PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

***THE OFFICIAL 2014 New England Patriots training camp thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really can't see the team carrying 5 safeties, given that they'll almost certainly be going 5 deep at corner (Revis, Browner, Dennard, Ryan, Arrington). My guess would be that the safeties are competing for 4 spots, with the fourth going to the best ST player of the group.
With the injuries that this team has had in its secondary, I can definitely see them carrying 5 safeties, with the 5th being the the guy who is almost the dedicated special teamer.

Which corner out of this group would you be cutting:

Revis
Browner
Ryan
Dennard
Arrington

to make room for someone like Chung or Ebner?

Keeping in mind that Arrington has $6M in guaranteed money left on his contract.

Umm. Arrington only has $1 million in guaranteed money left on his contract. You are confusing signing bonus with guaranteed money. It was $6 million SB and $2 million guaranteed. He's already received the signing bonus. The guaranteed money is his base salary of $1M for 2013 and 2014.

And you are overlooking the fact that Browner is suspended for the 1st 4 games of the season.

I don't think anyone here has said that they don't like Hightower. In fact, I'm just about positive that we all want him to succeed. You really need to chill out - some people actually find it informative to discuss players' limitations as well as all of the ways in which they're awesome. You can either learn to accept that or spend the next decade the same way that you've spent the past one: attacking everyone who doesn't post exactly the same way that you do.

I can only guess who you're talking to. The last sentence kind of gives it away. The ignore feature is a wonderful thing.

403.gif

Last edited:
I'd love to see the Patriots' reports on both Hightower and Spikes, for comparison sake.

I love JE but, of course, you're right. Is it one of those boy-named-Sue things? (I mean 11 is probably a tight number, but Julian Edelman isn't a really intimidating football name, is it?)

More likely because he was a relative shrimp playing QB.

Looks like Gronk doesn't plan to change his playing style one bit...

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...wski_will_keep_smashing_and_dashing_desp.html

FOXBOROUGH — It's a new year, and a new injury to rehab, but it's the same Rob Gronkowski.

Since entering the NFL in 2010, Gronkowski has made a name for himself by imposing his 6-foot-6, 265-pound will on opposing defenders. And that's not going to change, even if Patriots fans hold their collective breath every time he makes contact with a defender.

"I ain't changing that one bit," Gronkowski said of his playing style. "I'm gonna go full-speed when I'm out there, and I'm gonna keep smashing and dashing everything I do. Maybe, if it's not necessary one single bit, I'll go down, but if I can make some plays, make some extra yards, [and] get in the end zone, I'm definitely gonna go full-speed and I'm gonna take the hits and I'm gonna do everything I can."

Hopefully this year brings better luck on the injury front again. It would be nice to have him healthy for all 19 games.

I don't think anyone here has said that they don't like Hightower.
Guess you missed this post. The one that say he should be limited to the nuclear disaster option at LB.

I think he'd be just fine in rushing the passer. In his time at Alabama (I watch most of their games since I'm in the viewing region) and here, it's plainly obvious that he's more comfortable in that downhill type of role. When he has to move laterally, shed blocks, and cover TE's, he's not a natural at all. He's the perfect LB if you're playing in the year 2003. He's extremely limited if you're playing in the year 2014. A move to DE, at least IMO, would be perfect for him and, as mentioned before, he can still play LB in the event of a horrific rash of injuries.

In fact, I'm just about positive that we all want him to succeed. You really need to chill out - some people actually find it informative to discuss players' limitations as well as all of the ways in which they're awesome. You can either learn to accept that or spend the next decade the same way that you've spent the past one: attacking everyone who doesn't post exactly the same way that you do.

Excuse me?
The post I responded to was wrong. It has nothing to do with discussing limitations, it has to do with incorrectly trashing the player and overexaggerating.
That poster called Hightower and automatic win for the offense whenever he is in coverage then proceeded to post stats showing his numbers in coverage were actually very good.
He also misstated the facts of when Hightower covers man to man, which is rare. Finally he claimed that Hightower cannot shed blockers which is ludicrous.

I have no problem with discussing limitations, and with disagreeing, but these comments were just flat out wrong, so I responded. Perhaps you should focus on the content or you will spend the next 10 years misunderstanding what you are reading like you apparently spent the last 10.

Umm. Arrington only has $1 million in guaranteed money left on his contract. You are confusing signing bonus with guaranteed money. It was $6 million SB and $2 million guaranteed. He's already received the signing bonus. The guaranteed money is his base salary of $1M for 2013 and 2014.

And you are overlooking the fact that Browner is suspended for the 1st 4 games of the season.

I'm not confusing anything. Unamortized signing bonus is guaranteed money that has not yet hit the cap.

I didn't want to make a new thread and this is OT but...

Dolphins offense forced to call timeout on first play of training camp

Repeat after me: It was just the first day of training camp. It was just the first day of training camp. It was just the first day of .

“Definitely not the way you want to start,” quarterback Ryan Tannehill said.

The first time the Dolphins’ offense came to the line Friday after an offseason of changes and questions, Tannehill took one look at the misaligned players and — tweet! — called a timeout.

I love TC :)

I think he'd be just fine in rushing the passer. In his time at Alabama (I watch most of their games since I'm in the viewing region) and here, it's plainly obvious that he's more comfortable in that downhill type of role. When he has to move laterally, shed blocks, and cover TE's, he's not a natural at all. He's the perfect LB if you're playing in the year 2003. He's extremely limited if you're playing in the year 2014. A move to DE, at least IMO, would be perfect for him and, as mentioned before, he can still play LB in the event of a horrific rash of injuries.
I think that the defense could be a little bit misleading, the reporters are saying Mayo is in the middle but Belichick plays a 4-3 with 3-4 principles. It could actually be:

LOLB (Rush) – Ninkovich
SILB – Hightower
WILB – Mayo
ROLB – Collins

If they are looking at Ninkovich as more of DE then Mayo is in the middle but he is actually playing the principles of a WILB in a 3-4.

I think that the defense could be a little bit misleading, the reporters are saying Mayo is in the middle but Belichick plays a 4-3 with 3-4 principles. It could actually be:

LOLB (Rush) – Ninkovich
SILB – Hightower
WILB – Mayo
ROLB – Collins

If they are looking at Ninkovich as more of DE then Mayo is in the middle but he is actually playing the principles of a WILB in a 3-4.
Let's be straight here. For the last 2 seasons Ninkovich has played 43 LDE with the responsibility of a 43 DE. We have played 43 over 90% of the time we have only 4 DBS

Gotta love how BradyFTW disagrees with FACTS.....

@jeffphowe: Revis intercepts Brady in 1-on-1 with Edelman.

Bring on Garapolo. The JAG era begins!

@PatriotsHaven: LaFell has been targeted several times, but he hasn't had a catch (with coverage) today. #Patriots

@jeffphowe: Revis with a great turnaround INT on Brady to Edelman in 11-on-11.

Another one

@tomecurran: Darrelle Revis has been remarkable in coverage today. Just had Edelman get a step on play-action double move, made up separation without ...

@tomecurran: ... much effort on deep throw from Brady. Turned as ball was well into descent, found it and made pick. 2nd pick of Brady today

@DougKyedNESN: Logan Ryan and Sealver Siliga stood out in individual drills. Siliga is an underrated pass rusher.

Siliga has been quite the find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots