PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Next Two Weeks - Decisions That Need To Be Made

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Miguel has given a very detailed proposal, which I strongly support with the addition of restructuring Browner and signing Connolly. I just thought I'd focus on the decisions that need to be made NOW, well in the next two weeks.
=====================
BOTTOM LINE
This is NOT rocket science. Obviously, if we don't sign Revis, we would have $6M more available in free agency, but none of us are considering that now.

SOURCES IN ROUND NUMBERS ($24M)
$14M - Sign Revis to a 4 year deal ($1M salary, $20M bonus and negotiated AAV and guarantees)
$8M - Cut Wilfork (consider re-signing him in free agency)
$2M - Restructure Browner (spreading out the bonus he is due; an extension is also possible)

ROUNDED UP COSTS ($24M)
$8M - Overage
$10M - Franchise McCourty (contract would be better, but there is no rush, since he is OK with the tag )
$4M - Sign Gostkowski
$2M - Sign Connolly
$0M - pay other bonuses and live with guarantees (Miguel has already included these in his cap numbers)

I AGREE WITH MIGUEL
that more should be done. We should restructure Mayo. Even giving him all his money can reduce the cap by $4M. Signing McCourty to a long term deal saves another $5-6M. Extending Solder saves another $3M, no matter what his AAV ends up being. If any of these is done, we can sign Branch, Casillas and White and perhaps have a bit left over.

THIS STARTS US WITH NOTHING
There are lots of many opportunities to reduce our cap costs (some by large amounts), as Miguel has detailed. None are NEEDED until there is a need to sign someone. In most of our opinions, the number one free agency need is a 3rd down running back.

I really doubt Browner will restructure after the year he had

I really doubt Browner will restructure after the year he had

I'm imagining mgteich's definition of restructuring to mean a simply conversion or even the addition of another year (for example), rather than asking Browner to take an actual pay cut. In this instance, Browner would still receive everything that's coming to him, but it would provide immediate cap relief.

Recall that Mayo may well not get restructured until he passes a physical, because at that point his negotiating position gets WORSE just as his value gets greater.

Miguel has given a very detailed proposal, which I strongly support with the addition of restructuring Browner and signing Connolly. I just thought I'd focus on the decisions that need to be made NOW, well in the next two weeks.
=====================
BOTTOM LINE
This is NOT rocket science. Obviously, if we don't sign Revis, we would have $6M more available in free agency, but none of us are considering that now.

SOURCES IN ROUND NUMBERS ($24M)
$14M - Sign Revis to a 4 year deal ($1M salary, $20M bonus and negotiated AAV and guarantees)
$8M - Cut Wilfork (consider re-signing him in free agency)
$2M - Restructure Browner (spreading out the bonus he is due; an extension is also possible)

ROUNDED UP COSTS ($24M)
$8M - Overage
$10M - Franchise McCourty (contract would be better, but there is no rush, since he is OK with the tag )
$4M - Sign Gostkowski
$2M - Sign Connolly
$0M - pay other bonuses and live with guarantees (Miguel has already included these in his cap numbers)

I AGREE WITH MIGUEL
that more should be done. We should restructure Mayo. Even giving him all his money can reduce the cap by $4M. Signing McCourty to a long term deal saves another $5-6M. Extending Solder saves another $3M, no matter what his AAV ends up being. If any of these is done, we can sign Branch, Casillas and White and perhaps have a bit left over.

THIS STARTS US WITH NOTHING
There are lots of many opportunities to reduce our cap costs (some by large amounts), as Miguel has detailed. None are NEEDED until there is a need to sign someone. In most of our opinions, the number one free agency need is a 3rd down running back.

I don't think Revis will sign for $14M. Think $16 or $16.5M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back