PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official "Everything OTA" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michael Giardi ‏@MikeGiardi 1h
Vereen still fights that wheel route. Every. Single. Time. UDFA Roy Finch again popped a couple times yesterday.

I find this disconcerting in light of last year's drops which, at the time, many gave him a pass on due to his wrist. Something to watch as Vereen will be facing better competition this year in White and Finch.

Finch is an exciting prospect, though he is quite the tiny little guy. Like Darren Sproles less 23 lbs.

the thing I'm REALLY excited to see, is how well Brady, and the receivers get better practicing against top tier DB's for an entire offseason.

Browner CB, Mccourty FS, and Revis CB, are a trio that i would say is the best the patriots have ever had while Brady has been starting.

We have had years where we had one good CB(Asante, Talib)
And a few years with a okay/Good Duo CB(Talib/dennard)(Law/Asante)

But this year of Defensive backfield is top notch. throw in dennard who looked like he had some decent skills in his rookie season. It should really push the offense to another level going against an Elite defense every day in practice.

I find this disconcerting in light of last year's drops which, at the time, many gave him a pass on due to his wrist. Something to watch as Vereen will be facing better competition this year in White and Finch.
It's not really something to watch at all since Vereen is already a proven playmaker when healthy.

I think Thompkins makes the team. He is actually one of my favorite prospects at WR. He has good off the line moves, can get open and has decent hands. His rookie campaign was impressive considering all the struggles of last season in the group. He has all the tools to be a very good #3 in this offense.

If there's anyone I want to make the 2nd year jump it's Boyce. I guess I'm assuming Collins will but Boyce's athleticism jumped off the screen even in a crappy year.
I always thought Boyce reminded me of a poor man's Torrey Smith, or our own Irving Fryar, a speedy WR in a RB's body. It's good to hear he's making some good progress and is looking good at the OTAs.

It's not really something to watch at all since Vereen is already a proven playmaker when healthy.

He had a great game in week 1 vs Buffalo and a great game vs Houston in the playoffs the year prior but he goes long stretches without making an impact. He has the ability to have a lot more production than he's had.

He had a great game in week 1 vs Buffalo and a great game vs Houston in the playoffs the year prior but he goes long stretches without making an impact. He has the ability to have a lot more production than he's had.

2013 was his first real chance.

2011 and 2012 Woodhead had his role.

If you average out what he did in 8 games last year he was in on pace for

80-90 rec
700-800 yards
5-6 TD

Best receiving RB in the league last year was Jamal Charles

70 rec
693 yards
7 TD

Last edited:

Hopefully, he can get over those drops on the wheel routes. It's quite possible that he may have become used to having the cast on, which obviously caused him limitations.

It should be noted just as well, that he made a nice handful of drops once the cast came off though too, which I believe you've hinted at.

We all know his importance in this offense, so I'm hoping that the issue can be improved upon by the time the season starts. The tweet that you quoted is indeed a bit concerning, however; at least as it pertains to that specific subject.

I think Thompkins makes the team. He is actually one of my favorite prospects at WR. He has good off the line moves, can get open and has decent hands. His rookie campaign was impressive considering all the struggles of last season in the group. He has all the tools to be a very good #3 in this offense.

My first reaction was "God (goodness would be a better word), let's hope not."

A more appropriate post would be that "I respectfully disagree."

I have no problem with hanging onto Thompkins as a depth option who can possibly continue to improve in both the film room and during practice over the course of another year, but I personally don't want to have to see him as our 3rd WR--yikes.

To be honest with you, I believe his "impressive rookie campaign" was overblown, considering the fact that he basically disappeared after the middle of October, aside from the DEN game. He had a total of 11 catches over the last double digit number of games, IIRC. He took advantage of having no other options in the receiving game when both of Gronk/Vereen were injured, but let's not forget his struggles just as well.

My first reaction was "God (goodness would be a better word), let's hope not."

A more appropriate post would be that "I respectfully disagree."

I have no problem with hanging onto Thompkins as a depth option who can possibly continue to improve in both the film room and during practice over the course of another year, but I personally don't want to have to see him as our 3rd WR--yikes.

To be honest with you, I believe his "impressive rookie campaign" was overblown, considering the fact that he basically disappeared after the middle of October, aside from the DEN game. He had a total of 11 catches over the last double digit number of games, IIRC. He took advantage of having no other options in the receiving game when both of Gronk/Vereen were injured, but let's not forget his struggles just as well.

We shouldn't forget he was a rookie either. He could progress beyond what he did last season a great deal or not at all. If he ends up as the #3, I wouldn't be alarmed. That would mean he did get better. If he gets cut.. whatever.

We shouldn't forget he was a rookie either. He could progress beyond what he did last season a great deal or not at all. If he ends up as the #3, I wouldn't be alarmed. That would mean he did get better. If he gets cut.. whatever.

With Amendola, Edelman, Dobson, and LaFell, I would be completely shocked if Kenbrell Thompkins ended up as the WR3.

My concern with his rookie year (aside from being overrated in my opinion), was the fact that he did not progress, he trended in the opposite direction as the year went on.

I certainly understand your point though. If he earns a spot as the WR3, more power to him, and good for his effort. That won't bode well for the guys who we have much higher hopes for, however.

His wrist didn't help, but his technique consistently puts him in a tough spot to make the catch. He usually gets enough separation that he could afford to take another step toward the sideline before turning upfield. With the way Tom throws the ball over the outside shoulder away from coverage, Vereen consistently puts himself in a position where he has to catch the ball coming right over his head. This is what OTAs are for - to get everybody on the same page and figure out how to improve the way plays are run. The timing might need to change slightly, but it can be fixed and it should be, because that route is good for a half dozen more big plays a year, if Vereen can catch the ball consistently. Frankly, if he and Brady and their coaches can't get the wheel route to work out, they simply aren't doing their job.

@jeffphowe: Garoppolo had a really strong day while Mallett had an excuses absence. Brady was on point, too. Edelman caught a couple passes on Revis.

@cpriceNFL: Garoppolo had a good start--he got a lot of reps without Mallett, and had some good throws, including a really sweet floater to Finch.

@jeffphowe: Garoppolo had a really strong day while Mallett had an excuses absence. Brady was on point, too. Edelman caught a couple passes on Revis.

@cpriceNFL: Garoppolo had a good start--he got a lot of reps without Mallett, and had some good throws, including a really sweet floater to Finch.
Nice to hear this. Unlike Ocho Stinko, sounds like Garoppolo buried his head in his playbook.

A mediocre JAG slot receiver beating Revis?
I'm skipping following the 2014 season :(

All joking aside, Edelman versus Revis in practice has got to be pretty intense. Those are two guys who sound like they don't want to lose at ANYTHING. Add that it's Brady throwing the ball, and someone in that trio is getting a black eye by the end of camp.

SO jacked & pumped to attend summer camp!

Reiss tweeted Vince took part in some 11 on 11 drills! Me thinks many will owe the big man an apology.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patr...ions_jimmy_garoppolo_has_best_day_nate_solder

"Brady hit Amendola on a terrific touchdown throw on a post route. Amendola beat Kyle Arrington and both safeties for the score.

Brady also threw a majestic lob pass to the left corner of the end zone to Edelman. The ball left Brady's hand before Edelman even made his break, and it led Edelman to the far corner.

Brady was perfect today. Very few balls hit the turf. This was far and away the offense's best practice under the media's watch.

Watch for the running backs to catch a ton of passes this year. Shane Vereen, James White and Roy Finch all look very good in that department.

Kenbrell Thompkins had a ton of targets today from both quarterbacks. It was his most active practice of the bunch."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back