Not open for further replies.

Tunescribe

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Here's an odd issue I have been dealing with: I've been a season ticket holder for 18 years including every season at Gillette since it opened. During that time I've had one seat upgrade which, lo and behold, placed me amidst seats held by a Boston investment firm run by Ivy League grads and assorted corporate stuffed shirts. That includes about eight seats to my immediate left and another four or so in front of me.

My problem is that this company (which for now will go unnamed) routinely distributes its tix as a perk to clients/employees including (1.) fans of visiting teams and (2.) clueless dweebs who likely believe a football is stuffed with duck feathers. What I'm getting sick of is the revolving door of visiting fans sitting next to me who get likkered up and raise hell whenever Brady gets sacked, their team scores, etc.

So, I finally wrote the company a letter that includes the following:

"Because these tickets are distributed by [said company] as a company perk, their users are not personally invested in respectable behavior as normally would be assumed of private season ticket holders. Particularly egregious is the comportment of fans of visiting teams who often occupy your seats. Alcohol consumption compounds this problem. If you could at least limit your ticket distribution to Patriots fans, it would go a long way toward alleviating this difficulty. I have chosen to write you directly as a courtesy short of involving the Patriots ticket office. If things don’t change, I will extend this complaint to the team."

To which I received a reply today from the firm's chief administrative officer, including:

"Regarding your specific request to limit ticket distribution only to Patriot fans, we cannot agree to do so. Our staff and visitors come from all over the country and often select the games they attend based on the opponent because it’s their one chance so see their favorite team. As a fan I’m sure you can appreciate the desire to stay connected to your home team. Besides, I believe the Patriots, the NFL, and laws protecting free speech and non-discrimination would not want or allow us to take such a position."

Emphasis on the last sentence is mine; an outrageous claim to which I couldn't help but respond to:

"I am confident that 'the Patriots, the NFL and laws protecting free speech and discrimination' have absolutely no bearing on who your company decides to give them to as they're your property. To suggest as much is ludicrous. You can give them to whoever you wish and it certainly is within your rights to limit them to Patriots fans.

Enduring drunken display behavior by fans of visiting teams via [the company] is not my idea of how to enjoy the NFL experience. It also casts your company in a very poor light -- a consideration you might wish to weigh accordingly. I will pursue this matter with the Patriots if things do not improve, as noted in my initial letter. I ask you once again to please give Patriots fans primary consideration in distributing your tickets, ESPECIALLY with the playoffs coming up."

It appears the company doesn't plan to change its way of doing things. Though I haven't contacted the Patriots yet, I also doubt they'd intercede on my behalf, but another seat location change might be a solution. I just thought I'd share this with the board and would like to hear from others having similar experiences at Gillette.

My friend's STs section 110 share the front row right behind the Pats D with corporate pukes. Every game it's a new group. For the most part they seem to be Patriots fans, but is difficult to tell because they arrive late as the 1st QTR wanes and spend the entire game going back and forth for food. I sit at the end of the row and they're in constant motion back and forth. The love to waddle their fat asses in front of me during a key play. No problem with noise though, as not one of the many varied corporate brown noses has ever been known to cheer or make a sound other than chatting amongst themselves.

Die Yuppie Scum!!!

What a gigantic douche bag response with that freedom of speech nonsense, got me angry.

Try getting some video with a phone cam of the next A-holes that enlighten those seats.

I'm surprised they even answered. I'm less surprised that their answer was so stupid.

I don't think the Pats or anyone else will do anything unless there is a rules violation. Try to get someone to punch you, that should take care of it!

i would have waited until i got the first response before i started making threats. That's never the way to start something like this.

Let us know the company and we'll put the true power of Patsfans behind your plight.

Try to get someone to punch you, that should take care of it!

I wish! ;)

i would have waited until i got the first response before i started making threats. That's never the way to start something like this.

Threats? I merely stated that I'd take it to the next level, if necessary, to emphasize I was serious.

Last edited:
I'm surprised they even answered. I'm less surprised that their answer was so stupid.

I don't think the Pats or anyone else will do anything unless there is a rules violation. Try to get someone to punch you, that should take care of it!

True dat. Or when they get all drunk and stupid call the security line at the Razor. They will get the message quickly.

Here's an odd issue I have been dealing with: I've been a season ticket holder for 18 years including every season at Gillette since it opened. During that time I've had one seat upgrade which, lo and behold, placed me amidst seats held by a Boston investment firm run by Ivy League grads and assorted corporate stuffed shirts. That includes about eight seats to my immediate left and another four or so in front of me.

My problem is that this company (which for now will go unnamed) routinely distributes its tix as a perk to clients/employees including (1.) fans of visiting teams and (2.) clueless dweebs who likely believe a football is stuffed with duck feathers. What I'm getting sick of is the revolving door of visiting fans sitting next to me who get likkered up and raise hell whenever Brady gets sacked, their team scores, etc.

So, I finally wrote the company a letter that includes the following:

"Because these tickets are distributed by [said company] as a company perk, their users are not personally invested in respectable behavior as normally would be assumed of private season ticket holders. Particularly egregious is the comportment of fans of visiting teams who often occupy your seats. Alcohol consumption compounds this problem. If you could at least limit your ticket distribution to Patriots fans, it would go a long way toward alleviating this difficulty. I have chosen to write you directly as a courtesy short of involving the Patriots ticket office. If things don’t change, I will extend this complaint to the team."

To which I received a reply today from the firm's chief administrative officer, including:

"Regarding your specific request to limit ticket distribution only to Patriot fans, we cannot agree to do so. Our staff and visitors come from all over the country and often select the games they attend based on the opponent because it’s their one chance so see their favorite team. As a fan I’m sure you can appreciate the desire to stay connected to your home team. Besides, I believe the Patriots, the NFL, and laws protecting free speech and non-discrimination would not want or allow us to take such a position."

Emphasis on the last sentence is mine; an outrageous claim to which I couldn't help but respond to:

"I am confident that 'the Patriots, the NFL and laws protecting free speech and discrimination' have absolutely no bearing on who your company decides to give them to as they're your property. To suggest as much is ludicrous. You can give them to whoever you wish and it certainly is within your rights to limit them to Patriots fans.

Enduring drunken display behavior by fans of visiting teams via [the company] is not my idea of how to enjoy the NFL experience. It also casts your company in a very poor light -- a consideration you might wish to weigh accordingly. I will pursue this matter with the Patriots if things do not improve, as noted in my initial letter. I ask you once again to please give Patriots fans primary consideration in distributing your tickets, ESPECIALLY with the playoffs coming up."

It appears the company doesn't plan to change its way of doing things. Though I haven't contacted the Patriots yet, I also doubt they'd intercede on my behalf, but another seat location change might be a solution. I just thought I'd share this with the board and would like to hear from others having similar experiences at Gillette.

I feel your pain, Tune. I think a seat upgrade is your only answer, though. We've had obnoxious fans hauled out by security before (mostly away fans, but a few drunk Pats fans in there too), but why do you want to increase your blood pressure that way (i.e. having to report drunken louts all the time). I don't think the Pats are going to help you out as the company's money for multiple seats is worth more to them (unfortunately) than your lonely loyal dollars. Ask for Section 236 if you decide to move - we get very few interlopers and the guys in the last row behind me can "out-obnoxious" anyone who shows up.

Case in point, there was a lady in the row in front of me who was a Dolphins fan this past weekend and she kept screaming her head off for REGGIE Bush. Everyone around her, particularly our resident louts, started imitating her, and when he was dropped for a loss a couple of times, everyone let her have it. She was gone by half-time. :)

Obviously the person that responded does not have the slightest clue of what is and is not discrimination, and what is and is not freedom of speech. It is amazing that a presumably large and profitable corporation would allow someone with such little knowledge of these matters, and such little tact to respond and represent their organization.

Perhaps you should find out who his supervisor is and ask him if everyone in that company has such poor understanding on those matters. The company way also need to be reminded of the Patriots Fan Code Of Conduct.

Personally I would have long ago began sending a text to 78247 on a regular basis, and even tried to recruit some others near you to do the same whenever one of them got on your nerves. I also would have asked the Pats to relocate your seats with an explanation as to why your game-day experiences are not as positive as they should be. If I had to make the choice I'd rather be a bit further away from the field with more Pats fans than in those seats.

Lastly, based on the response you received it does not appear that this investment firm is the least bit concerned about public relations. Since that is the case I see no reason for you to protect them and hide their identity.

I say let's let this company find out about freedom of speech firsthand!

I feel your pain, Tune. I think a seat upgrade is your only answer, though. We've had obnoxious fans hauled out by security before (mostly away fans, but a few drunk Pats fans in there too), but why do you want to increase your blood pressure that way (i.e. having to report drunken louts all the time). I don't think the Pats are going to help you out as the company's money for multiple seats is worth more to them (unfortunately) than your lonely loyal dollars. Ask for Section 236 if you decide to move - we get very few interlopers and the guys in the last row behind me can "out-obnoxious" anyone who shows up.

Case in point, there was a lady in the row in front of me who was a Dolphins fan this past weekend and she kept screaming her head off for REGGIE Bush. Everyone around her, particularly our resident louts, started imitating her, and when he was dropped for a loss a couple of times, everyone let her have it. She was gone by half-time. :)

I'm in 227 and like my seats a lot, aside from the "problem neighbors." The Dolphin fan sitting next to me Sunday (courtesy of the investment firm) kept jumping up, waving his arms and screaming every time Miami scored or Brady was sacked, etc. I can deal with that on a limited basis, but not EVERY FREAKING GAME in my home stadium. I personally make a point of being respectfully quiet whenever I travel to see the Pats at away games.

I'm in 227 and like my seats a lot, aside from the "problem neighbors." The Dolphin fan sitting next to me Sunday (courtesy of the investment firm) kept jumping up, waving his arms and screaming every time Miami scored or Brady was sacked, etc. I can deal with that on a limited basis, but not EVERY FREAKING GAME in my home stadium. I personally make a point of being respectfully quiet whenever I travel to see the Pats at away games.

Annoying. The old fashioned "prison justice" of Foxboro Stadium used to resolve that kind of thing.

Annoying. The old fashioned "prison justice" of Foxboro Stadium used to resolve that kind of thing.
Oh it still works. Just in a more "Refined" sort of way..:D ;)

Edit... never mind.

Last edited:
I've been a visiting fan at every fb game I've ever gone to. I'm as least obnoxious of one as you're going to find, and I've had numerous things thrown and kicked at me.

As a season ticket holder, I just verbally abuse opposing fans that I deem to be annoying. I classify annoying behavior as acting as if you were in your home stadium and taunting the home fans either directly or indirectly.

I've been to quite a few other stadiums and I am always respectful of the other teams stadium. I don't bother anybody, I keep my happiness to myself and friends and I don't act in a way that would overly annoy the opposing fans.

I suggest you use your tongue to cut them, after all, Patriots almost always win the home games, and if they lose, you can still give them a nice tongue lashing for being a douche.

Threats? I merely stated that I'd take it to the next level, if necessary, to emphasize I was serious.

Still, you'd probably have been better off holding that to use as an escalation after they either ignored your initial approach or responded in an unacceptable fashion rather than put it out there in your first letter where it might have come across as a threat that got their backs up. Remember, they would have no trouble figuring out that you were "serious" from the fact that you had sussed out who actually owned the tickets and then went to the trouble of writing to them.

Also, FWIW, while the freedom of speech response was silly, you might have had more luck if you had left team allegiance out of it and instead just emphasized the drunken and rude behavior. The ticket owners might have been more attentive to the suggestion that these people are embarrassing their company than they were to a complaint about the cheering preference of their guests. It's pretty tough, especially if you're giving the tickets to a client, to have a loyalty test as part of something that is intended as a gift to someone who pays you money.

Still, the very fact that they responded to you at all suggests that they're concerned. Frankly, I'm surprised that they replied at all; so, they are worried.

Why not try to meet them half way? I'd go back to them and say something like, "OK, I don't care which team your guests are supporting, I just don't want them to be drunk and disorderly around me. If that doesn't stop, I'm going to complain." Always good if you can throw in that you regularly bring a young child with you (even if you don't) and will call security the next time something happens that you feel puts the child at risk. ;)

Last edited:
Still, you'd probably have been better off holding that to use as an escalation after they either ignored your initial approach or responded in an unacceptable fashion rather than put it out there in your first letter where it might have come across as a threat that got their backs up.

Also, FWIW, while the freedom of speech response was silly, you might have had more luck if you had left team allegiance out of it and instead just emphasized the drunken and rude behavior. The ticket owners might have been more attentive to the suggestion that these people are embarrassing their company rather than to their cheering preference. It's pretty tough, especially if you're giving the tickets to a client, to have a loyalty test as part of something that is intended as a gift to someone who pays you money.

Still, the very fact that they responded to you at all suggests that they're concerned.

I'd go back to them and say something like, "OK, I don't care which team your guests are supporting, I just don't want them to be drunk and disorderly around me. If that doesn't stop, I'm going to complain." Always good if you can throw in that you regularly bring a young child with you (even if you don't) and will call security the next time something happens that you feel puts the child at risk. ;)

This is the correct reasoning.

They can cheer on any team they want in any way so long as they don't violate the patriot's stadium code of conduct. You may not like it, but they are well within their rights. If their drunken behavior gets out of hand.....that is the ticket.....or as Patjew suggested....get them to punch you!

As a point of reference though....I am a Cardinal season ticket holder and trust me when I tell you that until you have been to a Cowboy away game...you only think you know the meaning of obnoxious!

Still, you'd probably have been better off holding that to use as an escalation after they either ignored your initial approach or responded in an unacceptable fashion rather than put it out there in your first letter where it might have come across as a threat that got their backs up.

Also, FWIW, while the freedom of speech response was silly, you might have had more luck if you had left team allegiance out of it and instead just emphasized the drunken and rude behavior. The ticket owners might have been more attentive to the suggestion that these people are embarrassing their company. It's pretty tough, especially if you're giving the tickets to a client, to have a loyalty test as part of something that is intended as a gift to someone who pays you money.

Still, the very fact that they responded to you at all suggests that they're concerned.

I'd go back to them and say something like, "OK, I don't care which team your guests are supporting, I just don't want them to be drunk and disorderly around me. If that doesn't stop, I'm going to complain." Always good if you can throw in that you regularly bring a young child with you (even if you don't) and will call security the next time something happens that you feel puts the child at risk. ;)

No, its not just the drunken rudeness. The problem, as I stated originally, is overzealous behavior by fans of visiting teams who have no investment in being respectful to the home fans. The company needs to understand what it's subjecting surrounding ticket holders to by accommodating rival fans on a regular basis. The "loyalty test" you refer to is handled simply enough by giving the tickets to local clients/employees and ensuring that they're not re-sold.

Last edited:
No, its not just the drunken rudeness. The problem, as I stated originally, is overzealous behavior by fans of visiting teams who have no investment in being respectful to the home fans. The company needs to understand what it's subjecting surrounding ticket holders to by accommodating rival fans on a regular basis. The "loyalty test" you refer to is handled simply enough by giving the tickets to local clients/employees and ensuring that they're not re-sold.

I appreciate how you feel and would no doubt feel the same way were I in your shoes. But you're not going to win that argument. I haven't held a Pats ticket in my hands in too long, but I recall that there is something written on the back about orderly behavior. Unfortunately, there's nothing about cheering allegiance.

And, if they are a national investment firm, the chances are that a critical mass, if not the majority, of their best clients are from out of town, including places like, ugh, New York city where I live.

(edit: What's important, it seems to me, is that the behavior changes and becomes respectful and polite. So, I still think you're more likely to succeed by putting the emphasis there rather than on the object of their guests' cheering preferences.)

PJ's suggestion might be the best one then. Get one of their guests to sucker punch you, preferably with someone videoing it. Otherwise, I don't know the protocols around moving to different seats, but that might be an option that gets you what you want and saves you a broken nose. :)

Good luck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill