PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official "How much does Asante want" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

fumbrunner

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Ok, so what is everyone's guess on what it would take to keep him here and what he would see as an acceptable offer?

my guess? Pats offer the same deal that AD got (5 -$35 mill, 20 guaranteed). Asante probably looking at something like 7 for $70 million and up to $30 million guaranteed.

drevil.jpg

I think he'll make about the same as Nate Clemens. And I think it will be with a team not named "New England Patriots".

Well this is what Clements got :

"3/2/2007: Signed an eight-year, $80 million contract. The deal contains $22.6 million in guarantees. With a void year in 2014, it is essentially for seven seasons and $64.02 million. 2008: $3,383,334 (+ $10 million roster bonus), 2009: $3,516,666, 2010: $6 million, 2011: $7.25 million, 2012: $9 million, 2013: $10.77 million, 2014: $15.48 million, 2015: Free Agent"

Since that writing, 2014 has, indeed, voided. Making it 7 years/$64M with $22.6M guaranteed.

That's the standard for shut down corners? Clements isn't worth that. What type of studs are we looking at at #7? What type of money are we talking at #7?

Enough to "feed his family". Do you have any idea how much it costs to insure a Ferrari?

On a serious note, given the bang for the buck from the Clement deal (14PD, 4INT, 92 TACK), do you think a team will throw out similar money for Samuel?

Last edited:
Last year's #7 got 6 years/$40.5M/$6.75M signing bonus.
Last year's #10 got 6years/$15.40M/$2.57M signing bonus.

Huge drop there.

They gotta do something about that. That's absurd.

Who was the seventh pick last year?

I believe Ginn was #10. I'm suprised he wasn't required to donate money.

I agree about the whole rookies making so much money thing being rediculous. The #1 pick in the NFL draft makes as much as a proven pro-bowler, with only a fraction of the guarantee that you are getting a good player.

I agree about the whole rookies making so much money thing being rediculous. The #1 pick in the NFL draft makes as much as a proven pro-bowler, with only a fraction of the guarantee that you are getting a good player.

I disagree. If teams are willing to pay that much, then that's what they're worth. If not, then they couldn't demand that much money. All of the risk is on the players end anyway, if they suck and get cut or get injured, very little is guaranteed. Look at Adrian Peterson; rookie or not, are you going to tell me that the best player on the Vikings isn't worth that much?

My point here is that as Pats fans we should hope that nothing is changed. As long as sh!tty teams overpay for top draft picks, they will have unbalanced teams that are centered around one star that either does or does not make it. This benefits the more elite teams (Pats) who normally wouldn't get such a high end pick and thus do not need to take such a risk.

Economically, as soon as the risk placed on paying these top picks such a high percentage of the salary cap outweighs the reward, teams will stop doing it, and rookies will stop demanding what they won't be able to get. So for the Pats, you have a blue chip in the number 7 pick because there are teams that will build off of it and trade you more steady, reliable value with a little less upside but a much more reliable downside.

Restructuring the salary cap to put restrictions on top draft picks will only help lesser teams shore up risk and improve parity. It will hurt teams like the Pats by giving a much better chance fo sh!ttier teams to improve drastically from one year to the next.

Believe me, a team like the Pats, who can decrease risk by turning one huge upside draft pick into two or three decent upside draft picks and decrease the risk involved by spreading it around, will most definitely benefit by other teams putting so much stock into high end picks. I can categorically guarantee that a solid, well-rounded team like the Pats, unless there is a huge impact change in the roster (several core players) before next year, will trade a pick that high and benefit greatly from its perceived worth to a team willing to gamble with nothing to lose.

If you extrapolate this situation to a more global, albeit imprecise, analogy, then you could recognize that in general, the less restrictions placed on the free market, the more that benefits those who are already at the top. This is just simple economics. The salary cap did away with the competitive advantage that larger market teams had, but restricting this will do away the competitive advantage that teams with an abundance of resources (the Pats) have. In short, the Pats in this situation are the United States and the Jets are Mexico, if you want that disparity decreased, then you want restrictions on the percentage of the salary cap that high end draft picks can successfully demand and a reduction in the desperation of countries like El Salvador and teams like the Dolphins.

Last edited:
How much does he want? Not sure, but had he made the INT to win the game, he could have named his price..............................

Last year's #7 got 6 years/$40.5M/$6.75M signing bonus.
Last year's #10 got 6years/$15.40M/$2.57M signing bonus.

Huge drop there.

How much of the $40.5 million is it reasonable to presume that Peterson actually get??

He missed out on $1 million this year because he did not rush for 2,000 yards.
He missed out on another $1 million this year because he did not score 20 TDs.
For every year that he does not rush for 2,000 yards take a million off.
For every year that he does not score 20 TDs take another million off.

His agent did a great job of fluffing up the numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes