PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

*The Official Draft Rolando McClain warwagon!*

TriplecHamp

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Dear BB, this is the ILB of your dreams (I think) If you could be so kind to draft him to play alongside Mayo it would be greatly appreciated. I understand tha Dline and Oline and even pass rush may be bigger needs right now but this is part of the formula to a fast aggressive SMART defense. Please also draft DE help if available.:D
The Following are not highlight films but rather a collection of plays (good and bad) that will show Rolando's talent and what he needs to work on. IMO this guy would be perfect alongside Mayo. Some argue pass rush is a bigger need and would rather see maybe a Greg Hardy, Sergio Kindle or Jerry Hughes drafted but RM would bring a more complete backer than any of those offer and Id also like to see more pressure from up the middle. RM is a 3 down backer with an excellent work ethic and great speed. WAR ROLANDO McCLAIN:D
YouTube - Universal Draft Presents LB Rolando McClain of Alabama - Part 1 of 2
YouTube - Universal Draft Presents LB Rolando McClain of Alabama - Part 2 of 2
Rolando McClain Stats, News, Photos - Alabama Crimson Tide - NCAA College Football - ESPN

I approve of this message.

We may have to trade up for him but I would be happy with the pick.

I say no, tbh. The team has too many needs to be trading up like that, and a mid-round run-stuffer sharing time with Guyton and McKenzie is good enough, imo. I think OLB, WR, Guard, and maybe even TE are all bigger needs, along with CB if Bodden leaves.

I'm fine with trading up for a blue-chip ILB or NT or DE.

I say no, tbh. The team has too many needs to be trading up like that, and a mid-round run-stuffer sharing time with Guyton and McKenzie is good enough, imo. I think OLB, WR, Guard, and maybe even TE are all bigger needs, along with CB if Bodden leaves.

I agree with you about our needs but honestly we can get all of those along with McClain. Draft McClain in the first using one of your twos and Go OLB and WR in the second. There is only one tight end that will go in the first round and most likely same with OG. Dez Bryant may be the only wideout to go in the first round as well so I think you have to go BPA or tradeup if we stay where we are. Sergio Kindle would be a good option around where we pick as would Gresham if TE is your favorite option.

I agree with you about our needs but honestly we can get all of those along with McClain. Draft McClain in the first using one of your twos and Go OLB and WR in the second. There is only one tight end that will go in the first round and most likely same with OG. Dez Bryant may be the only wideout to go in the first round as well so I think you have to go BPA or tradeup if we stay where we are. Sergio Kindle would be a good option around where we pick as would Gresham if TE is your favorite option.

Yeah, but using a 1st and 2nd to trade up leaves 2 2nds for other needs. That means that out of WR, Guard, TE, and run-stuffing ILB, 2 can be filled in the 2nd, while the other 2 have to wait until the 4th or later. I'd rather get 4 solid guys than pay a lot for one stud.

Yeah, but using a 1st and 2nd to trade up leaves 2 2nds for other needs. That means that out of WR, Guard, TE, and run-stuffing ILB, 2 can be filled in the 2nd, while the other 2 have to wait until the 4th or later. I'd rather get 4 solid guys than pay a lot for one stud.

We have enough solid players. We need playmakers

We may have to trade up for him but I would be happy with the pick.

I agree... and with the 22/23 pick in the draft, we might not have to trade up that much.

McClain is your run stuffer, your Blitzer, your coverage backer, he can pretty much do it all and If he dosnt satisfy the run stuffer your looking for dont forget we have McKenzie back next season. We can get a third out of a trade or possibly compensation for Wilfork if he walks. I like Jordan Shipley who we can get with at third or late second and you can get Aaron Hernandez in the second as well. OG is weak this year so unless we get one in the first round we would be reaching on one in the second.

I am on this wagon too......I approve this message

McClain is your run stuffer, your Blitzer, your coverage backer, he can pretty much do it all and If he dosnt satisfy the run stuffer your looking for dont forget we have McKenzie back next season. We can get a third out of a trade or possibly compensation for Wilfork if he walks. I like Jordan Shipley who we can get with at third or late second and you can get Aaron Hernandez in the second as well. OG is weak this year so unless we get one in the first round we would be reaching on one in the second.

I think you're right on McClain. He is so physically gifted, yet he understands the game of football well beyond his years. To have a player that smart out there, pairing him with another smart guy in Mayo, would just be so good.

I also think McClain could develop into a big time leader for this team. Of course, the Pats will have to trade up to go get him. I don't care, throw one of the 2nd rounders, maybe a third rounder in 2011. Go get the kid.

I think you're right on McClain. He is so physically gifted, yet he understands the game of football well beyond his years. To have a player that smart out there, pairing him with another smart guy in Mayo, would just be so good.

I also think McClain could develop into a big time leader for this team. Of course, the Pats will have to trade up to go get him. I don't care, throw one of the 2nd rounders, maybe a third rounder in 2011. Go get the kid.

Rarely do I focus on only one draft prospect, simply because the entire draft, if managed correctly, can address most needs. But when you observe the Pats defense on a weekly basis, it's obvious the D is missing some key ingredients. The lack of experience and leadership is a huge void. The lack of impact players in the front seven is another. I see McClain as one player who not only will make an impact physically, but being a leader on a Saban-coached defense, will provide the veteran smarts necessary to correct the Pats mistake prone defense. And unlike a rookie edge rusher, he'll start from the get-go. This defense, for the entire season, was inconsistent at best. McClain, Mayo, and the young talent in the secondary will help solidify the foundation and create an identity that was sorely missed. Belichick has to start somewhere...and adding this one player will address several concerns.

we didnt win three superbowls on pass rushing... I miss Bruschi :(

We have enough solid players. We need playmakers

I agree, we need playmakers. Preferably more than 1.

McClain is my #1 prospect for the Pats, and I'd be in favor of trading up for him if possible and the cost is not prohibitive. As an alternative, I'd also consider going after Karlos Dansby in FA, as he will almost certainly be a UFA. I think that Dansby is a less talented but more experienced version of McClain, and would bring a veteran presence. That would allow us to target other playmakers. I would also consider packaging 42 and 45 to move into the 1st round and get a second blue chip prospect.

Mayo,

If Berry fell out of the top 10 based on the history of safeties not being selected in the top 10 would you take him?

It seems as though he diagnoses plays very well. But, it also seems as though he is an arm tackler. No thanks

I like McClain especially since he was the QB of Saban's defense, but I think a playmaker at OLB is a bigger 1st round need. Our pass rush is abysmal. You can't expect your corners to be able to cover WR's for 7 seconds and you can't give the QB all day to operate.

I think it's a combination of personnel and scheme. We didn't really have anyone with the skill set of a great pass rusher, although we all thought Adalius would be that guy. Our scheme also doesn't seem to be mad for an elite pass rusher. The style of D the Ravens play is a much more aggressive and attacking scheme. We like trying to confuse people by dropping different people into coverage. I don't like our read and react style of defense. I'd much rather us try to force the issue on defense and turn up the aggressiveness instead of sitting back and guarding so much against the big play. Look at how Baltimore's aggression rattled Brady and our offense today.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back