Status
Not open for further replies.

Ring 6

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
With the signing of Moss, the offensive side of the off-season is coming clear to me. I think we are close to done.

QB- Yes, it would be nice if we have the spare cap room to bring in a veteran, like Huard or someone, but thats a luxury.
RB- Maroney, Morris, Faulk set
FB- Evans, Eckel set
TE- Need to replace Brady, ideally with a behemoth blocker
WR- I think we are close to done at WR. Gaffney is still out there, and a possibility but I'm feeling OK with what we have plus minor additions.
With Moss and Welker, as well as Maroney and Watson, doesn't it make perfect sense to make Chad Jackson the other outside receiver opposite Moss? Really the 3rd receiver although a lot of people like to put that title on Welker, but production-wise he really is #2. Having Gaffney back, basically in the same role would be fine, but Washington can fill it. We added Aiken as a ster and WR depth. Maybe we add one more guy, sort of a Gaffney from 2 years ago.
I think Jackson has enormous potential, and if he can make it, he will with those players around him. What is the risk? We didnt need much out of Stallworth last year, and were the best offense ever. Spend the money on D.
OL- We bring back the same group, probably mixing in another later draft pick if he can make the team. I'd personally like to see OCallaghan progress and take over/back the RT spot. But we are set, outside of them playing their worst game of the year in the one that matters most.

If we add NO ONE, we are basically returning the best offense ever, with a young talented guy stepping into the role of Stallworth, and Washington stepping in for Gaffney, but will need to fill out the TE spot. It wont take much to replace/upgrade what K Brady gave us anyway.

We should spent almost all of the draft, and the rest of FA on the defensive side of the ball, find talent, and let coaching take over.
Its not a stetch to say that the largest overhauls, and highest use of young players were in 01 and 03 when we won SBs. 04 also, not by design, fits this category because we had so many injuries.
Many fans object to the idea of counting on young, or even new players on defense, but BB has had a very good record of doing it successfully.

We will be witnesses to the rise of Chad Jackson. Can't wait!

CJ can learn from 2 of the best receivers in the league. Hopefully he was taking notice of Donte's ability to grab YAC too.

Would really like to see Gaff back though, unheralded player who's done an excellent job on the quiet. Give him a multi-year deal.

There are alot of intriguing TE's in the draft. Several who are big enough to block and fast enough to catch a few balls to keep LB's occupied. these guys will be available in the 4-6 range so I think we'll be fine there.

I am also hoping for a 5 - 7 round RB to backup Faulk ... we were exposed with him being dinged in the SB ... there are more than a few in the draft who can fill that role.

adding to what is already posted above me ... we can have at least 3 picks in the 1st 3 rounds for the defense
and perhaps 1 stab at a huge OG/RT to develop from the 3rd also. :D

Last edited:
With the signing of Moss, the offensive side of the off-season is coming clear to me. I think we are close to done.

QB- Yes, it would be nice if we have the spare cap room to bring in a veteran, like Huard or someone, but thats a luxury.
FB- Evans, Eckel set
WR- I think we are close to done at WR. Gaffney is still out there, and a possibility but I'm feeling OK with what we have plus minor additions.
With Moss and Welker, as well as Maroney and Watson, doesn't it make perfect sense to make Chad Jackson the other outside receiver opposite Moss? Really the 3rd receiver although a lot of people like to put that title on Welker, but production-wise he really is #2. Having Gaffney back, basically in the same role would be fine, but Washington can fill it. We added Aiken as a ster and WR depth. Maybe we add one more guy, sort of a Gaffney from 2 years ago.
I think Jackson has enormous potential, and if he can make it, he will with those players around him. What is the risk? We didnt need much out of Stallworth last year, and were the best offense ever. Spend the money on D.
OL- We bring back the same group, probably mixing in another later draft pick if he can make the team. I'd personally like to see OCallaghan progress and take over/back the RT spot. But we are set, outside of them playing their worst game of the year in the one that matters most.

If we add NO ONE, we are basically returning the best offense ever, with a young talented guy stepping into the role of Stallworth, and Washington stepping in for Gaffney, but will need to fill out the TE spot. It wont take much to replace/upgrade what K Brady gave us anyway.

We should spent almost all of the draft, and the rest of FA on the defensive side of the ball, find talent, and let coaching take over.
Its not a stetch to say that the largest overhauls, and highest use of young players were in 01 and 03 when we won SBs. 04 also, not by design, fits this category because we had so many injuries.
Many fans object to the idea of counting on young, or even new players on defense, but BB has had a very good record of doing it successfully.

A very useful analysis. I have to admit, though, it is really hard for me to get the Super Bowl out of my head. Our defense didn't lose that game. Our O line lost that game. Granted, the Giants can do on defense what probably no other team can do, but now that they've done it everyone else will be running similar plans.

But you are saying that the Giants didn't own our O-line because they were just that much better, but because our O line had an off day? Do other people agree with that? I am still so upset I can't think objectively about that last game.

I think its make or break for Jackson, and I think we are in a position where it doesnt hurt us much if he breaks.
Yes, I'd like Gaffney back, but I'm not interested in spending a lot of money to get him. If Gaffeny costs what Gay would have, seeeee ya. We need the cap room for defense.

A very useful analysis. I have to admit, though, it is really hard for me to get the Super Bowl out of my head. Our defense didn't lose that game. Our O line lost that game. Granted, the Giants can do on defense what probably no other team can do, but now that they've done it everyone else will be running similar plans.

But you are saying that the Giants didn't own our O-line because they were just that much better, but because our O line had an off day? Do other people agree with that? I am still so upset I can't think objectively about that last game.

Yes, I think our OL simply played poorly that day. They did not face things they hadn't faced all year, nor players that were dramatically better. Pass protection was not a problem all year, but in that game. That adds up to a bad day to me.

I do disagree that the defense didnt lose the game.
When we are talking about winning a championship (you can add in that the offense was the best ever all year to emphasize the point too) there comes a poitn when your offense must deliever in a close game, and where your defense must deliever.
At 14:52 of the 4th quarter, we were ahead, and the Giants were at their own 20.
In the last 14:52 of the SB, the defense allowed 2 80+ drives. After the first one the O came back and took the lead back. Allowed 150 passing yards to Manning.

No matter what else happens in a football game, if in the last 14:52 your D allows an 80 yard TD drive, gets the lead back and allows an 83 yard TD drive, and allows 150 passing yards in 14:52, your D lost you the game.

I am also hoping for a 5 - 7 round RB to backup Faulk ... we were exposed with him being dinged in the SB ... there are more than a few in the draft who can fill that role.

:D

Are you suggesting we keep 6 RBs on the roster or cut Eckel? I think Eckel is more valuable 5th RB since he is an outstanding STer.

You are indicating that we are losing Gaffney, Stallworth and Brady and will feel no negative effect whatsoever. This seems to be a lot of wishful thinking. You are counting on Washington, Jackson and Thomas to all step up, and perhaps also get a TE who will contribute. That's FOUR people you're counting on to get us back to where we were.

FB- Evans, Eckel set

Again would like Gaffney back, do not like the alternatives, but DJ Hacket is intriguing..

You are indicating that we are losing Gaffney, Stallworth and Brady and will feel no negative effect whatsoever. This seems to be a lot of wishful thinking. You are counting on Washington, Jackson and Thomas to all step up, and perhaps also get a TE who will contribute. That's FOUR people you're counting on to get us back to where we were.

And?

I don't think the loss of Brady is a big deal considering how he was injured what seems like the entire last half of the season (exaggeration, I know, but he wasn't nearly as effective late in the season). If they bring back Gaffney (which has been considered pretty likely), I don't see how a combination of Watson, Jackson, Gaffney, and Thomas don't pick up the forty-five receptions that Stallworth had.

I personally have confidence in Jackson to show his abilities after a healthy training camp and offseason and I expect at least forty receptions from him (or Donte's production last year) and maybe more. We'll see.

Last edited:
I think PATs will look to upgrade the TE position.
I heard there is a real tough TE that could still be
on the boards in round 3.

I think they will also do something for the OLine.
This Offense right now is going to be good but it needs
something. PATs running game needs something. If PATs
could have run well on the Giants that game would have
been different. Getting 2.8yds/carry doesn't cut it.

A stronger quick TE might help the running game.
This Offense will be very good the way it is but it could be
better and it should improve over last year not stay the same or
take a step back.

Last edited:
I think its make or break for Jackson, and I think we are in a position where it doesnt hurt us much if he breaks.
Yes, I'd like Gaffney back, but I'm not interested in spending a lot of money to get him. If Gaffeny costs what Gay would have, seeeee ya. We need the cap room for defense.

I'd really like to see the Pats keep JAB and maintain the receiver continuity from last year.

I could easily see the Patriots taking a RB in the 5th through 7th round.

If Ray Rice slips to the middle of the second day, he wouldn't look bad.

Mike Hart will probably be a late pick if he's selected at all, but I think he would look very good as a backup.

Marty Booker could replace J.Gaffney. He was in for a visit last week. I like Gaffney but don't want to go crazy with the money. We won't score 589 points next year. But, I'll bet we get real close to or over 500. A te I like in about 3rd or 4th round is C. Stevens from Cal. Essentially, we are asking D.Thomas/Rookie TE to replace K.Brady. Won't get the blocking that Kyle gave us. But, not a big dropoff at all. Wild-cards are K.Washington/C.Jackson. Do they see the field more on offense? Probably. Will they be as good as Donte? Probably not. But, again. Not a tremendous dropoff. Not like we're asking F.Coleman to replace T.Glenn or anything. Bam Morris will be back. I wouldn't trade our offense for any other one in the NFL.

Patriots signed Sam Aiken, he used to play for the bills and doesn't have great numbers. Maybe he is just a backup, or maybe they are not going to sing Gaffney.

Although, it is most likely that Gaffney will take Stallworth's slot, and Sam Aiken is probably a backup.

aiken will most likley be there for special teams, BB must of saw something in him to bring him in so fast for a look. i think gaff comes back then we can say our WR pos is complete.

I've got to disagree that our OL was just 'having a bad day'. I think the turning point in that game was when Neal got hurt. Then Hochstein came in and played the part of a human turnstile. He was overpowered inside, he was run around, he basically played El Matador blocker out there. The RT play that day was pretty bad too. Brady just had no time. Give him an extra second or two, and we win that game. There were definitely points left off the board in that game.

I think the Left side of the line is set. It is the right side that concerns me. And the depth behind our starters is lousy, as you saw in the SB. I don't necessarily think that you have to get Long or Clady to fix the problem. But an upgrade in talent somewhere in the first day would be a weclome infusion of talent imo.

Otherwise the offense is pretty much set. And I'm not averse to drafting another HB either. When Morris went down, our run offense suffered for a long stretch, before Maroney suddenly started exploding. And then that explosion sputtered to a halt in the SB when we needed it most. The Superbowl disappearing act has given me some reasons to doubt Maroney. I think he'll play better with a good secondary back to relieve him. And note that if Morris goes down again, there is no depth at RB. Faulk can only catch the ball out of the backfield, don't look for him to create a lot of yards on the ground for you.

Last edited:
Yes, I think our OL simply played poorly that day. They did not face things they hadn't faced all year, nor players that were dramatically better. Pass protection was not a problem all year, but in that game. That adds up to a bad day to me.

I do disagree that the defense didnt lose the game.
When we are talking about winning a championship (you can add in that the offense was the best ever all year to emphasize the point too) there comes a poitn when your offense must deliever in a close game, and where your defense must deliever.
At 14:52 of the 4th quarter, we were ahead, and the Giants were at their own 20.
In the last 14:52 of the SB, the defense allowed 2 80+ drives. After the first one the O came back and took the lead back. Allowed 150 passing yards to Manning.

No matter what else happens in a football game, if in the last 14:52 your D allows an 80 yard TD drive, gets the lead back and allows an 83 yard TD drive, and allows 150 passing yards in 14:52, your D lost you the game.

The Giants were the first team to win while scoring fewer than 20 points since 1975. The most prolific offense in history scored only 14 points against a defense they'd chewed up just weeks earlier.

The loss was all about the offense.

And it will get better by losing Stallworth, Gaffney, and Brady without replacement.

The Giants were the first team to win while scoring fewer than 20 points since 1975. The most prolific offense in history scored only 14 points against a defense they'd chewed up just weeks earlier.

The loss was all about the offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back