Maroney would be the primary back and probably be in the top 10 in rushing in the NFL. Maroney is a special back and I don’t like how the Patriots have used him so far, especially against the Colts. He is underutilized and when he is used it is mostly on kick returns. With all this said, who knows whether there is something bothering Maroney like the injury reports have indicated. All I’m saying is that sometimes you have to question Pats coaches, especially of how they utilize their players. So who else feels that it is time for Maroney to take over at running back? One more thing, thank the lord the Pats didn't take Bobby Carpenter!

Have your actually watched any of the games?

I'm happy with Maroney but as a responsible football fan I know that you can't make draft judgements until after 3 years. Carpenter could be a bust or he could be a Pro Bowl LB. We can't see that now because, HE'S ON IR THIS SEASON. :eek:

Last edited:
Willie55 said:
The running game is the least of the Pats worries. Dillon is averaging 4.4 yards a carry and Maroney is averagin 4.2 yards a carry with a total of 9 rushing touchdowns. If the Pats committed to one back the production would decrease because the primary runner would get worn down.

Plus the two back set is in vogue in the NFL.

I think the Patriots running game was doing excellent things until defenses figured out whatever it is that they figured out (see the "Tells" thread if you want an in depth guess-session on how defenses are reading our running plays so successfully).

I think Dillon has been extremely good when he's been in there. Most of the time when I've been grumbling about the lack of commitment to the run, I've been grumbling literally that DILLON wasn't in the game.

Dillon is still our workhorse. So far when he hasn't been primarily involved in the game, we've been on the wrong end of the score.

Maroney is a special back, but until the running game improves whatever is going wrong with it, he's not a #1 back. And even when the running game DOES improve whatever ails it, I still think Dillon is a better #1 option, no matter what the number of carries say.

If Dillon could quit getting dinged up every fifth carry he'd still be a #1 back in this league.

PATSNUTme said:
Have you actually watched any of the games?

THis is exactly what I was going to say.

If anything DILLON needs to be used more.

PatsChick87 said:
Why the need for a "primary back"? This isn't a beauty contest. Balance is the key and both players bring different skill sets to the game and should/will be used accordingly. Balance will also be considered by the coaches when looking at the entire season, age of Dillon vs rookie burn-out potential of Maroney. Both players have benefited from each other's play, and the entire team has consistently given equal respect to our running backs. I'm happy to follow suit.

Well said and I agree completely. I think Dillon has been great and very consistent this year. Maroney has occasionally been brilliant but has also been stuffed. Most rookies hit a wall around this time and Maroney has said that it already feels like a full season. I disagree with the OP's comment that he would be the primary back. Tatum Bell is doing fine and Maroney would have replaced MIke Bell (who is also doing fine BTW). I also think both RBs have said how much they benefit from the current balance. Let's keep them both fresh for the playoffs.

Bella*chick said:
THis is exactly what I was going to say.

If anything DILLON needs to be used more.

We have to keep in mind that there are more and more fantasy geeks out there.

They primarily care about the players that they have on their team. Real teams and real football is secondary to them.

PATSNUTme said:
We have to keep in mind that there are more and more fantasy geeks out there.

They primarily care about the players that they have on their team. Real teams and real football is secondary to them.

I know. The crazy thing is, Maroney is ON my fantasy team. I just have no difficulty seeing that he is often stuffed before he even gets to the LOS where Dillon runs people over.

More Dillon, not less!

Both have done a good job this year, however, I see Maroney having a tendancy to dance sometimes before hitting the hole. Dillon has been a beast this year, and deserves to keep splitting time. He makes great reads, and is running with an awful lot of power.

Maroney needs more time to develop. remember LJ of the Chiefs. the first 2 years he was used sparingly and then he broke ou big time in his third year.

Dillon has been great this year. He should absolutely be used more than he has.
Dillon is more patient and runs North to South better.

Maroney is not ready yet to be anything more than a change of pace back and outstanding kick returner.

If he could someday be like Willie Parker that would be great. But not yet........

This idea is about as good as.............

Attachments

• bad idea bear.jpg
    bad idea bear.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 36
PATSNUTme said:
Have your actually watched any of the games?

I'm happy with Maroney but as a responsible football fan I know that you can't make draft judgements until after 3 years. Carpenter could be a bust or he could be a Pro Bowl LB. We can't see that now because, HE'S ON IR THIS SEASON. :eek:

No, the question is, have you been watching any games this season? News flash, Carpenter is starting at LB in place of Ellis. I think you are refering to Chad Greenway of the Vikings. THEARCHIVES wins again! It's so unbeliveable that none of you fans ever want to question what the Pats do. If they were to take a ****, you guys would think it smells like roses. If the Pats were 1-8 right now, you guys would think the Pats are doing the right thing and would keeps things status quo. A better running game=better passing game.

pats1 said:
We know, we know. Maroney is tight. He's "pitch black."

Thank you. Come again.

good observation and so is Chad Jackson. You need to get over it, bro. That joke is way old.

THEARCHIVES said:
No, the question is, have you been watching any games this season? News flash, Carpenter is starting at LB in place of Ellis. I think you are refering to Chad Greenway of the Vikings. THEARCHIVES wins again! It's so unbeliveable that none of you fans ever want to question what the Pats do. If they were to take a ****, you guys would think it smells like roses. If the Pats were 1-8 right now, you guys would think the Pats are doing the right thing and would keeps things status quo. A better running game=better passing game.

I stand corrected on Carpenter. I did have him confused with Greenway.

However, I am correect about:

1. Corey has been doing a very good job. That's what I was reffering to in asking if you have watched any games.

2. It takes three years in order to evaluate if a player is a bust or worth the pick.

I was villified earlier in the year for proclaiming this, but I still feel Maroney needs the majority of reps due to big play potential. Normally a team relies on the pass for the big play, but the Pats passing game is still not up to snuff in that department.

I feel Maroney needs to be in there more bc when the line opens up a huge whole the Pats O can't afford to leave yards on the field.

Case in point, Dillon's 50yd run would have been a Maroney TD. Off top of my head, can't remember if the Pats got a TD on that drive or not, but the point is, as much as I know people will make fun of me for saying, but with our O Dillon's 15yd runs through big holes need to be Maroney 40 yd runs. Sorry but that is the fact about the state of our offense.

THEARCHIVES said:
good observation and so is Chad Jackson. You need to get over it, bro. That joke is way old.

It's more useful than this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye