PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official Julian Edelman Bandwagon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they're either:

B. Phasing Welker out to prepare Edelman to be the slot WR of the future (more likely)

I agree with this (though I still don't like it). But hey, let's hope it works out. I sure can't wait for Sunday. Even though I think Welker is better, I will still be rooting for Edelman. It would be great to see him succeed.

Who knows, maybe at the end of the year we'll look back at laugh at this thread. Much in the same way that there was once a debate about whether Dustin Pedroia should play over Mark Loretta.

In three seasons plus two games in 2012, (2009-2012) he has a total of 54 receptions and only one touchdown scored as a receiver (2009).

Numbers that are not very impressive.

He plays a position where the player in front of him is one of the best in the league!

He also has had problems with an injury or two!

I think they're either:

A. Phasing Welker out of the offense, getting ready to trade him
B. Phasing Welker out to prepare Edelman to be the slot WR of the future (more likely)

Or it could just be exactly what the Patriots have said it is. . . .

The one problem with having a coach who could teach Machiavelli a few things is that sometimes people refuse to believe that a spade really is just a spade.

Last edited:
I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing is Welker 'only' catches 85 balls. I think we do need some diversity in the offense.

Yes we do; I can't wait for Hernandez to return to the offense.

My concern was that going into the season (and last season for that matter) Wes Welker was considered by many on this board to be the greatest slot receiver in NFL history. It's just crazy to see how much that has changed just two weeks into the season.

Indeed he is but it becomes a dilemma when you have a guy like JE waiting in the reigns. Now JE hasn't shown much and that's being generous but we do know that : a) he is short b) he is white c) he is shifty

So there is instantly potential there.

If he's such a crappy receiver why is he seeing the field so much? There are certainly other options, but he's still out there.

Don't know, they must have zero depth at the position.

Let's see, you guys have been claiming that the reason Edelman hasn't produced is that he doesn't get the time, now he's seen it, what has he done?

6 receptions for 57 yards. He's awesome.

The guy has done nothing as a WR yet people insist he can replace the most productive WR in football the past 5 years, it's ridiculous, and there is absolutely nothing in fact that supports it, just fantasy.

analyze the "Phasing Welker out to prepare Edelman to be the slot WR of the future" argument more closely.

So... they're grooming soon-to-be free agent Edelman to replace soon-to-be free agent Welker, while in the process giving JE a lot more snaps and surely (if he succeeds) making him more expensive than he would otherwise be?

If Julian were the heir-apparent, wouldn't they limit his snaps right now and get all the productivity out of Welker that they can, until he's tossed aside?

A more likely scenario is to split the snaps, keep both fresh, and to see if either should be brought back next year at a cost in line with what the franchise wants to budget for their role(s).

Not a sexy conspiracy theory, but the truth seldom is.

There's actually some anecdotal evidence to back this up. Edelman reportedly worked his tail off with Brady during the off-season while Welker was going through his contract turmoil. Plus, BB has stated that he has improved EVERY aspect of his game over last year. And let's face it: with the ongoing emphasis on tight ends in the passing game plus addition of a legit outside threat in Lloyd, slot receiver isn't as vital to the passing game as before.

Edelman isn't as good a receiver as Welker, but he apparently is good enough that the drop-off isn't catastrophic. Another key is that he's quite arguably a better punt returner than Wes. It seems likely to me that Welker won't be back next season and that Edelman is his (younger) replacement.

Finally, Edelman has shown added versatility playing defensive back AND I would presume he's likely the third (emergency) quarterback given his college background. Add it up and his elevation of status makes sense from the team's perspective while not boding well for Welker being a Patriot after this season.

It might end up that Wes shot himself in the foot by playing hardball in contract negotiations (especially at his age) and not signing a team-friendly pact vs. signing the franchise tag.

This. Nuff said.

I still don't get why people drone on about 'slot receiver'. You may as well call it a 'slot TE' because 99% of he time it's a TE in that spot. Slot WR position is almost dead in this offence.

Last edited:
It might end up that Wes shot himself in the foot by playing hardball in contract negotiations (especially at his age) and not signing a team-friendly pact vs. signing the franchise tag.

Welker shot himself in the foot by putting the Patriots over himself, he should have taken them to arbitration for abusing the franchise tag, had it removed because they never bargained in good faith, and signed elsewhere for the 50-60 million he deserved. It's a shame the Patriots scumbagged him the way they did, they disgraced themselves.

Welker shot himself in the foot by putting the Patriots over himself, he should have taken them to arbitration for abusing the franchise tag, had it removed because they never bargained in good faith, and signed elsewhere for the 50-60 million he deserved. It's a shame the Patriots scumbagged him the way they did, they disgraced themselves.

:ugh:

Welker shot himself in the foot by putting the Patriots over himself
The minute Welker signed the franchise tag, he lost all negotiating leverage whatsoever.

It's a shame the Patriots scumbagged him the way they did, they disgraced themselves.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read.

Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

I award you no stars, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Or if your prefer, a simple response of "WRONG!" fits your post just fine.

Last edited:

Ok, I see the Like button. Now where is the You Are a Moron button??

While I grant you that Edelman should be a fan favorite due to his history of college QB turned CB turned WR, I can't see it happening on the heels of uber-favorite Welker's likely departure. Unfortunately, Edleman has suffered from the Wes-light comparisons since being drafted. That scrutiny will undoubtedly increase if he indeed is asked to fill Welker's shoes next season.

The standard model currently embraced in particle physics posits an anti-particle for every particle.

I present to you, the anti-Gisele!

Last edited:
What time did the bars open this morning in your neighborhood?

I just want to see Edelman hold the ball during Kicks so he can throw in a trick play or two.

Honestly don't see Edelman doing any other sort of trick play (throwing during downs 1-3) because that would mean Brady has to either go out wide or block for Edelman.

Actually I also wonder why we don't have Brady punt more often... we could essentially act like we're going for it on fourth down every play and just punt it. Then once in awhile Brady would throw.

Maybe not safe, but interesting to dream about.

I don't dislike Edelman as a WR, I just haven't seen him do much to convince me that's he that good. Yeah he had 2 TD's against Baltimore when Welker was out, but that was a while ago. He's elusive in the open field but just doesn't seem to put up numbers. Maybe he does the "small things". I think he's serviceable, a very good backup, but I don't believe he has much upside. Hope I'm wrong.

FWIW I like the guy as a PR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back