PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Offical Demote McDaniels Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBigglesWorth

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
I've given the guy the benefit of the doubt, and sure he's been hindered by free agent losses. But I just don't get his play calling. It's been awful. There has been little to confuse defenses and exploit their weaknesses. The schemes they employ don't find opne holes in the zones.

I will say at least they didn't use the I-formation power package early on.

The guy needs to go now or at the very least at the end of the season.

demote? lol FIRE!

I think we just lack talent. Our receivers are small, slow, or predictable. Our line is not skilled enough to realize the potential of our running game or to protect Brady. I don't think the playcalling was particularly bad. The Pats did a nice job mixing it up, but the execution was terrible. I think it's Dr. Z who said after the Lion's game that the Pats look tired. I think that's true, and I'm not sure what the fix for that is.

Why don't you fire BB. He is the one making the play calls.

I think we just lack talent. Our receivers are small, slow, or predictable. Our line is not skilled enough to realize the potential of our running game or to protect Brady. I don't think the playcalling was particularly bad. The Pats did a nice job mixing it up, but the execution was terrible. I think it's Dr. Z who said after the Lion's game that the Pats look tired. I think that's true, and I'm not sure what the fix for that is.

I agree. There wasn't much wrong with the playcalling. We just got mauled all away along the line. Brady had so little time, it was unbelievable. As much as Matt Light's play was a problem, he wasn't the only one. Brady had no time on the Right side, either. Kaczur looked out of his depth at times. I guess we have to see whether there is anyone worth drafting who can handle speed rushers. I would say that we should pick up an FA but they tend to be too expensive to justify their value to a team.

Sure, demote him, but how about some breakdowns showing what plays he called that you don't like and what would have worked better? Off the top of my head I'd like to have seen some more running, but I won't make any decision before watching tape.

Why don't you fire BB. He is the one making the play calls.

If he's making the calls why do they have an OC? BB comes up with the game plan, JM is responsible for employing it and making adjustments.

I love the "why don't you fire BB" argument. Offers no real insight, just another knee jerk argument to mask Josh's horrible playcalling.

Sure, demote him, but how about some breakdowns showing what plays he called that you don't like and what would have worked better? Off the top of my head I'd like to have seen some more running, but I won't make any decision before watching tape.

Did we have a single screen play in the whole game? It was one of our best weapons before. The play calling is pitiful to say the least.

Bingo Patters - only a fool would attempt to blame this on an OC. I think they look tired and confused because they are desperately trying to play over their heads to compensate for their lack of natural talent. They are mentally tired. He's also had them in pads all along and already told them they would be in pads through the end of the season. So they are physically tired. Like working them harder will fix it when the problem is they just aren't good enough. And not only are they just not terribly talented, they also aren't the kind of individual players who can compensate for that with heart and determination.

Belichick blew this season big time. We'll be lucky if Brady doesn't get killed before this is over. Still have the JAGS and Tennessee to deal with. Maybe we need a wake up call so Bill realizes you can't consistently pass of chicken **** salad as chicken salad just by coaching it up.

This just isn't one game, this has been building all season long. How about detroit when they finally went to the spread formation at the end of the game, where was that earlier in the detroit game plan?

This is not a quick fix. We need a new OC for next year, as well as new WR's, new OLinemen, new DB's, new LB's, new trainers, etc. This is the worst 9-4 team I've ever seen. I have to start blaming a lot of this on injuries now. 3 key offensive rookies didn't play (Maroney, Jackson & O'Callahan), and too many injuries on defense (Wilson, Harrison, Seau, etc). This isn't something new (injuries), and something has to be done about that. Nobody suffers the amazing amount of injuries like the Pats do, year after year, 3 years in a row. That is something that has to be looked at. Injuries are part of football, but there has to be something wrong in the way we train our team. I'm hoping there will be something new as far as our training regiment for next year, like I said, this cannot be a coincidence, 3 years in a row, tons of major injuries. Hell, we lost 2 of our key special teams aces and bakckup safties(Tebucky Jones and Mel Mitchell) before the season even started. We need a lot of changes.

Did we have a single screen play in the whole game? It was one of our best weapons before. The play calling is pitiful to say the least.
Why are you asking me? If you're upset about it go to the tape and chart the plays, breakdown who did their job and who didn't and figure out why the play failed or succeeded. If you can do that you won't need to ask me that question, and you might have some new and interesting insights to the game.

Why are you asking me? If you're upset about it go to the tape and chart the plays, breakdown who did their job and who didn't and figure out why the play failed or succeeded. If you can do that you won't need to ask me that question, and you might have some new and interesting insights to the game.

The OC didn't do their job for the first to say.

This just isn't one game, this has been building all season long. How about detroit when they finally went to the spread formation at the end of the game, where was that earlier in the detroit game plan?
Detroit, where a change of pace formation when you're trailing in the fourth might be appropriate? I read the posts all season long complaining about the OC, you are the only one who made any attempt to detail what you didn't like in the heavy formation - but even with that, I'd like to see a chart of the times they've used that formation, the down and distance, whether a pass or run was called, and what the results were. Call me fussy, but when people complained about Ashworth at LT in the Green Bay preseason game last year, going back to the tape showed me a player playing his assignments well. People as late as this year were proclaiming Ty Warren a bust, but he has been the most consistent DL we have when you watch the tape.

You like the spread formation, but is it a good run formation? Is it the best formation to disguise some of the plays you're planning? You may have liked to have seen it sooner, and if you can chart things out you may be able to convince me. It makes for better discussion if we can work off the same set of data, and what you and I see while CBS is ballwashing someone and bouncing the camera around to see how many Santas are in the stands can become just a tad distorted.

The OC didn't do their job for the first to say.
I think I understood this sentence, but I still don't know what plays he called that you didn't like and what the execution was on those plays...Welcome aboard neighbor, let's have some fun with game tape breakdowns and such, it always reveals things that surprise me.

They tried at least 3 that I saw, all of which were miserable failures.

Hmm
I think we need to look at all the offensive coaches not just Josh McDaniels.

I don't think the TE's (Pete Mangurian) are being coached correct technique when it comes to reading defenses and catching the ball.
Too many times have I seen both Watson and Graham catch the ball in their pads. Watson also has a hard time sitting down in zone coverage and he often drifts away from the ball instead of attacking it. In 5 years, Graham has never developed the consistency a first round TE should have in the passing game.
I mean it was amazing to watch Antonio Gates use precision route running and great fundamentals vs Denver today.

They tried at least 3 that I saw, all of which were miserable failures.

How as the screen to Graham a failure? The play broke to a first down. You could hear the crowd groan. Then the man allows himself to get stripped. And the problem is play-calling? The Watson catch was tough. He was open though and there are other NFL players who make that catch. The running game gained yards all day. And the trick play? If Faulk throws the proper pass, the play works for a TD. He doesn't. Don't blame the OC for miserable execution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes