PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

***THE OFFICIAL 2014 New England Patriots training camp thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's nice to see that I'm not the only one really down on Boyce. I hoped he would turn out successful like any Patriot we draft, but I was really unimpressed by him and he hasn't really done anything to change my mind so far. I see the speed but I don't see any quickness. Not at the line or out of his cuts. Hoping he, more than anyone else, can make me eat my words though.

Does it appear that Vellano and/or Chris Jones have gotten any stronger this off season?

Out of all the tight ends vying for the third spot, who has been the best and most consistent blocker? This will decide more than pass catching ability who wins. ex. Mulligan.

I am shocked that people are giving up on a second year WR before the first preseason game...SHOCKED!:eek:

Why don't we wait for him to develop before we start calling Boyce a bust. FFS, he wasn't fit for a good part of his first season.

The NFL is a league you need to grow into. it does a player no favours if we start saying they are ****e far too early

Boyce isn't very good, and he was a fifth round pick, so who cares? Cut him and move on. I'm sure they can replace his 10 catches from last season.

Hasn't Boyce been the primary kick returner? I don't think he's getting cut.

Well aside from draw the pass interference call at the end of the Browns game in the end zone.

Week 14- 3 catches, 49 yards
Week 15- 4 catches, 42 yards

He suffered an injury in the second half of week 15 at Miami. He was showing promise in the 2 games he played when Dobson and Thompkins were injured.

IMO, he was near awful in the Dolphins game. We just disagree on Boyce, we'll see what happens with him. I do give him credit drawing the PI call in the Browns game, that was huge.

Others and myself aren't labeling Boyce a "bust." Boyce is what he is, a 4th round pick in a weak draft where he was projected to go in rds 5-6. He's a speed guy with minimal WR skills (route running, separation, etc).

It's going to be tough for him to develop without playing time. Edelman, Dobson, Amendola, KT are already firmly above him on the pecking order as it is.

McCourty called receiver Kenbrell Thompkins one of the hardest workers on the team, noting that he could have been satisfied with contributing as an undrafted free agent in 2013. Instead, “all offseason, you saw him putting in the work.”

The 5-foot-11, 220-pound Ridley had a notable comment regarding his offseason diet and coming into camp in better shape: “Obviously that didn’t go too well. Coach still has me in there in ‘Fat Camp’ and running and trying to get this weight off me.”
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...65566/what-we-learned-from-sirius-on-patriots
Good to see KT seems to be doing all the right stuff to be the best he can be. The same does not appear to hold for Ridley, unfortunately. This raises questions for me as to why they did not keep Blount around since they had the money to keep him.

Hasn't Boyce been the primary kick returner? I don't think he's getting cut.

I don't have Edelman, Amendola, Dobson, Thompkins, Boyce, or LaFell getting cut. We all remembered how depleted the WR corps was at the end of the season last year.

I don't have Edelman, Amendola, Dobson, Thompkins, Boyce, or LaFell getting cut. We all remembered how depleted the WR corps was at the end of the season last year.

Hell, think of how depleted it was by the fourth quarter of week one!

Because they drafted White instead.
Different kind of player. White is not nearly as large or strong to take the same pounding. White is similar to Vereen, but even in college he was not an every down back. Perhaps there will be even more rotation this season.

Last edited:
I remember Ridley being run down last year during the first or second preseason game, and the commentators commenting on the fact he still had to get into game shape. It kind of makes you wonder if his lack of conditioning in the offseason may have something to do with his lack of big plays.

It also may call into question his true commitment to improving himself, specifically his ability to hold onto the ball. Posters here often quote Ridley and use as him as a player who "gets it". Perhaps it is easier to talk the talk, than walk the walk.

IMO, he was near awful in the Dolphins game. We just disagree on Boyce, we'll see what happens with him. I do give him credit drawing the PI call in the Browns game, that was huge.

Others and myself aren't labeling Boyce a "bust." Boyce is what he is, a 4th round pick in a weak draft where he was projected to go in rds 5-6. He's a speed guy with minimal WR skills (route running, separation, etc).

It's going to be tough for him to develop without playing time. Edelman, Dobson, Amendola, KT are already firmly above him on the pecking order as it is.
The bust label does not apply to players drafted with pick #102 in the draft. The odds are under 50% that a fourth round pick will become a core player.

That aside I think you should give him a chance. All reports indicate he is putting together a strong offseason and training camp. He missed one practice but got right back out there.

-Edelman is having a great offseason and camp. He looks like an all pro out there.
-Thompkins has shown up with 1-2 drops in just about every practice report I read.
-Dobson is still injured.
-LaFell is a TBD. He has been dropping a lot of footballs like Thompkins.
-Amendola has played 50% of the games over the past 3 seasons and is telling reporters last year was like being a rookie, so I'm not sure if that means it is another 4 years before we get the 5th year veteran WR we signed.

I am not kicking Boyce to curb given the only WR I'm confident in is Edelman.

Different kind of player. White is not nearly as large or strong to take the same pounding. White is similar to Vereen. Perhaps there will be even more rotation this season.

I dunno - I agree with your analogue but BB is on record stating he sees White as a three down back.

Boyce missed Wednesday practice...Boyce missed yesterday's practice. Boyce has NOT put together a strong camp so far this season. I will be at Gillette for tonight's practice so I'll make sure I look for Boyce.

Brady raving about White...

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patr...brady_raves_about_james_whites_early_progress

The White pick was one I liked even though there were other needs that needed to be addressed. I love watching Wisconsin backs, and he was no different. He makes sharp, decisive cuts when running, is patient in letting his blockers do their job, then explodes through the hole when it's opened. He's not afraid at all to stick his head in there and put his body on the line when in blitz pick-up and he's a weapon in the open field. I look forward to watching him get some reps in the preseason.

Boyce missed Wednesday practice...Boyce missed yesterday's practice. Boyce has NOT put together a strong camp so far this season. I will be at Gillette for tonight's practice so I'll make sure I look for Boyce.
Don't forget to report back on his quick-twitch musculature.

Yes I'm ready to see this kid run some 700 yards this year.

It also may call into question his true commitment to improving himself, specifically his ability to hold onto the ball. Posters here often quote Ridley and use as him as a player who "gets it". Perhaps it is easier to talk the talk, than walk the walk.

I see the possible concern in Ridley's soundbyte (which is completely devoid of context), but to equate being disappointed in his conditioning with his commitment to improve ball security is more of a reach than Chandler Jones' sack on Drew Brees last year.

Ridley will have a chance to walk the walk, and we'll see if all these claims he's made in the offseason have any merit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back