PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Number One Priority IS Defensive End

Status
Not open for further replies.
And how accurate are college numbers to determine a prospects ability to convert to 3-4 OLB in a 2 gap system? They're almost meaningless. If we took the numbers as absolute indicators, Sheard would be the most productive prospect and should be looked at highly. Kerrigan would be next. I also question the states given. How do you generate 30 sacks over 3 seasons and on 2 QB hurries in that time span? Something's out of whack.

Finally, Quinn's 'one year wonder' which happened over 2 years ago worries me. I don't see why everyone seems to think a guy who showed up out of shape and overweight for the combine and who has only one year of college ball under his belt should be considered the #1 linebacker in the draft. And another question comes to mind, even if he doesn't turn out to be a Vernon Gholston, #1 player for what system? Is he a 4-3 OLB, a 4-3 DE, or 3-4 OLB? Way too many uncertainties with Quinn, without even getting into his character issues, SO I can pretty much GUARANTEE that the Pats will not move up for him.

Mostly for S&G, I put together a list of DE/OLB prospects' college stats. The (number) denotes the season they "started". QBH = Quarterback "hurries".

Kerrigan (3) --- 191 TT - 54 TFL - 30.6 sk -- 2 QBH -- 7 PD - 13 FF
Ayers (3) ------ 181 TT - 27 TFL - 13.0 sk -- 0 QBH - 10 PD -- 5 FF
Clayborn (3) --- 172 TT - 35 TFL - 17.0 sk - 17 QBH -- 7 PD -- 6 FF
Cunningham (3) - 147 TT - 32 TFL - 17.5 sk - 11 QBH -- 7 PD -- 5 FF
Sheard (3) ----- 139 TT - 35 TFL - 19.5 sk - 38 QBH - 14 PD -- 5 FF
Romeus (3)* ---- 135 TT - 38 TFL - 19.5 sk - 17 QBH - 11 PD -- 4 FF
Reed (3) ------- 107 TT - 24 TFL - 16.5 sk -- 1 QBH -- 5 PD -- 5 FF
-
Acho (2) ------- 131 TT - 31 TFL - 18.0 sk - 20 QBH -- 6 PD -- 8 FF
Karl Klug (2) -- 121 TT - 26 TFL -- 9.5 sk -- 9 QBH -- 8 PD -- 3 FF
Smith (2) ------ 112 TT - 29 TFL - 16.0 sk -- 1 QBH -- 7 PD -- 2 FF
Houston (2) ---- 105 TT - 34 TFL - 18.5 sk -- 3 QBH -- 3 PD -- 3 FF
-
Quinn (1) ------- 52 TT - 19 TFL - 11.0 sk - 12 QBH -- 3 PD -- 6 FF
-
* Romeus' stats are 2007-09 only (inj 2010)

Last edited:
I wish I could say the same, but that guy does nothing for me. And to this day I am still waiting to see his name appear in the "big play" column.

He he ever picked off a pass or caused a fumble? What? Maybe one of each in his career?

Meanwhile Willis has more in any one season of his career than Mayo has in his entire career!

I just don;t get why all the lvoe for "four yard downfield tackle" Mayo.

And you hate Mayo because he's not Patrick Willis... Ok suit yourself. Mayo was only the leading tackler in the NFL last season and tackling is of high value in this defense. I'm sure you're chalking that up as nothing special but I disagree. Different players have different skills. Mayo's not a turnover machine, but that's not what he's here for.

I for one think that you highly overrate Quinn. I don't see BB giving up multiple assets to move up for a conversion project. Defensive End is where the talent AND the value coincide in this year's draft. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Nicely put!! :rocker:

My deep and abiding admiration for the acumen of Brother Jones is WELL documented ~ he's in a VERY short list of "Elite" analysts on this Site, for my money!! ~ so it AMAZES me how consistently divergent our CONCLUSIONS are...you know: Considering my OWN brilliance!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back