PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official Devin McCourty Fan Club Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looked like Meriweather to me.

Also forgot that McCourty almost picked off another deep pass near the end zone until I believe Harvin tackled him. He was in perfect position for that one as well.

brandon threw the first one which was good but then someone came in from the side and crunched a Viking ... happened about 10 yards before the tackle.

Found it ... it was Cunningham at 2:08.

Knocked the side judge down also.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-...bc40a0/GameDay-Vikings-vs-Patriots-highlights

Last edited:
Another tidbit:

– Devin McCourty continues to impress, stripping a falling Percy Harvin of the ball (a throw from Favre that was slightly behind the wideout) and returning the INT 37 yards. BenJarvus Green Ellis scored on a 13-yard INT just three plays later to give the Patriots a 21-10 lead. McCourty really demonstrated why he might turn out to be a true No. 1 corner earlier in the third quarter, matching Percy Harvin (as fast as any WR in the league) stride-for-stride before breaking up a pass at the New England five-yard line.

It Is What It Is Snap Judgments: Patriots 28, Vikings 18

brandon threw the first one which was good but then someone came in from the side and crunched a Viking ... happened about 10 yards before the tackle.

Found it ... it was Cunningham at 2:08.

Knocked the side judge down also.

NFL Videos: GameDay: Vikings vs. Patriots highlights

WHOO! How did I miss that block by Cunningham? I was focused on that first block to spring him on the return, but boy, did Cunningham destroy that guy. These kids on defense are amazing. And this was all without Chung, who should be coming back soon.

ummmm

where do i sign up? this kid really really really legit

we might not have need for bodden next year ;)

I'm a fan of this kid. I'm just hoping he stays healthy through out the season.

Last edited:
I learned a good lesson that on draft day I should not be upset regardless of who BB chooses. Bill may pass up on an "elite" player and grab some guy who we never even heard of, but it is all carefully thought out and best for the team in the near and far future.

I was pissed when Bill didn't take Dez on draft day but man I am so glad he didn't now. Not anything against Dez, although he is a little numb, he has been a decent player this year for the Cowboys. McCourty, on the other hand, looks like he may become the next Darelle Revis. If we didn't go corner in the 1st round we may have been screwed. I also think Hernandez makes our offense more dangerous than Dez would, and Hernandez was a 4th rounder!

I was also puzzled when we didn't grab Sergio Kindle and instead went with Cunningham (who I had to wikipedia at the time), yet Cunningham has been far more productive this season than Kindle who hasn't even played I'm pretty sure. Then there was Everson Griffen who was thought to be 1st round talent and dropped to the 4th. We got Deadrick in the 7th who has gotten plenty of reps and looks solid. Plus, Griffen hasn't played much at all.

I'm pretty much in total agreement w/this. Has anyone else found themselves less interested in the draft (leading up to the draft) because the Pats don't pick the obvious guys, but the majority of times they're the RIGHT guys? Seriously, whatever the picks are I just nod my head and think, "ok, he's probably good."

we might not have need for bodden next year ;)

Seriously, the thing is if this D continues to improve like it has been, getting guys like Bodden & Warren back next year, plus new rookies w/all those picks.....well, it'll be pretty cool.

FYI, I am the founder and president of the Devin McCourty fan club. I admit I am not a Patriots fan but I have been a DMac fan for about 4 years now. I now watch Pats games to continue to root for Devin. Of course I end up rooting for the Pats because of that fact. So I guess maybe I am a fan now. I have shared here that you guys got a gem by picking Devin. I saw him during his entire career at Rutgers and he was a shutdown CB his last 2 years. What he is doing is no surprise at all. He is a great talent and an even better team guy. He will do exactly what he is asked and rarely ever makes the same mistake twice.

Go DMac and Go Pats!

LOL @ the Jets clown who posts on this board trying to downplay McCourty so far this year. BTW, Jets suck.

Last edited:
FYI, I am the founder and president of the Devin McCourty fan club. I admit I am not a Patriots fan but I have been a DMac fan for about 4 years now. I now watch Pats games to continue to root for Devin. Of course I end up rooting for the Pats because of that fact. So I guess maybe I am a fan now. I have shared here that you guys got a gem by picking Devin. I saw him during his entire career at Rutgers and he was a shutdown CB his last 2 years. What he is doing is no surprise at all. He is a great talent and an even better team guy. He will do exactly what he is asked and rarely ever makes the same mistake twice.

Go DMac and Go Pats!

LOL @ the Jets clown who posts on this board trying to downplay McCourty so far this year. BTW, Jets suck.

this guy gets it, LOL

the guy cunningham destroyed was peterson by the way

this guy gets it, LOL

the guy cunningham destroyed was peterson by the way

Is there a clip of that? I missed Cunningham laying out Peterson.
Ok, I found the clip and yep he got smashed.

Last edited:

Go DMac and Go Pats!

Welcome to the board :D And I totally get what you mean. I only became a Pats fan to watch my fav college player, Tom Brady. Of course I only tuned in so I could watch what I thought would be the last few games of his career before becoming a journeyman back-up...glad I got that one so wrong.

McCourty has shown a lot of talent but I've really been impressed with how quickly he learns. You're right, he rarely ever makes the same mistake twice. BB has mentioned several times how smart he is, how he's one of the few players who knows not only his position, but everyone else's too.

I know some people hate ProFootballFocus.com, but they have some intriguing insights. Their weekly game reviews include a special section for rookies so they've been tracking some stats that I haven't seen anywhere else for McCourty:

Week 8 vs. Vikings
5 targets (passes thrown at him) for 15 yards, 1 INT.

Week 7 at Chargers
6 targets, 1 completion, 1 INT

Week 6 vs. Ravens
9 targets, 7 completions

Week 4 at Dolphins
3 targets for 8 yards.

Week 3 vs. Bills
Allowed 4 receptions for 72 yards and a TD

Week 2 at Jets
7 targets, 5 completions for 29 yards

Week 1 vs. Bengals
8 targets, 45 yards, only 8 yards after catch, 2 PD

These are based on the free game re-caps so the info available is a bit inconsistent and incomplete. For example, I clearly remember McCourty giving up a TD against the Jets but that wasn't mentioned. Maybe it is in the subscriber section. But the picture these numbers form is very promising.

Congrats to Devin on his first of (hopefully) many Manning INTs. He also had 2 passes defensed against the Colts.

A few more updates with some info from ProFootballFocus - Every game, every player, every play. Information, analysis and in-depth NFL statistics.. He played poorly against the Browns, but rebounded nicely these past two weeks against elite competition.

Week 11 vs. Colts
Allowed 5 of 9 passes. 2 passes defensed, 1 INT, 5 solo tackles, 6 total tackles.

Week 10 at Steelers
Finished with 7 solo tackles, 11 total tackles, and 1 pass defensed. PFF gave him credit for 2 passes defensed. Did pick up two penalties though (defensive holding, illegal contact).

Week 9 at Browns
Gave up 5 catches on 6 targets. 6 solo tackles.

On the season so far, 54 tackles, 3 INTs, and 10 passes defensed.

Last edited:
I can seriously see McCourty island up over the horizon. It's a beautiful island.

I can seriously see McCourty island up over the horizon. It's a beautiful island.

I don't know if I want to copy the Jets on that, but it brings up a good point that we may need to find a good nickname for Devin the way he's playing.

He's still got a long way to go before getting mentioned with Revis or Nnamdi or old-school Ty Law or any of the other shutdown guys. But he's got that kind of potential.

I don't know if I want to copy the Jets on that, but it brings up a good point that we may need to find a good nickname for Devin the way he's playing.

He's still got a long way to go before getting mentioned with Revis or Nnamdi or old-school Ty Law or any of the other shutdown guys. But he's got that kind of potential.

Yeah, I don't really think he should be called that but I'm sure he will earn a nice nickname. I honestly think that he will reach that potential. He has the athletic ability, but it's his work ethic and intelligence of football that will help him reach that status. Here's a nice article on McCourty and opinions of him from team mates.
:rocker:
New England Patriots cornerback Devin McCourty, Detroit Lions lineman Ndamukong Suh lead NFL's rookie class - ESPN Boston

He continues the legal precedents set by the Patriots secondary under BB. First Lawyer Milloy and Ty Law set up shop, and now Devin McCourty presides. Opposing players can just refer to him as "your honor" while in his courtroom.

Last edited:
He continues the legal precedents set by the Patriots secondary under BB. First Lawyer Milloy and Ty Law set up shop, and now Devin McCourty presides. Opposing players can just refer to him as "your honor" while in his courtroom.
There's McCourty's nickname.. The Judge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down