Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Offensive Line - Settling In

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by mgteich, Aug 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +211 / 14 / -2

Mankins is gone. Connolly is our starting LG. Connolly is probably as good going into this season as Andruzzi or Compton. We'll see how much he improves, but he is experienced and has looked fine.

The open question is depth. How do we prepare for the contingency of injuries, and how do we prepare for the future.

DEPTH
    I think it is Ohrnberger and LeVoir as Game Day backup and as the first off the bench as startes in case of an injury. It remains to be seen whether we carry an additional playwer whose primary function would be backup center if Koppen is out for a full game or more.

KACZUR
    He is getting additional medical opinions. If he can be expected to be ready by mid-season, I think that we keep him on the 53. We could use him as a backup later in the year, and especially if someone is injured.

FUTURE
    Ohrnberger seemed to be prospect that might continue to develop. The open question who of the rest to keep on the 53, if any. Bussey, Larsen and even Welch are possibilties.
  2. Sicilian

Sicilian On the Roster

Ratings:
    +229 / 1 / -2

I liked what I saw out of Connolly in the first preseason game, but it's just that... one preseason game. I want to see him follow up that solid (not amazing, but solid and that's all we need) performance with another one against a pretty quick Atlanta defense, then I'll feel much better.
  3. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +732 / 44 / -47

Disable Jersey

That would take a very significant upgrade over his play last year, and even last game. He wasn't that good against the Saints.
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  4. patfanken

patfanken On the Roster

Ratings:
    +260 / 14 / -8

#91 Jersey

I like what I saw from Connolly, but what can we really see. Generally the only time we notice a OLman is when he screws up. I'm interested in seeing if that guy we signed from the Rams (C/G) or the new guy, the former Steelers G can make an impact
  5. reamer

reamer Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

We already released the Steelers G. Too bad; he had starting experience, and I was hopeful he might be good depth.

I'm not terribly worried about the line yet, but I do wonder how we'll hold up for the entire season. Next year, I'd like to see us pick up a C/G and maybe a T pretty early in the draft. We've got plenty of picks, and I'd love to see the Patriots shore up their O- and D-lines.
  6. Ron Sellers

Ron Sellers Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

At this point the Pats will just have to work with what they have. Hopefully guys like Connolly and Ohrnberger take another step forward this season, and Dante can continue to coach them up and get the most out of them. Offensive lines seem to work best when the players have plenty of reps working together and a lot of continuity, so I don't think picking somebody up who gets cut by another team in a couple of weeks will help much at all this season.

As for next year, I would expect at least one of the four early draft picks to go for an offensive lineman. Hopefully other players such as Larsen will have progressed by then to the point where they can be productive next year too.
  7. pencilneckgeek

pencilneckgeek Rookie

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -1

If by settling in, you mean we're more or less looking at the opening day roster plus some PS depth, I'd have to agree. (I'm assuming Kaczur is done for the year.) Otherwise, I'll abide by the not-as-good as things look when they're going well and not-as-bad as things seem when their going poorly dictum.

Connolly had one decent game. First step is to hope for some consistency, but until an opposing team starts stunting and blitzing, I'm reserving judgment on our starting line.

On the flip side, the ugliness we saw from the second string is somewhat ameliorated by the simple fact that backups don't tend to play next to each other on game day. If Ohrenburger/Bussey/LeVoir/Ghiacuc were slotted in next to the starters, I'd expect better of them than they showed lined-up together last Thursday.

Either way, it looks like some settling-in yet to do.
  8. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Brady had some interesting comments this AM that with just a hint of reading between the lines would seem to indicate he, like BB said last year when Mankins was here, thinks the backs are fine and it's the line play that has to improve...opening some holes.

A few moments with Tom Brady - Extra Points - Boston.com
  9. bigcountry75

bigcountry75 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Perfect Point.....This is true with alot of positions but you are protecting a multi-million dollar investment.......Perfect example....Last season the coach put me in at RG (I have mostly played LT) because they had a beast interior lineman and I am our best lineman.....Anyways our Center got hurt and a new one came in.....Pre-snap I could tell they were going to run a double A gap blitz so I called a blocking audible and everyone EXCEPT the Center knew what to do.....He stepped the wrong way and our Qb ended up with a broken collar bone......Reps and communication can overcome a lot of deficiences that individuals may have.....
  10. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 2 / -0

#12 Jersey

I'm concerned that Connally, Bussey, Orhnsberger and Larsen all get pushed back at the snap of the ball. This shos me a serious lack of strength that leaves us exposed in passing and short yardage situations.

If you go back and watch the tape, rarely did Compton or Andruzzi go backwards at the snap of the ball.
  11. mgteich

Ratings:
    +211 / 14 / -2

Not much was expected from Andrizzi or Compton. But, you are correct, thisd would be a significant upgrade over last year. Playing reguarlay should help his performance. Praticing with the 1's all the time should help his preformance. But, there are no guarantees.

12. mgteich

Ratings:
    +211 / 14 / -2

The Steeler guard had about the same number of starts as Connolly.

If we want to keep a veteran guard on the 53, we have a 3-year starter for CINCi, Ghiaciuc. on the squad. Belichick also could bring in a vet after the final cuts.

13. mgteich

Ratings:
    +211 / 14 / -2

Lines improve as they work together.

For example, I don't think that we can measure LeVoir by how he performs with the scrubs.
    The concern, as DI said, is that Connolly has yet to show a lot when working with the starters when he played in the regular season.

I think LeVoir played reasonably well when he played with the starters last year. He can start at LT or RT if needed. He has the experience with our OL.

I don't know about the other three, but we'll see. There is serious competition for the backup interior line spots. First, Dante needs to decide who is the first off the bench (the Game Day backup): Orhnberger, Ghiaciuc, Wendell, or a free agent TBD.

The 8th and 9th OL positions are much less important. These players will not play unless there are two injuries. Perhaps, the #8 is importantthan normal, given Neal's injury history.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.