PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Offense and the Shotgun...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kid~Brady

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Seems like we are the second most team in the NFL to use the shotgun formation in week 5. I guess this could attribute to one of the reasons our offense is so good being that we have a ton of formation changes with alternate players.

I always hear everybody talking about how hard it is to keep up with our offense because of all of the personnel changes with backs, TEs and receivers. I'm no "x" and "o" guy like some of you wizards here but this stat kinda intrigued me.

Snapshot of NFL teams using shotgun in Week 5
Team Shotgun Snaps

Atlanta 20
Arizona 32
Buffalo 29
Carolina 29
Cincinnati 29
Denver 23
Green Bay 33
Houston 33
Indianapolis 24
Kansas City 8
Jacksonville 23
Minnesota 16
New England 40
New Orleans 30
NY Giants 34
NY Jets 15
Oakland 22
Philadelphia 35
San Diego 28
San Francisco 14
Seattle 35
Tampa Bay 18
Tennessee 42

Last edited:
Are those absolute numbers, not percentages? If so, the more effective the offense, the higher the number's likely to be, no?

Are those absolute numbers, not percentages? If so, the more effective the offense, the higher the number's likely to be, no?

Absolute numbers…and I don't think high number = success or better offense.
One can argue that the team using the Shotgun more often is trailing and needs to throw the ball (or at least not be shy about showing pass).

% of plays from shotgun would be a much more meaningful statistic. % of plays from shotgun when ahead vs. when behind would be even more insightful.

One can argue that the team using the Shotgun more often is trailing and needs to throw the ball (or at least not be shy about showing pass).

Or maybe the just had a ton of offensive snaps....

Percentages. Brady had only 33 attempts (24/33)

How is it possible to have 40 snaps from the shotgun when Brady only had 33 attempts?

Percentages. Brady had only 33 attempts (24/33)

I'm pretty sure that is the number of snaps out of shotgun. Pats run frequently out of the gun. Brady was also sacked a few times, ran at least once, and it may even count snaps where there were penatlies.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that is the number of snaps out of shotgun. Pats run frequently out of the gun. Brady was also sacked a few times, ran at least once, and it may even count snaps where there were penatlies.

The only thing we run out of the shotgun is the draw and I didn't think we had that many?

The only thing we run out of the shotgun is the draw and I didn't think we had that many?

Brady was sacked 4+ times, he had to run once, there were 4 penatlies on the Jets D, Brady threw an INT, there was a direct snap to BJGE, and I'm pretty sure Ridley ran at least one draw. That is at least 4+1+4+1+2=12 possible shotgun snaps not counted in throwing attempts.

Brady was sacked 4+ times, he had to run once, there were 4 penatlies on the Jets D, Brady threw an INT, there was a direct snap to BJGE, and I'm pretty sure Ridley ran at least one draw. That is at least 4+1+4+1+2=12 possible shotgun snaps not counted in throwing attempts.
Aren't INTs normally included in passing attempts as a general rule? :confused:

Aren't INTs normally included in passing attempts as a general rule? :confused:

I don't think so. I think the attempts is incompletes + completions and INTs are counted as a different stat. I could be wrong tho.

I wasn't saying that a high shotgun percentage = successful offense, simply that the more total snaps you take, the higher the absolute number of shotgun snaps you'd expect.

I don't think so. I think the attempts is incompletes + completions and INTs are counted as a different stat. I could be wrong tho.

An interception is a pass attempt.

Gotcha. Makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back