PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Offense - Open Roster Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Personally I think that 23 of the roster spots are pretty locked in (including Slater in the 23).

Q1 Devey or Kline at RG
I see only one making the 53. BTW, I don't know who will start at RG or at C. The good news is that the OL looked good win many combinations, even without Vollmer.

Q2) Who will fill the Offensive Position #25, presuming that there is one)
Will it be the 4th RB (Bolden or Gray)?
Will it be a KR (Boyce or Finch)?
Will it be a 10th OL (Devey or Kline)
Will it be a 3rd TE (Manieri or Jones)
Could it be the someone from another team?

Q3) Will we carry more than 25 players on offense?

My hope on 4th RB and KR

Gray over Bolden
Finch over Boyce

Devey, Bolden, I don't think so.

Devey, Bolden, I don't think so.
Yes, Devey and Bolden were my last 2 to make the 53. I'm fine with Kline and Gray or someone from another team.

Do you have other suggestions?

My current thoughts are posted in other threads, but the short answer is no. I do expect that we'll pick-up a player from another team, just to kick the tires, if nothing else, so it's hard to be very confident in the back-of-the-roster selections. Injuries will play a role, too. If Stork gets back into 11 on 11s early this week and plays well next week, Wendell might be expendable. If he doesn't get on the field this pre-season, they may retain another OL on the active roster in week one to protect the investment in Stork while maintaining sufficient depth until he shows he's ready to play in an actual game.

I haven't thought it before last night, but even Mallet might be viewed as expendable if decisions at the back end become difficult. With 3 contract-year guys at RB who are all quite valuable this year, it might be desirable to carry an extra rookie there to avoid an empty cupboard at the end of the season. Vereen looks ready for an extension, but they will need a pound-the-rock guy like Gray, and that could be another roster spot taken, if they don't want to gamble on the practice squad and other team's waiver wire. (Having 29th priority is not exactly promising in this department, after all.)

2014 New England Patriots Offense:

QB (3) Brady, Mallett, Garoppolo
RB (5) Ridley, Vereen, White, Bolden, Develin
WR (6) Edelman, Amendola, Dobson, Thompkins, LaFell, Slater
TE (2) Gronkowski, Hoomanawanui
C (2) Wendell, Stork
G (3) Mankins, Connolly, Kline
T (4) Solder, Vollmer, Cannon, Fleming

Total players: 25
Created with Pats Picker: http://patspicker.patsfans.com

Practice Squad Offense (5):

Devey
Halapio
Finch/Gray
Boyce/Maneri
Gallon/Tyms

I'm not sure that Bill Belichick will want to expose Bryan Stork to waivers.

Last edited:
My hope on 4th RB and KR

Gray over Bolden
Finch over Boyce
That would mean you are keeping 6 RB including Develin.

I don't expect Boyce or Finch to make the 53 man roster. We didn't return a kick last night, so their significance to the roster is somewhat negated. I think James White will return kicks.

KR isn't necessary in the current NFL game.

RB4 is intriguing (I consider Develin FB1). With Ridley, Vereen and Bolden all entering last year of their contracts and I think only Vereen with the possibility of resigning I think Belichick might lean towards Jonas Gray instead of Bolden so that he doesn't go into 2015 with all new backs (and James White)

KR isn't necessary in the current NFL game.

RB4 is intriguing (I consider Develin FB1). With Ridley, Vereen and Bolden all entering last year of their contracts and I think only Vereen with the possibility of resigning I think Belichick might lean towards Jonas Gray instead of Bolden so that he doesn't go into 2015 with all new backs (and James White)
You do even better with Bolden on the roster and Gray on the Practice Squad.

FWIW, I think Bolden is an RFA next year, so he can be tendered another year cheaply.

DO THE PATRIOTS NEED NINE OFFENSIVE LINEMEN
if Stork is ready to be the backup center and we cut Wendell? Personally, I would keep Wendell as a backup, at least for four weeks. I understand that some favor Kline over Devey, but that doesn't change the question.

ACTIVE SEVEN
Solder, Mankins, Connolly, Vollmer, Devey, Cannon, PLUS Wendell or Stork

FLEMING
would usually be inactive, but could be active if the OT's are playing TE roles, and also depending on Vollmer's health.

PRACTICE SQUAD
Kline, Cave, Barker, and perhaps an OT from another team

Per espn, Belichick still hasn't decided with regard to our starting OC and RG.

Competition continues at C and RG. The Patriots continue to shuffle offensive linemen at center and right guard. Dan Connolly and Ryan Wendell vie to start at center and rookie Josh Kline, Jordan Devey and Connolly compete at right guard. Belichick still needs to see more before making any decision. “I think we’ll keep grinding away here in training camp,” Belichick said. “Once we, if we decide on something, we’ll decide on it. But I don’t have anything to announce on anybody.”​

Belichick focused on roster, Giants - espnBoston

SOME THOUGHTS
1) Cannon is not listed as a competitor for the starting RG position, perhaps news for some. [mod edit: to clarify, that is Reiss' analysis, not Belichick's comment]
2) Apparently, Belichick believes that all FOUR of these players are capable of starting (or very close to being the best at the position). Yet, we all cut at least one of these players. I think that we finally all agree on keeping Connolly.
3) I suppose our conclusion is that a starting quality player will be waived. There are at least five options, presuming that we are not cutting our 4th rounders.

CHOICES
A) Cut one of Wendell, Devey or Kline. (Stork's status would be important)
B) Carry 10 OL's at least for four weeks, and then decide.
C) Put Stork on the IR-Return after the 53 man cut.
D) Put Stork on the IR before the 53 man cut.
E) Cut Kline or Devey, but keep Cave or Barker instead of Wendell.

CONCLUSION
If Stork isn't ready to be the Game Day backup, then we should put him on one of the IR lists.

Last edited:
Per espn, Belichick still hasn't decided with regard to our starting OC and RG.

Competition continues at C and RG. The Patriots continue to shuffle offensive linemen at center and right guard. Dan Connolly and Ryan Wendell vie to start at center and rookie Josh Kline, Jordan Devey and Connolly compete at right guard. Belichick still needs to see more before making any decision. “I think we’ll keep grinding away here in training camp,” Belichick said. “Once we, if we decide on something, we’ll decide on it. But I don’t have anything to announce on anybody.”

Per AJ, grass is green and the sky is blue.
About equal in the breaking news department.

I love how these reporters act as if BB saying "I'm not telling you anything" in what every version he uses means anything at all. Did they expect him to give a detailed depth chart, announce some cuts, or do an MGTEICH 53 man roster projection for them?

Per AJ, grass is green and the sky is blue.
About equal in the breaking news department.

I love how these reporters act as if BB saying "I'm not telling you anything" in what every version he uses means anything at all. Did they expect him to give a detailed depth chart, announce some cuts, or do an MGTEICH 53 man roster projection for them?
:)
I don't expect Belichick to give the reporters much. Maybe he didn't even make the comments. However, I think that Cannon would have had more reps at RG if he were the starter. Also, it doesn't cost Belichick anything to list the competitors for OC and RG, even if his mind has been made up.
Also, if Barker is truly the backup (or even #3 to Stork), shouldn't he have been given more reps earlier in the preseason games.

My bottom line is that Cannon has been treated as an OT, and Barker as a Practice Squad player. Obviously, Belichick make his own inscrutable decisions.

And just BTW, you can call it the MG53 or you can call it the AJ53. I now agree with 51 of your choices, and can easily accept your choices on the 2 differences.

:)
I don't expect Belichick to give the reporters much. Maybe he didn't even make the comments. However, I think that Cannon would have had more reps at RG if he were the starter. Also, it doesn't cost Belichick anything to list the competitors for OC and RG, even if his mind has been made up.
Also, if Barker is truly the backup (or even #3 to Stork), shouldn't he have been given more reps earlier in the preseason games.

My bottom line is that Cannon has been treated as an OT, and Barker as a Practice Squad player. Obviously, Belichick make his own inscrutable decisions.

And just BTW, you can call it the MG53 or you can call it the AJ53. I now agree with 51 of your choices, and can easily accept your choices on the 2 differences.

MG53 was just a lightheared tease at the guru of the 53 man projections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back