PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Offense Looks Pretty Solid

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Where are the weaknesses? I suppose we could draft an OT if a top prospect were available to push Britt, and perhaps draft a RB (or bring in a jag) to challenge Mills for his spot. And we could use a 3rd QB. But the offense is ready to go, NOW.

OFFENSE (25)
QB - 3 Tom Brady, Cassell, OPEN
RB - 3 Maroney, Morris, Faulk
FB - 1 Evans
HB/RB - 1 Mills
C - 2 Koppen, Hochstein
G - 3 Neal, Mankins, Yates/Mruczkowski
OT - 4 Light, Kaczur, O'Callaghan, Britt
WR - 5 Stallworth, Washington, Welker, Caldwell, Gaffney
TE - 3 Watson, Dave Thomas, Kyle Brady

Last edited:
It's a pretty deep group. I'd like to see a mid round RB picked up who can complement Maroney's running style. Other than that addition, there's not a critical need.

Where are the weaknesses? I suppose we could draft an OT if a top prospect were available to push Britt, and perhaps draft a RB (or bring in a jag) to challenge Mills for his spot. And we could use a 3rd QB. But the offense is ready to go, NOW.

OFFENSE (25)
FB - 1 Evans
HB/RB - 1 Mills
C - 2 Koppen, Hochstein

you must like wendys, the only full name you used is dave thomas :singing: :singing:

you must like wendys, the only full name you used is dave thomas :singing: :singing:

Well, when ya got THREE Thomases ...

Dave ... Adalius ... Santonio.

As a practical matter,
only three can i foresee even being challenged ... much less beaten out:
Evans ... Mruc ... Yates.

OFFENSE (25)
FB - 1 Evans
HB/RB - 1 Mills
C - 2 Koppen, Hochstein

"ON PAPER" I agree with you. It's potentially a very good offensive roster. Yet, I think there are definite question marks.

RB - which Maroney will show up next year? The one who tore up Cinci or the guy who tippy toed in the back field and was tackled easier than an elderly lady on ice skates.

LT - can Matt Light protect Tom now that Daniel Graham is gone? I have real concerns about Matt.

TE - not one of our TEs is a complete package. Do you think teams will really respect Kyle Brady as a pass threat when he is in the game? Can Butter Fingers Watson hold on to the ball and block like Graham did?

WR - still "0" pro bowlers on the roster. Are Stallworth and Washington "Patriot" type players or are they potential problems? Doug Gabriel was a flash in the pan for us last year. Washington reminds me of Gabriel. Can Stallworth stay healthy?

This is going to be, not good but a great offense.. I would like to see maybee another RB, and guard help ,but the offense is pretty much set..

"ON PAPER" I agree with you. It's potentially a very good offensive roster. Yet, I think there are definite question marks.

RB - which Maroney will show up next year? The one who tore up Cinci or the guy who tippy toed in the back field and was tackled easier than an elderly lady on ice skates.

LT - can Matt Light protect Tom now that Daniel Graham is gone? I have real concerns about Matt.

TE - not one of our TEs is a complete package. Do you think teams will really respect Kyle Brady as a pass threat when he is in the game? Can Butter Fingers Watson hold on to the ball and block like Graham did?

WR - still "0" pro bowlers on the roster. Are Stallworth and Washington "Patriot" type players or are they potential problems? Doug Gabriel was a flash in the pan for us last year. Washington reminds me of Gabriel. Can Stallworth stay healthy?

Stallworth looks a little like Gabriel, but that will be the only resembelence..

We didn't sign Brady to catch passes, we signed him to block. If he has 30 receptions next year I'll be surprised.

Maroney hit the rookie wall because of his rib injury. If he stays healthy he'll be productive.

I don't know if Stallworth can stay healthy. He's done it a couple of seasons in the past (2004 and 2005) but it's a little bit of a concern. The bottom line is our WR situation is vastly improved over last year. On the whole, the offense is vastly improved. Who cares about pro bowlers. Branch and Givens weren't living in Honululu every year when they were here and we were still winning SBs.

I don't buy into the Gabriel comparisons. The Gabriel move was out of desperation and at a time when few options were available. Signing Washington and Stallworth were moves that BB clearly gave thought to. The "not patriots guys" is spin by opposing GMs, coaches and mediots who are mortified that this team is not only not about to fade into the night as they so desperately hoped it would, but re-loaded and ready for more title runs.

Plus, the added benefit of these mostly offensive moves means BB can now use the bulk of the draft to load up on D, again really bad news for 31 other teams.

Last edited:
When Madden 2008 is released we should have the highest overall rating. Like a 94 or 95.
We could draft OL help and, in the same vein, a blocking TE. Other than that our O is set. Maybe other guys if we get insider info on who our division foes(Mangini) are after we can draft them instead then ship them off to the NFC.

I feel there is not enough depth at the RB position. There are really only two RBs (Maroney, Morris) who are capable of being starting RBs.

For all Evans brings to the table, I'd have preferred they not re-signed him and instead picked up another Morris-like vet or drafted a guy who could be a full-time guy in case of injuries.

Call me paranoid, but I'm having visions of signing Amos Zerogain off the street again with this lack of depth.

Wouldn't mind at all if they used Mills spot for a rookie RB or vet who could be an injury starter.

IMO, neither Evans nor Faulk is that man.

Last edited:
This offense is going to get respect this year....I doubt that other teams will put 8 or 9 in the box...That is the biggest x-factor...It's going to be very interesting...

You do realize that the tippoy-toeing occured during the play-offs AFTER maroney had the torn rib cartelidge, right? That doesn't heal in 3 weeks. Maroney was playing injured.

You do realize that Light handled Merriman all by his lonesome, yes?

Why do you insist on blowing everything out of proportion? Is it because you are a Red Sox fan at heart?

David Thomas could end up being the complete package. And Watson was hardly butter fingers. But lets not forget that he also was being relied upon to be the #1 receiver on the team.

Who cares about having a fraggin PRO-BOWLER on the team? Its amazing that people still use the PRO-BOWL as a gauge. The PRO_BOWL is a friggin popularity contest.

Stallworth and Washington are on what amounts to 1 year deals. If they do well, the Pats will bring them back.

Now, how can Washington remind you of Gabriel when Washington hasn't played a game for the Pats yet? I think you need to be reminded that it was Gabriel's attitude that got him canned. You know, not listening to his QB and the coaches.

Last edited:
Totally agree with the original post - we look solid across the board.

As for some of what follwoed it is the type of repeated, baseless cliche's I would expect from a Dolphins fan.

Maroney is a bit of a ****...injury..what injury? A **** I say....A ****!

That blocking TE - he wont catch many....but he's a blocking TE....so what...the other guy has butter fingers - GET WIGGINS BACK.

Also, whats the point of having deep threat is your QB can't throw a deep ball without it 'sailing' - apparently Brady has one of the strongest arms in the NFL - DON'T CARE his passes sail!

Oh and don't get me started on the owners - they are so freakin' cheap...hold on...I mean we're totally the Redskins right?

NM

Last edited:
I'm happy with it.

I will miss Dillon's kick you ass kind of style but Morris is a solid replacement. I was concerned about Light but he defeinitely redeemed himself in the playoffs.

Regarding the WR, we'll be in much better shape. Last year Tommy had Caldwell to work with in the offseason and assumed The Twig would be back. Instead he had to have Gaffney and Gabriel thrown at him during the season; what a nighmare. Now, not only is there a lot more talent but they can work together starting next week.

This team looks incredibly deep and will echo other sentiments, that it would not surprise me if there is a very talented OL on the board at #24 and #28 top pick him to add depth. Other than that not much else is needed on the O, maybe an emergency QB.. on paper this is the most talented O team that I can remember.

I think that Matt Light is the question mark. Even though he picked it up a notch in the playoffs, he still does a turnstile imitation too often for my tastes. He'd be a hell of a lot better at the other tackle position. That being said, would be nice if we could get someone to groom for the right tackle position.

OFFENSE (25)
FB - 1 Evans
HB/RB - 1 Mills
C - 2 Koppen, Hochstein

We give up on Chad Jackson already?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back