PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

***THE OFFICIAL 2014 New England Patriots training camp thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Tompkins hype has gone into steep decline since they started playing in pads. It sounds like Kenbrell needs to step it up.

PWP: This kind of mistreatment is good for our WR corps. Either toughen up or separate out the ones who have the propensity to "disappear" in post season when facing elite defenses. That said, I hope there's someone left after the culling.

"Brady finished practice going 0-7 with an interception to Brandon Browner"

If this had been the last few years he would have probably finished 6-7.

Brady in decline media articles being written as we read.

I'm excited about the fact that this offense is going to have to work all practice against this tough physical secondary. Practicing against guys like Revis & Browner might really help the development of these young WRs, and the ability to get open against tough DBs.

• Interesting occurrence on lineman 1-on-1 action: Rookie Cameron Fleming, the Patriots’ fourth-round pick out of Stanford, stood up Rob Ninkovich twice.

I'm fine with openly gay players but too old to want to read about players' dating experiences

Last edited:

Time to get Dobson back in the next couple of days.

His point is that Dillon is an example showing the long run is overrated in judging the quality of a back.

I do not get how you can compare Dillon with Ridley, they are very different backs. One is HoF caliber and the other got benched.

KT has been really good for 5 practises, sometimes even beating Revis 1-1 and a damn good db like Browner. He is not a number 1 receiver, he is not going to win them all. Temper expectations people, most receivers simply don't have the talent to even get open against a beast like Revis.

KT was putting some moves on Browner today, but as is the case with good DB play, a lot of it is mental and Browner obviously got into his head enough (or PI'd enough) to come out ahead.

As far as i'm concerned, I wish Dobson was getting the same treatment. This is perfect practise for what they'll go up against in the big leagues.

The Tompkins hype has gone into steep decline since they started playing in pads. It sounds like Kenbrell needs to step it up.

This may be the result of being manhandled by Browner, more than a personal decline.

I'm excited about the fact that this offense is going to have to work all practice against this tough physical secondary. Practicing against guys like Revis & Browner might really help the development of these young WRs, and the ability to get open against tough DBs.
That is the hope.

When we are talking about a difference of 4 YPC versus 4.3 YPC, I would take the long running plays and the slightly fewer YPC average. Thanks

You understand that averaging means a bunch of virtual stuffs for ever 20-30 yard run to get to a 4 yard average, right?

No, I really am not. Long runs are back breakers for a defense. Obviously, you want to see productive runs all the time, but some players are able to be productive AND break long runs for TDs.

You are acting like it is one or the other, that simply is not the case.

Yes it is one or the other if you average 4 ypc. Of course hall of fame caliber players like Dillon (should be, and I'm talking Cinci) do both.

This may be the result of being manhandled by Browner, more than a personal decline.

If getting manhandled by physical receivers leads to him not being able to get the job done and hold on to passes, he's going to have a wonderful life playing flag football, but his NFL career is going to be a lot shorter than he'd like.

We used to hit the receivers coming off the LOS in flag football

You understand that averaging means a bunch of virtual stuffs for ever 20-30 yard run to get to a 4 yard average, right?

Yeah, but maybe it is 10 carries for 3.0 and then one long run to bring the average up to 4.0....

I disagree and that is exactly why Ben Jarvaus-Green-Ellis was let go. Having the ability to threaten with long runs is a very important tool for a RB.

Actually, it's the reason an undistinguished UDFA like BJ played in the NFL at all. There are tons of college players who broke spectacular runs that washed out in the NFL while BJ made it.

The problem here is math. We're talking about runners who average a certain amount, say 4 ypc. It is a mathematical fact that that you have to run 4 times for a total of zero plus once for 20 to average 4ypc, because 20/5 = 4.

Now if you pop those 20 + runs consistently and the 3-4 yd chain movers too, you'll average 6.8 ypc.

I'm all for every running back averaging 6.8 or more yards a carry, if that's what you're proposing.

Yeah, but maybe it is 10 carries for 3.0 and then one long run to bring the average up to 4.0....

5.16, or higher than Dillon ever averaged and he had long runs between 50 and 96 his first six years.

That wouldn't be a long run it would be 14 yards.

If getting manhandled by physical receivers leads to him not being able to get the job done and hold on to passes, he's going to have a wonderful life playing flag football, but his NFL career is going to be a lot shorter than he'd like.

Thompkins is being matched up against Browner, a guy who's specialty is smashing receivers at the LOS. This is an excellent learning experience for the young WR.

That wouldn't be a long run it would be 14 yards.

Sorry, I did not do the actual math for an example...but, I am sure that there is a reasonable number of runs for a decent amount mixed in with long runs that would come out to be somewhere in the 4.5 YPC area...wouldn't you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back