PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

***THE OFFICIAL 2014 New England Patriots training camp thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
The love for Finch is reminiscent of how many people felt about George Winn 365 days ago, who is apparently now with his seventh NFL team.

Anyone that could bounce between seven teams and still come up fighting could make my team!

Seriously, Finch is really undersized if his weight is correct. He'd have to be awfully good at something to be a real NFL player, rather than a great looking prospect.

As has been pointed out, the de-emphasis on kickoffs particularly hurts a guy like that.

Apparently Siliga's injury may be significant

Ben Volin @BenVolin · 13m
Bad news, #Patriots fans. While I don’t have specifics, I’m told the outlook on DT Sealver Siliga’s hand injury is “not good.” Hurts depth

Down goes our 2nd/3rd DT...:mad:

Haven't seen much of Jones, but good tight ends don't need to get "open" (see Ben Coates) and 6'8" tight ends probably don't have to be that good to present a target if they know how to use their bodies. we're spoiled because we have a TE who is in the 99th percentile in terms of agility.

Go to the spot, turn around, use your ass, elbows and shoulders to leverage the defender and make the chain moving catch.

What's a defender going to do, play in front of Jones? Lol. He better bring a trampoline.

Having said that, you still have to perform in sync with Mr. Brady and carry out your blocking and route assignments.

Bad news, #Patriots fans. While I don’t have specifics, I’m told the outlook on DT Sealver Siliga’s hand injury is “not good.” Hurts depth
How long can you be out with a hand ? Worst case is a break, I would assume ? 6-8 weeks of which 4 is still preseason ?

How long can you be out with a hand ? Worst case is a break, I would assume ? 6-8 weeks of which 4 is still preseason ?

Defensive tackle Sealver Siliga didn’t take the practice field on Wednesday, according to multiple reports. He injured his left hand on Tuesday and returned to the field with a hard cast.

Read more at: D.J. Williams, Sealver Siliga Miss Practice For Patriots With Injuries | NESN.com

Backup lineman adds club to his hand. Sucks for him, but there could be worse things.

I suppose you could tear a ligament but I don't know if that would make the recovery time any longer. But we are about a month away from real football. This doesn't seem to be season ending now.

If Siliga is going to miss significant time they would probably put him on injured reserve with a designation to return and then either go with 4 interior DL or keep Vellano.

Down goes our 2nd/3rd DT...:mad:
It really depends on how we align, if you run a 4-3 front Siliga would be backing up Wilfork at the 1-Tech, now Kelly will slide over from the 3-Tech in Siliga absence to backup Wilfork, leaving Easley and Jones as the 3-Tech. It is a blow no doubt but we should be OK.

Remember Dane Fletcher's thumb? :(

Still, as others have said, it's much better than a lower body injury. Less of a blow to your conditioning, etc. But if Siliga doesn't project to be available for game 1, and Easley isn't practicing yet...bleah.

I agree on the principle of prioritizing DB over WR, but I think that in this case most of the folks projecting short on DBs are doing so because they know they can plug in Browner after four games.

That's possible, but folks are projecting 8 DBs, when BB usually goes with 10. Some of those CBs rarely see the field, but are starters on ST (Ventrone, Cole, Arrington in days gone by). I would expect 9 DBs, which would mean that another position has to give, and WR is probably first in line unless one of them are (still) banged-up. (Dobson could return next week, and Amendola sit down the next.)

Why? He is not an all pro but he is a damn good option for a 4th string RB.

And a solid STer, who can play on any of the return/coverage teams.

Pretty much the only way I can envision a season-ending hand injury in early August:

tumblr_lo0e1zbFjy1qfghzwo1_500.gif

Maybe not season ending.. but Jack is an emo puppydog compared to Ted the Bellhop;)

Last edited:
They are apparently concerned enough that they sent him back home for tests.

If Siliga is going to miss significant time they would probably put him on injured reserve with a designation to return and then either go with 4 interior DL or keep Vellano.

Yes. Can't go on regular IR because he has practiced. But I think it's too early to do as you suggest because a more significant player (starter) may get hurt where they want to use that IR with return option. And I think that the practice disqualified applies there too. Regardless, no decision needs to be made now.

Well correct me if I am wrong. But even if he needs to wear a cast for 8 weeks he can still practice with the team right? I mean he can still run and do certain things with the team. Plus I have seen DTs play with cast on their arms. I am not saying he should but he should certainly be able to still do some practice with it right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back