Welcome to PatsFans.com

The no-spin morning after review

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by QuiGon, Nov 8, 2006.

1. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yesterday was a big win for the dems, big loss for the Repubs. After looking like the Repubs would maintain the Senate, that now looks like it won't be the case. While I take some personal satisfaction at the fact that the dems need to go crawling back to Lieberman, it doesn't offset my disappointment of losing both houses of Congress.

Bush is a 2 year lame duck and the race for the White House has officially begun. McCain and Clinton are the early favorites, but one of yesterday's big winners is Mitt Romney, who will gain a lot of primary votes with Allen dead and buried. Don't get me wrong... as a Conservative, I am disappointed Allen lost... but as a Romney supporter, this helps him in '08.

So now it's time for the dems to put their money where their mouths are. I've been saying all along that they have absolutely no plan to deal with Islamo-fascism, they just sit back and criticize the Repubs. Now that they are the party in power, it's time to put up. Let me know when the impeachment proceedings will begin and when you plan to pull all financing of the war.

As a side note to the moonbats on this board, do me one small favor and promise me you won't f*ck up the economy which has been going absolutely great over the past few years, ok..?
  2. ctpatsfan1

ctpatsfan1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I take great satisfaction that the Dems need to go crawling back to Joe. The repubs (and I am one) didn't deserve to maintain control, they lost their way and the power went to their heads like it had for the Dems prior to the 1994 Repub take over. They were no longer fiscally conservative, they were no longer the party of morals and certainly were no longer the party that could be trusted to do the right thing for the American people. They became what they dispised in 1994 and had move too far to the right.

It appears, time will tell if it really is true, that the Dems got the message since many of the new electees are moderate fiscally conservative dems who will moderate the extremists that currently lead their party. Its too bad the Repubs had to lose power in order to get that message across.
  3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

I think you overlook the fact that most Democrats probably supported Lieberman. It was the more liberal elements and Democratic Party people who supported Lamont. I think there were some extreme views towards Lieberman amont liberals, but I think that was a result of his sanctimoniousness. After all, he was not the most conservative Democrat in the Senate. I wanted Lamont, of course, but never thought Lieberman would be a disaster. It's just I don't like his arrogance and his whiny voice. But, he does really reflect CT values, the most yuppy state in the nation.
  4. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

In a lot of ways, the Repubs got what they deserved. A lot of them abandoned Conservatives, so Conservatives abandoned them. Meanwhile a lot of these new dems got elected on Conservative platforms. For example, have people actually looked at Heath Shuler..? If I gave bullet points of all his positions on issues, and then said "he is a democrat," no one would believe me.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2006
  5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +306 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

As the saying goes, it's easy to be a critic.

They will, don't worry. I'm off to check the stock market now, I'm greatly worried. It, not social security, is my retirement fund. And more Democrats have money in it through 401Ks than they realize :(
  6. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +306 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Down 50 in ten minutes. Good job, America :mad:
  7. ctpatsfan1

ctpatsfan1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Dems are in control now, its their fault. ;)
  8. PatsDeb

PatsDeb PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -1

As with most things in life, it probably won't be as great as the Dems think this morning, or as bad as the Repubs think. I just hope the Dems take this opportunity that they have been given and use it to clean up the very serious problems facing our country - getting out of the mess in Iraq without destroying our military and/or the Iraqi people, fixing the federal deficit and making life more affordable for the every day guy. That is the message Americans were sending. If it descends into partisan bickering and endless fighting over the past about who did what and indictments/impeachments that go nowhere, then the Dems will have failed. I hope they have learned from the recent past. I, for one, am greatly relieved that there is this chance for the country to start going in another direction two years earlier than I had hoped.
  9. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +306 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Indeed. This is one way to pump up support for social security - f*ck up everyone's retirement savings so we'll have no choice but to rely on SS.
  10. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Just out of curiousity, how exactly do you plan on doing that...?
    I think you're reading a little bit too much into your "mandate" here. I am the first one to agree the Repubs got their butts kicked over the situation in Iraq, but this election wasn't about the federal deficit or minimum wage laws. There was no "message Americans were sending" to raise taxes, increase the welfare dime, or mess around with the economy.

I watched about 9 hours of election day coverage yesterday flipping amongst 4 networks and I didn't hear the federal deficit mentioned once.
    Your naivete is so adorable. :rolleyes:
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2006
  11. PatsDeb

PatsDeb PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -1

I am not naive Quigon; idealistic perhaps but not naive. As usual, my blood is starting to boil so I will not be responding any more (I will read your last response whatever that may be, but I won't respond). You and I will never agree on things obviously, but it is your paternalistic, condescending attitude which got you and your boys swept out on the tide yesterday by me and lots of your countrymen. I have no idea how to fix Iraq; that is for those who have been elected to decide and I am afraid for them and us. But I can tell you that I am horrified to the core at the invasion of another country based on a lie which has turned into an abyssmal, people killing, abject failure which that stupid idiot in the White House has no idea how to fix either, and he and his party have had more than enough time to come up with something.

On the issue of the economy, people said they voted for a change because of Iraq and "corruption." The corruption I think people are talking about is big oil and big drug companies (among others) absolutely schilling the common person with the assistance of the Republican party. To me, those are economic issues; if you disagree, so be it.

As a goodbye I am just curious about your on-line persona. Surely you don't envision QuiGon as a republican?

I hope our country gets better for both of us as a result of yesterday's elections.

Debbie
  12. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Your idealistic naivete is so adorable :rolleyes:
    You gotta have thicker skin than that if you want to hang with the adults in here, sweetheart. You guys won last night and your "blood is starting to boil"..?!?
    Well ya see now, that's kind of the whole point I've been making for a few months now. The democrats have absolutely no solutions to the current mess, they just have been criticizing from the outside. I have asked time again to all sorts of dems: "If the War in Iraq is so wrong, how exactly should we be dealing with the threat of terrorism and Islamo-fascism?"

For some reason, they never respond to that question.

Ah, but that's not what you originally said. You talked about how the American people were calling for, among other things, a reduction in the federal deficit. All I did was correct you by saying the deficit wasn't really an election issue this go-round.
    I am not a Republican. I am a Conservative first and foremost with some Libertarian tendencies. Obviously that generally makes me more allied with Republicans than with democrats (but not always). As for the fictional character from the fictional movie which is set in a fictional place, I would consider him non-partisan.
  13. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

There's really not a lot the Dems can do to fix Iraq between now and '08. The Constitutionally-mandated financial oversight that the Reps have been skipping, and basic bartering (ie telling Bush to fire Rumsfeld and the vote he wants on some bill will come his way,) are about the only two things I can think of. Cutting off funding for Iraq just isn't going to happen. Its as far off the table as Impeachment hearings. Iraq is still a foreign policy/military issue and that sort of stuff belongs with the White House.

What they can do right now is stop giving the big drug companies such sweetheart deals. Let SSI negotiate for bulk prices/generic products and let foreign companies compete too. There's entirely too much demand in the medical industry to keep supporting the drug companies like this. With all the new technologies making more conditions treatable and the increase in life expectancy meaning those conditions all need to be treated for a much longer time, its time for the big drug companies to embrace the free market for once. As long as the voters keep getting older its going to keep on raining money in the medical industry. The drug companies don't need to be carried anymore.
  14. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well that's a heck of a campaign platform you have there. "There's nothing we can do to fix Iraq..!!" Of course, it's convenient how y'all waited until after the election to make that admission.

Oh, and here's a little newsflash regarding how the world really works: The dems don't want to fix the problem in Iraq anytime between now and 2008. The would love the same anti-Iraq feelings that helped them yesterday still be alive and well come 2008. Not only would that enable them to strengthen their grip in Congress, it would also propel them to the Oval Office.

So the key right now for the dems is to make it look like they're doing everything they can to fix Iraq without actually doing a darn thing.
  15. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Damn. Speaker Pelosi sure managed to get Rummy fired in a big hurry. She's gonna be more useful in getting the Shrub to stop acting like a moron than I thought.
  16. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +319 / 4 / -2

Well for that matter, niether do the democrats.

Typical "30 minutes or less" american sentiment. I guess building a sovereign democratic nation from nothing has a preset timetable. History sure has proven that eh?

[​IMG]

Corruption = Foley, Bob Ney, Tom Delay, the Blunt's, Taft, Frist, etc....

The GOP got what they deserved, as did the Dems in '94. History has been repeated. The message of each election has been simple: "keep the extremists out of office". Both votes were not votes in favor of one party. They were votes against the other. I pray that the loony liberals who have hikacked the Dem party are smart enough to understand this. If they aren't, and think it is a mandate like the Bush thought 2004 was, then we're headed down shiits creek without a paddle.

The message here is simple. The people don't want loons, they want centrists. They want people who are sane, and sensible. They want fiscally sane government, low taxes, and smaller government. Furthermore, they are unhappy about Iraq. I don't think they want a pullout, they just want some results.
  17. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +319 / 4 / -2

Well for that matter, niether do the democrats.

Typical "30 minutes or less" american sentiment. I guess building a sovereign democratic nation from nothing has a preset timetable. History sure has proven that eh?

[​IMG]

Corruption = Foley, Bob Ney, Tom Delay, the Blunt's, Taft, Frist, etc....

The GOP got what they deserved, as did the Dems in '94. History has been repeated. The message of each election has been simple: "keep the extremists out of office". Both votes were not votes in favor of one party. They were votes against the other. I pray that the loony liberals who have hikacked the Dem party are smart enough to understand this. If they aren't, and think it is a mandate like the Bush thought 2004 was, then we're headed down shiits creek without a paddle.

The message here is simple. The people don't want loons, they want centrists. They want people who are sane, and sensible. They want fiscally sane government, low taxes, and smaller government. Furthermore, they are unhappy about Iraq. I don't think they want a pullout, they just want some results.
  18. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Liked hearing your point of view, PatsDeb. Hopefully, you'll post some more and not get turned off by some of the posters who have no ability to comprehend a different opinion. LMAO, he called you sweetheart. I'm sure we will see some fascinating posts in the future concerning our new Speaker of the House.
  19. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

20. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +306 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Happily. I think the stock market is assuming that the Democrats will have to play nice for two years to try to win the White House. Also the Rumsfeld thing helped as it showed Bush would play along. Stocks were down before that. I have realized, though, the feared bloodletting would happen if the Democrats win the White House in two years along with both houses of Congress.

I actually put some money in my funds today.