PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official Julian Edelman Bandwagon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't dislike Edelman as a WR, I just haven't seen him do much to convince me that's he that good. Yeah he had 2 TD's against Baltimore when Welker was out, but that was a while ago. He's elusive in the open field but just doesn't seem to put up numbers. Maybe he does the "small things". I think he's serviceable, a very good backup, but I don't believe he has much upside. Hope I'm wrong.

FWIW I like the guy as a PR.

As a 7th round pick who contributes on STs, as a WR and as a nickle back on D, he's done enough for me. Let's draft more 7th rounders like that.

As a 7th round pick who contributes on STs, as a WR and as a nickle back on D, he's done enough for me. Let's draft more 7th rounders like that.

I love Welker and feel that while the team needs to evolve and diversify, we will miss what Welker brings to the table week in and week out when he is no longer with us next year.

And while Edelman isnt in the same echelon as Welker at the moment, I would be curious to compare the two at similiar points in their career.

How was Welker doing at the same point that Edelman is at now?

Last edited:
I love Welker and feel that while the team needs to evolve and diversify, we will miss what Welker brings to the table week in and week out when he is no longer with us next year.

And while Edelman isnt in the same echelon as Welker at the moment, I would be curious to compare the two at similiar points in their career.

How was Welker doing at the same point that Edelman is at now?

When exactly did you start watching football? In 2006 Wes ran up 67 catches for 687 yards in Miami. Did you even see him play against us? That was his second year.

When exactly did you start watching football? In 2006 Wes ran up 67 catches for 687 yards in Miami. Did you even see him play against us? That was his second year.

His pro career has also been a direct extension of his college career. Edelman is a converted QB. He is also on a team with a lot of pass catching talent, as opposed to the Miami team that Welker was playing on which pretty much blew. You can't compare the two based on the point in their career.

His pro career has also been a direct extension of his college career. Edelman is a converted QB. He is also on a team with a lot of pass catching talent, as opposed to the Miami team that Welker was playing on which pretty much blew. You can't compare the two based on the point in their career.

A team with a lot of pass catching talent should only open up things more for Edelman than a team with nothing besides Welker did in Miami. Your thought process is a flawed one here.

A team with a lot of pass catching talent should only open up things more for Edelman than a team with nothing besides Welker did in Miami. Your thought process is a flawed one here.

Not if you can't get on the field, or if you're the 5th option when you do, which has been the case for Edelman.

Except for his rookie year I guess, and he performed fairly well then.

Not if you can't get on the field, or if you're the 5th option when you do, which has been the case for Edelman.

I really like JE and he is a kind of multitool player. He is a good value. But JE has been on the field more these last two game.

Who has more catches and yards, JE or WW?

Edelman has seen more snaps than Welker this year in an offense where he isn't double covered on a consistent basis that has a lot more options in the passing offense than that Miami team did. Before this year, he was again in a better receiving corps than Welker even had in Miami and, by most accounts, he was one of the least productive WR's in the league. Welker has had better production than him across the board even though he's keyed on twice as much than Edelman ever will be.

Again, your thought process here is a flawed one.

Yes, and I suppose you just threw out those statistics off the top of your head. (but kudos if you did).

Back then I was commuting two hours to do doubles every weekend. Catching games unfortunately came second to paying the mortgage.

50% chance I missed the game or that I was working while I watched it. When we picked up Welker, all I remember about him was that he was a small, scrappy but super agile receiver.

JE is a gamer and I'm sure no one is questioning that. My thing here is if its not broke why fix it. In this case Welker perfected it. He's been #1 slot receiver or as I like to refer to him as just Receiver. It's not like D coordinators came up with a sure fire scheme to stop Welker especially with our 2 TEs in.

+1. I understand the "if teams figure out how to stop Welker, then the offense is screwed" thinking that may have set in with the coaches. Thing is, I can't remember many games where opposing teams actually did figure out how to stop Welker.

If there has in fact been a true change in offensive philosophy from last year, I don't get it at all: our only two real "weaknesses"--WR1 and running back, have been significantly upgraded. Why try to further "evolve" an offensive scheme when you now have the pieces to make the one that was there before lethal? (unless maybe you're a new OC trying to resurrect your fallen reputation as some kind of offensive genius).

Welker did it with Joey Harrington/Cleo Lemon and Daunte Culpepper rotating at QB.

Enough said.

Despite being underused in Miami, only one player in NFL history, Gale Sayers, had more all-purpose yards in his first three NFL seasons than Welker did with the Dolphins.

Yes, Gale Sayers.

Ask your dad about Gale Sayers, young-uns.

Despite being underused in Miami, only one player in NFL history, Gale Sayers, had more all-purpose yards in his first three NFL seasons than Welker did with the Dolphins.

Yes, Gale Sayers.

Ask your dad about Gale Sayers, young-uns.

Was he that Detroit RB? small shifty guy?

I like Edelman and think he's servicable based on what he's shown so far in the NFL. But what I'm hearing about him is always prefaced with the word, "IF".

If ,if, if!!!!

Do people really think that 100 catch seasons in the NFL are typical and that teams can just plug a new guy into the receiver position and boom, there's another 100 catch season. How many times has this ever happened in the NFL? Where one 100 catch receiver is replaced for whatever reason (injury/retirement/trade) by another receiver who then goes on to post 100 catches, or anything close to that?? And Welker has multiple 100 catch seasons. You might be able to count 10 receivers who are currently in the game who have mulitiple 100 cacth seasons. Maybe??? You people who think this is the way it works in the NFL are dilusional.

You are probably the same posters who were sure we would get a 2nd for Hoyer if we traded him. He's out of the NFL last I heard. So, just because Edelman plays for the Pats and is a receiver, does not make him a star receiver, which by the way Welker already is. "IS" not "IF".

Was he that Detroit RB? small shifty guy?

One of the blessings of being older is that I got to see players like Gayle Sayers run the ball. He wasn't that small (6' 198lbs) but he was damn shifty. Too bad he only lasted a few years.

JE is a solid player. But his 4 catches for 39 yards over 2 games is hardly deserving of this thread being open.

Seeing how under appreciated WW is by the majority of the fan base who think he can be replaced by JE, Ebert, Salas, Shipley or any of the other sub-par names offered up over the last 3-5 months I wouldn't sign a deal here either.

I have to say that I'm 100% certain that Wes Welker was, is and forever will go down as, a better Patriot than Julian Edelman.

This thread reminds me of the great Brady/Bledsoe wars that we had on another board in 2001, only this time it's not that close of a comparison.

If Welker isn't playing as much as Edelman for some other reason... money, discipline or anything else, then fine and I'll deal with that if it comes out. But please say that nobody is trying to pass this off as Edelman is better.

If this keeps up... I'm mad as Hell and I'm not going to take this anymore - YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes