PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Offense Could Be Even Better With 2 Smurfs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcyPatriot

Wall of Fame
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I was comparing the offense this year to Brady's smurfs whom helped earn us 3 SB victories. I'm thinking Belichick will expand upon what he learned this year in 2 ways.

1: It will be hard to find another Welker but Belichick will look for a Welker clone in the draft. If we keep Randy Moss I think his value to the team is even greater if we surround him with 2 smurfs instead of 1. A way to keep the safety from rolling over the top is to make him respect the over the middle catches designed with the intention of greater YAC.

2: Faulk has a few years left with the team. However, I see Belichick expanding Faulks role next year and also drafting another pass receiving small scatback type of RB in this years draft. Faulk going short along with 2 slot-type WR's instead of 1 will negate heavy pass rushes and give Brady more time to throw even more balls to Moss.

If Belichick does indeed go this route I see Brady and Moss eclipsing the records they set this year. Adding an improved Maroney to that attack like we saw at years end and I think we will absolutely see the greatest offense ever.

I don't want to say Belichick made any mistakes this year. I'm saying he will see where we were exploited and he sill stick a dagger in it. If he can find a kid that can be 75% of what Welker is then he'll have found that weapon. So say good bye to Stallworth as Gaffney takes over by himself the role of the mid-range YAC reciever to complement Moss and the 2 smurfs.

I'm pretty sure Faulk is used pretty consistently as the 2nd smurf. I actually like the mix of talent at WR we had this year. Moss speaks for himself, Stallworth is a great YAC guy, and Welker catches everything. I think it was a winning formula and I'd be shocked if they didn't try to follow it as closely as possible next season.

It smurfin' sucked that the Pats lost the smurfin' Super Bowl. They should have smurfed all over the smurfin' Giants. The played the game like they didn't give a smurf. Smurf!

:D

I'm pretty sure Faulk is used pretty consistently as the 2nd smurf. I actually like the mix of talent at WR we had this year. Moss speaks for himself, Stallworth is a great YAC guy, and Welker catches everything. I think it was a winning formula and I'd be shocked if they didn't try to follow it as closely as possible next season.

It will be tough to improve on what was accomplished this year on offense. It's clear that teams cannot stop Faulk and Welker. Gaffney is a good receiver is multiple receiver sets. The one area of concern is the double-teaming of Moss. That part of the "blueprint" seemed to have worked. The only way to get away from that is to have another legitimate deep threat on the other side. I don't think Stallworth is that and I think he is good as gone.

However, I was very very impressed with Kelly Washington's work ethic on STs. If that translates on offense, he may become the tall downfield receiver opposite Moss that teams will have to respect.

It will be tough to improve on what was accomplished this year on offense. It's clear that teams cannot stop Faulk and Welker. Gaffney is a good receiver is multiple receiver sets. The one area of concern is the double-teaming of Moss. That part of the "blueprint" seemed to have worked. The only way to get away from that is to have another legitimate deep threat on the other side. .

How is another deep threat going to contain a brutal pass rush? You could have 3 deep threats and still the pass rush will get to you before you can throw the pass...tossing it early is not an option ... A competant FS can cover alot of ground playing center field and running under the throw after it is thrown deep.

I think the short throws as used as a running attack will be enhanced by more and more teams ... especially teams with weaker QB's. The athletic ability of DL's to rush the passer gets better after every draft ... they will get quicker and not slower. The short pass game is the best way to slow the attack.

Bam Childress is a smurf, maybe he could help out.

It will be tough to improve on what was accomplished this year on offense. It's clear that teams cannot stop Faulk and Welker. Gaffney is a good receiver is multiple receiver sets. The one area of concern is the double-teaming of Moss. That part of the "blueprint" seemed to have worked. The only way to get away from that is to have another legitimate deep threat on the other side. I don't think Stallworth is that and I think he is good as gone.

However, I was very very impressed with Kelly Washington's work ethic on STs. If that translates on offense, he may become the tall downfield receiver opposite Moss that teams will have to respect.

This is exactly my thinking. The only benefit of having Moss in a tight game is that the other receiver roams free. Look at the Colts, look at the Rams.

Stallworth wasn't cutting it.

Troy Brown and Deion Branch were masters of finding a soft spot over the middle for a key 20 yard reception.

We never had that at ALL this year. Welker catches the ball 8 yards downfield. Stallworth barely caught it. Only Moss went over the middle that far downfield, but Moss is a bit gangly and he has to turtle because of his size.

As ever, we could really use a Deion Branch/Troy Brown type.

Could Dave Thomas end up being the second "smurf"?

He certainly seems to have the ability to get 10-20 yards downfield, and he can certainly catch the ball. . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down