PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

***THE OFFICIAL 2014 New England Patriots training camp thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing football. I know there's time to still get ready and I hope he's able to.
It is what it is. He is in meetings, he is keeping up mental. Tons of players miss time in camp and are ready for the season.

He flashes but lacked big plays last year. He had the lowest YPC among the 4 RBs last year.

A little context

Ridley 178 carries 4.3 ypc
Bolden 55 carries 4.9 ypc
Vereen 44 carries 4.7 ypc

Do you really think if Bolden and Vereen had as many carries as Ridley that their YPC would have gone up or stayed the same?

Also a little tidbit about Blount's 5.0 YPC

Going into the Buffalo game Blount was at 4.5 YPC

Blount became vastly overrated by the Week 17 and Divisional Round performances.

A little context

Do you really think if Bolden and Vereen had as many carries as Ridley that their YPC would have gone up or stayed the same?
No I don't. I think Ridley was the best we had. And probably still is. I also disagree with the concept that Ridley is far and away better than any other RB we have. He also had a miserable "long run" of 29 yards. I like Ridley and hope he takes the next step. But he needs to take that next step to be significantly above average.

Son of a.....

I don't know if it would have mattered in this particular case, but this is why I'm such a big proponent of taking it slowly and extra carefully when it comes to foot injuries.

I'm not a doc, but I think I heard that it is typical to do so in these type of surgeries to pin the broken bone in place, so it heals properly. DoPoster Docs want to chime in...

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports...-receivers-defensive-backs-highlight-session/

Just some highlights of the Tuesday session...

There was some great theater in a series of one-on-one drills between wide receivers and defensive backs. Brandon Browner and Brandon LaFell engaged in a nice one-on-one matchup in a goal-line passing drill that was won by LaFell. Later on, Kenbrell Thompkins had his defender beat, but a miscommunication with the quarterback left everyone confused. Shortly after that, Darrelle Revis had a TERRIFIC pass breakup on a ball for Thompkins, reaching in and knocking the ball away at the last minute.

Then, Edelman had a great catch, despite the fact that Kyle Arrington knocked into him in the air. Edelman came down with the ball and his feet inbounds on a really nice play. Logan Ryan got some revenge shortly after that for the defensive backs when he stepped in front of a Brady ball intended for Edelman.

No 11-on-11 or 7-on-7 work for Rob Gronkowski, but he was working extensively in the team drills. He also spent time in what has become fairly regular routine, working with Brady off to the side. There was one great scene where Brady was throwing to Gronkowski, with Revis working in coverage — arguably the three of the four most important players on the roster working as a group.

In one-on-ones between the offensive linemen and defensive linemen, for the most part the defense appeared to be ahead of the offense, with Will Smith and Chandler Jones appearing to get the best of their offensive line counterparts.

In a series of passing drills just over an hour into the workout, Edelman beat Revis on a long ball. Then, Brady connected on a GREAT deep ball for LaFell, splitting Malcolm Butler and Nate Ebner in coverage. It was the best play of the camp for LaFell, who wrestled the ball away from the defensive backs and set off a celebration on offense.

Also of note: Boyce is continuing to get a lot of looks in the kick return game and Garoppolo threw another INT. Sounds like he still has a long way to go.

Besides one great catch between two defenders, Lafell struggled today.

Garoppolo is holding onto the ball too long at times.

Boyce continues to find himself on the 2nd and 3rd team offenses, while Thompkins works almost exclusively with Brady.

Butler has solid coverage on a good amount of plays.

White looked good in the RB drills.

Boyce continues to find himself on the 2nd and 3rd team offenses, while Thompkins works almost exclusively with Brady.
I've never really believed in Boyce as a receiver. To me he's just back up slot guy that's a good kick returner, which is fine for a 4th round pick.

A little context

Also a little tidbit about Blount's 5.0 YPC

Going into the Buffalo game Blount was at 4.5 YPC

Blount became vastly overrated by the Week 17 and Divisional Round performances.
I wish ALL of our backs were as overrated as Blount was at the end of the season ;).

Besides one great catch between two defenders, Lafell struggled today.

Garoppolo is holding onto the ball too long at times.

Butler has solid coverage on a good amount of plays.

White looked good in the RB drills.
Anything on the DL? How did Smith, Kelly, Jones, Buchanan look?

Anything on the DL? How did Smith, Kelly, Jones, Buchanan look?

Not sure if it was Kelly or Forston (think Kelly) destroyed a running play 4-5 yards behind the LOS.

Seeing "Revis breaks up pass on X receiver" on twitter is getting a little old already :D

Thou doth protest too much.

It won't be so tiresome come the regular season. A couple of years ago it was "X receiver makes great catch (choose one: down the sideline, up the seam, over the middle, anywhere he damn well pleases) for a nice gain."

On another matter, it was interesting to read Belichick's long answer to a question about Wendell. A lot of people are writing him off. Belichick has a lot of appreciation for all that he's done to be a contributor: http://www.patriots.com/news/articl...football/82666896-9a12-4ed1-b8b8-555ff031827d

No I don't. I think Ridley was the best we had. And probably still is. I also disagree with the concept that Ridley is far and away better than any other RB we have. He also had a miserable "long run" of 29 yards. I like Ridley and hope he takes the next step. But he needs to take that next step to be significantly above average.

The fact that Ridley's longest run of 29 yards while maintaining a 4.3 average on his number of carries is what I love about him. It speaks to his consistency.

You can take away his big runs and have a 4 ypc guy.

You take away Blount's and you have about a 2ypc guy. Same goes for Vereen and Bolden. Inflated by 2 or 3 big runs. Ridley's average is what you get every time he touches the ball. He's a chain mover. The others are "big play" or bust, no consistency in their running.

There is a reason that despite his fumbles Ridley still carries the load week in and week out.

A 29 yard longest run is a bad number, it's really bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes