PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

***THE OFFICIAL 2014 New England Patriots training camp thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any hope for Joe Vellano, or does he get cut?

As BB likes to say no one stays the same, you either get better or worse.
For a second year player its even more important. If he doesn't look like he came back to camp stronger and quicker/more agile than he was last year, its pretty much proof he hit his ceiling last year, and his chances won' t be good. However, if he worked and improved over the offseason he has every chance to make the team.

Taken with a grain of salt, I assume.

No. Zolak was on the radio saying that's what we're going to see this year. Mayo's the MLB.

Other news of import, I thought, was that Cannon took snaps at guard.

Mrs B has stated here that with twitter, etc. and increased coverage that she felt her camp posts were no longer needed.

With so many people reporting, there's a lot of duplication. The next thing we'll probably start seeing is people focusing on, and reporting on, just specific players or groups. It would actually be great if there were a group effort of assorted training camp geeks to cover them that way, while the media does the general stuff. Unfortunately, that would require a lot of people to take a lot of time out of their summer.

To me, the biggest news of the day is that Mayo's in the middle.

Everything on these types of days is grasping at tidbits, but I think you've got the right idea: Where they seem to be positioning guys and who's getting first team reps is probably more indicative than trying to rate their individual practice performance. Along those lines, having Thompkins running with the 1's while Boyce is with the 2's tells me who's got the inside track in the early going, but not much else.

No. Zolak was on the radio saying that's what we're going to see this year. Mayo's the MLB.

Other news of import, I thought, was that Cannon took snaps at guard.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. That means that Hightower is likely the Will. That lack of athleticism would be easy to exploit (unless they're planning on moving him to DE and making Anderson the Will).

I'm not sure how I feel about that. That means that Hightower is likely the Will. That lack of athleticism would be easy to exploit (unless they're planning on moving him to DE and making Anderson the Will).

Hightower is the SAM

My amateur analysis: They're counting on running the majority of their plays with only 2 stand-up linebackers on the field (likely varieties of a 4-2-5 nickel). In this scenario, Mayo and Collins are probably your linebackers, and Hightower will be competing for snaps in the DE rotation, as well as playing the heavier running downs. Again, just wild speculation at this point, but that's my theory.

From what Zolak was saying, expect Hightower to be pulled in a lot of passing situations, and expect him to blitz a lot on those occasions where he's actually on the field.*

*I think we need to add an obvious caveat, and consider it as written into every post of this sort, which is "Of course, with BB, that'll be affected by matchup decisions, and could change from game to game."

I am thinking –
Sam – Hightower
Mike – Mayo
Will – Collins

My amateur analysis: They're counting on running the majority of their plays with only 2 stand-up linebackers on the field (likely varieties of a 4-2-5 nickel). In this scenario, Mayo and Collins are probably your linebackers, and Hightower will be competing for snaps in the DE rotation, as well as playing the heavier running downs. Again, just wild speculation at this point, but that's my theory.

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for as well. Neither Mayo nor Collins are the liabilities in coverage that Hightower is.

I am thinking –
Sam – Hightower
Mike – Mayo
Will – Collins

If Hightower is the Sam, that means his responsibility the majority of the time (outside of run support) would be the TE or the slot receiver. Hightower can play strong side because he is excellent at coming up and taking on the run, but I don't see the point of moving him there given the coverage responsibilities he would have. That would be an automatic win for the offense. Of course, so much is going to depend on match-ups and I highly doubt we'll spend much time in our base defense, but (for the purpose of debate) I don't see much of an argument for moving Hightower to the Sam and Collins to the Will.

Here are observations from Day 1:

– Wide receiver Kenbrell Thompkins continued his strong offseason with a number of receptions from quarterback Tom Brady. Thompkins laid out for a diving catch in the end zone, though it appeared he was unable to stay in bounds.

– Receiver Brandon LaFell, on the other hand, struggled with drops, which for fans of the Carolina Panthers is a familiar phrase. Head coach Bill Belichick stressed during his pre-practice news conference not to judge a player based on one practice, however, so LaFell still can improve.

– Brady went 4-for-9 passing in 7-on-7s and 12-for-16 passing in 11-on-11s. Quarterback Ryan Mallett went 4-for-7 with a drop in 7-on-7s and 1-for-6 in 11-on-11s with a drop. Rookie signal-caller Jimmy Garoppolo went 2-for-5 with a drop and an interception in 7-on-7s and 3-for-5 in 11-on-11s. Mallett had a sleeve on his left knee.

– Brady worked with wide receivers Thompkins, Julian Edelman and Danny Amendola and tight end Rob Gronkowski on end-zone fades and goal-line passes during individual drills. Edelman continues to look strong.

– Brandon Browner swatted a Brady pass intended for Edelman. Dont’a Hightower, Patrick Chung and Malcolm Butler also made impressive plays in pass coverage.

– It appears position battles aren’t settled in the secondary or along the offensive line, which is to be expected this early in camp.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2014/07/patriots-tr...-kenbrell-thompkins-brandon-lafell-stand-out/

Well, that is what we have done for years.
The news is that in the base, we are playing Mayo in the middle, which is his best spot, Hightower at SAM, also his best spot, and Collins at WILL where he can use his speed and athleticism.
I kind of thought this alignment was a no-brainer, but good to see confirmation.
As far as who comes off the most in nickle and dime, that is to be seen. It could well be Collins and Hightower sharing the 2nd LB next to Mayo.

I am thinking –
Sam – Hightower
Mike – Mayo
Will – Collins
I would really like to see Collins more at SAM so he can cover tight ends. All depends on the matchup though. Against teams that run more and have a slower TE, Hightower could play SAM so we don't loose the edge contain as much. But against teams with more of a receiving tight end I'd really like to see Collins at SAM so he can cover the tight end.

On a bit unrelated note. I really hate the word "2 down linebacker". The NFL is a passing league. Teams pass a lot on first and second down. If you can't cover then you will have problems on first and second down too. It should be called something like run package linebacker. Nickel defense is the new base defense anyway. A linebacker that can only cover the run will be on the field less than a linebacker that can only cover the pass.

Hightower is better than Spikes in coverage. Hopefully that along with Mayo and Collins alongside him will make us less killed over the midle. But I still don't want to see him out there for a majority of the snaps, and certainly not covering the TE when we have Mayo and Collins who are both much better in coverage.

If Hightower is the Sam, that means his responsibility the majority of the time (outside of run support) would be the TE or the slot receiver. Hightower can play strong side because he is excellent at coming up and taking on the run, but I don't see the point of moving him there given the coverage responsibilities he would have. That would be an automatic win for the offense. Of course, so much is going to depend on match-ups and I highly doubt we'll spend much time in our base defense, but (for the purpose of debate) I don't see much of an argument for moving Hightower to the Sam and Collins to the Will.

Hightower is by far the best SAM in the running game. We play a lot of zone in the base, which really makes little distinction between who is playing SAM or WILL in coverage, and frees the more mobile Collins up for a better blitz opportunity, and if we are in man there will be a safety on the TE or slot receiver, not a LB.
I'm not sure why you would ever play the bigger, less agile LB at WILL and the faster, quicker, smaller one at SAM, so I think you have it backward what there is no argument for.

Before we read settled science into these position lineups, BB has said that camp is where he gives players reps at different positions so that game context match ups in season and injuries requiring playing out of position as a fill in are not devastating. If player plays position P most of camp, THEN we can make conclusions.

Let us pray............

As it was when it was

and as it is what it is

shall it be what it be

Pats without end...amen

I would really like to see Collins more at SAM so he can cover tight ends. All depends on the matchup though. Against teams that run more and have a slower TE, Hightower could play SAM so we don't loose the edge contain as much. But against teams with more of a receiving tight end I'd really like to see Collins at SAM so he can cover the tight end.
If we are in man a safety is covering the TE, not a LB.

On a bit unrelated note. I really hate the word "2 down linebacker". The NFL is a passing league. Teams pass a lot on first and second down. If you can't cover then you will have problems on first and second down too. It should be called something like run package linebacker. Nickel defense is the new base defense anyway. A linebacker that can only cover the run will be on the field less than a linebacker that can only cover the pass.
True, but really you have a base D with LB and one comes off the field in nickel/dime.
Depending on the opponent (and score of the game) that 3rd LB could play 10% to 80% of the snaps.

Hightower is better than Spikes in coverage. Hopefully that along with Mayo and Collins alongside him will make us less killed over the midle. But I still don't want to see him out there for a majority of the snaps, and certainly not covering the TE when we have Mayo and Collins who are both much better in coverage.
I think you are going to see a lot of complaining about LB coverage this year on this board. The secondary is so much better, that QBs are going to have to throw at the LBs more. No matter how well they do, giving up one completion equals someone around here concluding you suck. Given that RB vs LB is a mismatch with almost any LB there will no doubt be some big plays vs LBs. It happens all over the league, but is unacceptable here.

grant_diag2_sy_576.jpg

I think in this scheme it would be –

E – Ninkovich
T – Easley
N – Wilfork
E – Jones
S – Hightower
B – Mayo
W – Collins
C – Revis
C – Browner/Dennard
$ - Harmon/Wilson
S – McCourty

This would put Hightower in a downhill position to either stuff the run or blitz, the $ safety would take the TE 1on1, and McCourty would play centerfield.

I could be way off, and at this point I am probably point the cart far before the horse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes