PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Offensive Line won the game at Buffalo yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnordcircle

The poster who James White said inspires him.
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not talking about the protection they gave Brady - though it was solid.
I'm not talking about the tremendous run blocking they did - though it was as good as I can remember.

I'm talking about the tone that got set. I felt like the offensive line's completely dominant performance against DL stacked with quality players set the tone for the rest of the game. When we started smacking them around on offense and tearing through them I felt like the defense really started feeding off of that.

I'm not a stats guy - fantasy football has ruined football dialogue. I believe that there are some aspects of football that cannot be captured on a stats sheet. And I think that the mentality a punishing running game fostered lead to a lot of the big hits we were seeing and a lot of the more aggressive defensive play.

I haven't been this upbeat against our OL since we found out Waters probably wasn't coming back. Now let's just see if they can repeat against one of the top 3 front sevens in the game, IMO, on Sunday.

I wasn't too high on Thomas after the last time we saw him but he and the entire OL played their best game of the season. Let's hope this trend continues.

Bolden had some massive holes and he took advantage

The O-line and the Coaching Involved.

From the start of the season, we've all squandered over how bad the offesive line and with adequate reasoning based on how bad they looked in the preseason. Each week we face a new defense and there is always so much talk about how bad the o-line is and how Brady will be killed.

*The Titans game we were worried, we did fine. Although, this was understanding since it was our first game after watching 4 games of subpar preason play from the unit but again, it was preseason.

*The Cardinals game to me was personally the worst game they played and I hate to say it but I called this one with my "Common Misconception" thread. The Cardinals defense stifled Brady and we looked bad. Cardinals are now 4-0 and looks to be forreal, maybe.

*The Baltimore game was probably the most feared game for the offensive line, even without worrying about the infamous T-sizzle. Once again, the coaches had a great game plan and the o-line surprised many that night protecting Brady for the most part. There were a few blown plays but it allowed Brady to put up 30 points on a pretty good defense in Baltimore.

*The Bills game, people freaked out more than ever because of Mankin's absence. We throttled on the fact that Buffalo had spent all of this money to beef up that defensive line adding Anderson and Williams. I won't lie, the matchup before the game on paper, played the favor to Buffalo which is perfectly reasonable. Makins is our best offensive lineman and he was out. Keeping this in mind, we had 2 rushers that went over 100 yards rushing, Brady threw for 3 TDs and even found room to rush for one :)p), put up over 40 points in the second half and just basically demoralized the Bills on their own turf.

Special shout out to that kid Donald Thomas. He stepped in a very crucial role for this unit and filled some HUGE shoes and did a darn good job doing it. We need to give this line more credit and have more faith in them. Hopefully, they continue to surprise us this year. Waters should be an afterthought.

Dante is working his magic. The guy knows how to get the absolute most out of the players he has. But Dante wasn't on the field stuffing their D. I give credit to the players themselves. If we can get a consistent performance out of them that is anywhere close to what we saw yesterday, we should be in good shape moving forward.

A second benefit worth mentioning is Mankins doesn't have to be rushed back before he is truly ready. It'll be great to get him back, but not at 60%.

I agree that the O Line were star performers yesterday but just to tone it down a bit, I think the fact that the Bills played small yesterday totally helped the run game quite a bit.

One thing to consider, the Bills DL was gassed, the LBs suck and sucked, and they flat out gave up.

One thing to consider, the Bills DL was gassed, the LBs suck and sucked, and they flat out gave up.

They played with zero heart in the 2nd half - zero.

And the game has passed Wannestadt by. His whole gameplan was horrific yesterday, and he made no halftime adjustments whatsoever. He geared everything toward the pass, even after it was clear that the Pats were chewing up yards on the ground with ease.

I'd have to agree. The only way you overcome 2 fumbles deep in your own territory, 2 missed makeable FG's, some huge drops that should have led to TD's is if you either get really lucky later in the game or dominate in the trenches until things start going your way. Our OL made that game easy for us otherwise we'd have lost for certain making all those errors, the game ball goes to the entire OL IMO.

At the end of last season, who'd have thought that you could take Light, Mankins, and Waters away from the line and they'd have a game like this? I definitely hope we don't have to test it many more times without Mankins but I'd have thought even for just one game, we'd be screwed.

Last edited:
I was just going to start a post on this. Good job. You are dead on here....the OL (who never gets much recognition on any team really) was phenomenal yesterday...especially since they didn't even have MANKINS!!!! This should make everyone feel much better about our OL overall. Buffalo's front guys are NO joke....but they got their butts handed to them in the trenches yesterday. Bolden and Riddler should buy those boys a big steak dinner.....
I'm not talking about the protection they gave Brady - though it was solid.
I'm not talking about the tremendous run blocking they did - though it was as good as I can remember.

I'm talking about the tone that got set. I felt like the offensive line's completely dominant performance against DL stacked with quality players set the tone for the rest of the game. When we started smacking them around on offense and tearing through them I felt like the defense really started feeding off of that.

I'm not a stats guy - fantasy football has ruined football dialogue. I believe that there are some aspects of football that cannot be captured on a stats sheet. And I think that the mentality a punishing running game fostered lead to a lot of the big hits we were seeing and a lot of the more aggressive defensive play.

I haven't been this upbeat against our OL since we found out Waters probably wasn't coming back. Now let's just see if they can repeat against one of the top 3 front sevens in the game, IMO, on Sunday.

I agree that the O Line were star performers yesterday but just to tone it down a bit, I think the fact that the Bills played small yesterday totally helped the run game quite a bit.

This

It's all about match ups and the OL was going against the perfect opponent. Wanny at DC was icing on the cake. Matt Chatham on the radio predicted this saying that the makeshift OL players would be fine against a straight rush 4 group and run well against light pass rushing DEs and light cover LBs.

Props to Dante and the OL are well deserved.

On a side note, can we now say as to pass rush Ninko > Mario Williams :eek:

Last edited:
If Sebastian Vollmer can stay healthy, our OL will be very good. He destroyed. I repeat. DESTROYED!! Mario Bleepin Williams whom many here wanted to hand 60-70m. Mario looks a lot heavier in the legs than I remember. No burst. Quit once Sea Bass hit him. Stats have him with 2 tackles. I found 1 on the tape i watched this morning. He jumped inside Vollmer prior to snap and Sea Bass figured rg would pick him up. He didn't and tackled Bolden for a 2 yard loss right before td pass to Lloyd. Game was already over. Nate Solder played outstanding. Mark Anderson is horrible vs the run and it showed. There was a play early where Solder pushed him and went outside to block someone else. Anderson still didn't make the play. Not a big gain. But, showed how bad he is. Interior held up well too. They were going against 2 pretty good dt's in M. Dareus and Kyle Williams. Gronk blocked well too. Sealed the corner very well.

I'm watching the game again right now and focusing more on the line this time. The line was good yesterday, but I will still be really happy when Logan is back. Thomas wasn't that impressive, he had pretty bad feets from time to time on his pass blocks. Also, the first sack was on him because he didn't notice a dt stunting in his hole from the center. He was beaten quite some times on pass blocks but Brady is great on moving in the pocket!

On one play he just stood there like a moron while the runningback got hit. I think he quits on the plays a bit early, not playing till the whisle.

There are some run plays where he impresses and seal off his Dline in a really good way. Also som pancakes in there. He stopped the linebackers in a good way on Pulls too.

He wasn't bad by any means but he really need to improve those feets in pass pro and also his awareness.

Not to detract from the OPs excellent points but HOF Brady moved exceptionally well Sunday avoiding the rush and buying time. Even rolled out LEFT tossing a TD pass to Woody who maintained situational awareness seeing his QB was in trouble, reversing direction and moving to the opening in the center of the field, catching the pass and running by slow to react defenders. Add to this Brady's speedy (sic) run off LT for the rushing TD.

Last edited:
Bruschi's insights on the run game and man love for Josh...

The Patriots' offense is always going to take advantage of matchups, but it was the kind of runs they were using that impressed me. This team has been a zone running team to start the year. The runs that were successful utilized mis-direction in the backfield -- RBs starting one way in synchronization with the OL to give the illusion of a zone run, but countering back to the other side. Not only was the quarterback handing off to the RB, but I also saw a counter toss. What this does to a defense is when you see on film for the entire year the zone running game, and then you see it on the field, you react. If you're reacting to one side, and they counter back, the OL will take advantage of you getting out of position. It can only be one step, but that one step is enough for the offensive line to get angles on you. Great job by Josh McDaniels.

Nothing against the line, which was opening some really nice running lanes and setting the RBs up against small personnel, but the Bills were the perfect defense for that banged up O-line. They don't use a lot of disguise or movement, preferring to play straight up. That allowed the Patriots to limit their reads, and to limit their mental mistakes.

It was just what the doctor ordered, and the Patriots took full advantage of it.

Nothing against the line, which was opening some really nice running lanes and setting the RBs up against small personnel, but the Bills were the perfect defense for that banged up O-line. They don't use a lot of disguise or movement, preferring to play straight up. That allowed the Patriots to limit their reads, and to limit their mental mistakes.

It was just what the doctor ordered, and the Patriots took full advantage of it.

It's also the most talented part of their defense.

Kyle Williams - Very good player. I'd take him for us.

Marcel Dareus - Young stud.

Mario Williams - Former top pick and ellite free agent.

Mark Anderson - Why can't we get guys like him. We saw yesterday why he should be paid and played as a situational pass rusher. Not a full time DE.

It's also the most talented part of their defense.

Kyle Williams - Very good player. I'd take him for us.

Marcel Dareus - Young stud.

Mario Williams - Former top pick and ellite free agent.

Mark Anderson - Why can't we get guys like him. We saw yesterday why he should be paid and played as a situational pass rusher. Not a full time DE.

Sure but, as they say in boxing, styles make fights.

"and Momma said KNOCK YOU OUT!!!"

they punched the Ills in the mouth yesterday...today, going over the hits on video....guess those tweets all week had some validity...they SMASHED guys yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes