PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

***THE OFFICIAL 2014 New England Patriots training camp thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. = Darius Fleming. I wouldn't say beat, since he kept the smaller man in front of him.

2. = Jonas Gray

I didn't mean beat as in he played poorly. Just that it would have been a completion. It's like saying Mayo got beat on the sideline catch. I am sure up until that point he had good coverage. RG3 extended the play and it was a completion on the sideline. technically Mayo got beat even tho he could have had excellent coverage on the play.

But to more important matters... How good is Jamie Collins right guys? hahah

Plus we should account for the potential for an injury to a receiver or Dobson not making it back for the start of the season.

Unfortunately, but i agree with Deus (unless he's going to disagree with my agreement) That they aren't hanging on to someone for potential when there are a ton of hungry receivers out there and more after cuts. You've got the low draft pick Gallon and they've looked at quite a few FAs around.

Outside of Bequette, I can't recall too many non-productive hangers on, and that mysteries of the universe episode has to be resolved this year.

As Alec Baldwin said in Glengarry, it's fark or walk.

I didn't mean beat as in he played poorly. Just that it would have been a completion. It's like saying Mayo got beat on the sideline catch. I am sure up until that point he had good coverage. RG3 extended the play and it was a completion on the sideline. technically Mayo got beat even tho he could have had excellent coverage on the play.

But to more important matters... How good is Jamie Collins right guys? hahah

I understand, but for a guy his size, playing behind, then wacking him is the best play IMO. I'm trying not to get too excited about Collins, before i get my nerve medicine refilled.

What about Tyms for a sleeper to make this team kid has crazy hops check the YouTube video in denvers locker room speed and he has already caught a deep pass from Brady I'd love to see this kid sneak on the squad say over Slater. I know I know but I like this kid.

Unfortunately, but i agree with Deus (unless he's going to disagree with my agreement) That they aren't hanging on to someone for potential when there are a ton of hungry receivers out there and more after cuts. You've got the low draft pick Gallon and they've looked at quite a few FAs around.

Outside of Bequette, I can't recall too many non-productive hangers on, and that mysteries of the universe episode has to be resolved this year.

As Alec Baldwin said in Glengarry, it's fark or walk.
Boyce won the Browns game by drawing the pass interference penalty in the end zone, he had some solid production in week 14 and 15 when Dobson and Thompkins were out. I'm not sure what people were expecting from an early 5th round draft pick.

NFL Network just described Brady in TC today as "surgical."

What about Tyms for a sleeper to make this team kid has crazy hops check the YouTube video in denvers locker room speed and he has already caught a deep pass from Brady I'd love to see this kid sneak on the squad say over Slater. I know I know but I like this kid.
I like him as a practice squad player. He has a lot of physical talent. Slater not making the team is very, very, very unlikely in my opinion. He is a difference maker.

I have mentioned the possibility of the team carrying the 6 WRs + Slater as a possibility in other threads. It's not as if the concept is a foreign one. However:

• In the NFL, teams are only allowed to carry 53 players on the roster.
  • As a result, there is a finite number of slots for players, and those slots must fill all positions.
  • If you have extra players at one position, you must, by necessity, carry fewer players somewhere else.
  • In the NFL, bench players often earn their keep by playing special teams in some capacity.
  • The Patriots this year appear as if they'll be carrying 3 QBs, giving them one less available space elsewhere.
  • In a season where there are, effectively, 50 non-QB spots instead of the usual 51, The Patriots would have to do a lot of maneuvering in order to actually carry more receivers than usual as well as carrying more QBs than usual.
  • While not an absolute bar, this theoretically decreases the likelihood that the team will carry 6 WRs instead of the usual 5, particularly if the 6th WR is not a big special teams contributor.
Taylor Price didn't fit the example I'd used earlier, and there's only so much room for "upside, but no production" players on a team.

NFL Network just described Brady in TC today as "surgical."
That's what he was in 2011 when he won the MVP and had what I thought was his best regular season.

I have mentioned the possibility of the team carrying the 6 WRs + Slater as a possibility in other threads. It's not as if the concept is a foreign one. However:

• In the NFL, teams are only allowed to carry 53 players on the roster.
  • As a result, there is a finite number of slots for players, and those slots must fill all positions.
  • If you have extra players at one position, you must, by necessity, carry fewer players somewhere else.
  • In the NFL, bench players often earn their keep by playing special teams in some capacity.
  • The Patriots this year appear as if they'll be carrying 3 QBs, giving them one less available space elsewhere.
  • In a season where there are, effectively, 50 non-QB spots instead of the usual 51, The Patriots would have to do a lot of maneuvering in order to actually carry more receivers than usual as well as carrying more QBs than usual.
  • While not an absolute bar, this theoretically decreases the likelihood that the team will carry 6 WRs instead of the usual 5, particularly if the 6th WR is not a big special teams contributor.
Taylor Price didn't fit the example I'd used earlier, and there's only so much room for "upside, but no production" players on a team.

I think posters forget that Belichick and his staff are supposed to develop players not just cut them if they aren't top tier from day 1.

Last edited:
I know people hate measurables but Butler ran a 4.62 40-yard dash at his pro day. I would not want him as the top KR, he does not offer the home run threat that you want back there.

I know this was playing against Division II competition but

Last Year
13 returns
363 yards
27.9 avg
Two of them were 50+ yard returns (55 & 52)

As for his 40 time, don't forget Belichick had a guy that ran a 4.70 40 returning kicks last year.

Life would be so much easier if the NFL would just give up and allow teams to designate players as "ST."

Brady6. Boyce=4th round pick. Price=3rd round. And I do believe they are comparable to a certain degree. Both fast guys that don't seem to perform and they seemed to be chosen based on their combine numbers. Neither of them had any glorious highlights for multiple reasons(price offense was more run based and boyce's qb sucked etc). I'm not giving up on boyce, especially this early in the year, but I am far more interested in seeing what gallon can do.

FWIW, I am glad we won the Brown game but that call Boyce was given was horrible and he should have simply caught it.

Boyce, Finch, and Butler all have gotten KR reps. It could come down to BB deciding which of the three has the best chance of developing as a player.

Butler seems like the best player based on camp, but he's at the most crowded position. With Bolden fumbling and not practicing, Finch probably has the best opportunity. A preseason battle to watch for sure between these three.

Brady6. Boyce=4th round pick. Price=3rd round. And I do believe they are comparable to a certain degree. Both fast guys that don't seem to perform and they seemed to be chosen based on their combine numbers. Neither of them had any glorious highlights for multiple reasons(price offense was more run based and boyce's qb sucked etc). I'm not giving up on boyce, especially this early in the year, but I am far more interested in seeing what gallon can do.

FWIW, I am glad we won the Brown game but that call Boyce was given was horrible and he should have simply caught it.
My mistake thank you for the accurate information.

I'm not sure what people were expecting from an early 5th round draft pick.

I agree with you that no one should be thinking about giving up on him yet, but he'll have to figure things out this season in my opinion. Returning KO's should help him get on the field and be active, if he is doing it well. Then again, we'll have to see what BB thinks.

With Bolden fumbling and not practicing, Finch probably has the best opportunity.

Bolden practiced in the first 8 sessions, and I believe that he's only missed the past 2. It will depend on what kind of injury it is, and how long it may keep him out.

I wouldn't exactly consider little Finch as having the best opportunity over a guy who has been here for the past 2 years with good YPC averages and 20+ backfield catches last year. Finch is a nice story, but he has no prior experience of our system, and Bolden is basically our backup to Ridley as a starter.

As you said, it will be interesting to see how things play out, and is a good camp battle. I would have Bolden as a clear cut front runner though, at least IMO. Bolden doesn't stand out, but he's more than capable enough as a guy with experience in our system who is cheap and under contract for next season as well (assuming that he's kept/tendered as an RFA).

Last Year
13 returns
363 yards
27.9 avg
Two of them were 50+ yard returns (55 & 52)
As for his 40 time, don't forget Belichick had a guy that ran a 4.70 40 returning kicks last year.

40 time is one of the most ridiculous and useless stats in football, up there with the bench press. First of all, combine measurables can change based on age/weight/injury/strength program, and a lot of it is very specific tricks to shave .1 second off here and there (tricks that you don't use on a football field).

Second of all, some people simply don't lose much speed when they put pads on, others look like they lose a lot. Jerry Rice was never a slow football player despite his 4.7 time. You would see him blow by half the dbs in the league routinely, even on very straight forward go routes. Meanwhile i've seen some 4.4 guys look like they're dragging rakes at times.

Finally, you simply don't run 40 yards in a straight line in football. Most of the time you are specifically choosing not to go that fast, b/c you are waiting for blockers or changing direction.

Give me a kickoff returner with great vision any day of the week.

vision, reaction time, cutting ability = very good KO returner

add elite speed and you get an All Pro returner.

No one needs an all pro KO returner these days since Goodell has fixed the kickoffs so that 95%(or what seems like 95%) go out of the freakin' endzone.

so yeah...I think the guy with those three attributes is good enough for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes