Welcome to PatsFans.com

The next time a leader of a foreign nation.....

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Jan 17, 2010.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

....attempts to belittle the United States of America for not doing our part, tell them to (Please be quiet - edited) and $hut tha phk up!

I don't care how wealthy we are, I am both amazed and proud of how quickly both our gov't and our people have stepped up to help Haiti in their hour of great need.

U.S. businesses, private citizens, community organizations and our gov't have reacted as only a great nation would for this cause. Whether its a disaster close to our shores or on the other side of the world, America always comes to the rescue like no other. anyone heard what China is doing for Haiti?:rolleyes:

Regardless of our wealth, we are not obligated to do anything. But that's not how Americans think or act. Time after time when disaster strikes, Americans are the first to arrive and the last to leave.

If you don't believe me, take a look at the statistics of America's generousity when the tsunami hit the shores of Southeast Asia.

If this doesn't make one proud and grateful to be a citizen of the United States of America, I don't know what could.:americaflag:

P.S. Go Scott Brown!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +367 / 11 / -27

That to whom much is given, much is expected...

3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +533 / 6 / -2

+1 pal. :americaflag:

4. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +63 / 14 / -9

It doesn't matter if you have a R, D or I next to your name, If you have a
    heart you have to feel for the people of Haiti.

After watching the horrific images this week the wife & I called up and
    made a donation Friday night.

Too be honest, I usually only donate to animal charities.
    I just had to donate to Haiti....

I am sure a lot of people gave more, but I probably gave more $ than
    France.

5. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

I agree and AMericans ALWAYS give more than is expected. That's my point here Darryl....WE ALWAYS GIVE MORE THAN SHOULD BE EXPECTED!

That applies to monetary aid and human aid. Americans always line up to volunteer to go to all corners of the earth to HELP those suffering.

So, aren't you so damned proud of your country Darryl? If you're not, you have deep issues.

6. MrSparkle

MrSparkle Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Agree fully. This is not a political issue and politics should remain out of this. It's a horrible situation that will take a Herculean effort to even make a dent in the pain they are going through. This is going to be years in the rebuilding and we must do it very carefully (we = a world wide effort).

Corruption there one of the biggest threats and great effort must be given to ensure the help sent does not go to the wrong people.

7. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

It's never "how much" COJ...it's just making an effort and not thinking "others" should be doing the helping. If all Americans did what you did, then we've done our job.

God bless you for your generousity!

8. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

I agree with your latter points Sparkle. In my op, I think it would be good & just if the world NOT allow the current powers to be in Haiti take control of the $$ donated to them. Some UN group should be in control of all the contributions AND we should also make sure that the new Haiti not be so corrupt.

Their people deserve better.

9. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

Interesting story...

I took my nephews skiing this weekend up in New Hampshire. We rented a little cabin on Squam Lake for Friday & Saturday nights. Friday night, we went to a great local restaurant called the Italian Farmhouse. I could tell as soon as I got to the front desk that is was run by a staff of super far-left liberals.

Since I was once one of them, I felt at home. I have no problem mixing with far left of far right people and I love going to new places and meeting people. Anyway, there was a big schedule of events the staff sponsors. Everything from animal shelters to vegetarian lifestyle meetings. On this particular night, they were selling raffle tickets to help Haiti.

So this super friendly guy who looked like he was a heldover hippie started telling me how much people have given already. He opened an envelope and started counting. I expected it would be something like $500+, but he counted slightly over $100. But I smiled and said that's awesome! He was so excited about helping that I couldn't help feel his genuine pride and concern about this issue.

I bought some raffle tickets and sat down to one of the best dinners I've had in a long, long time! It was a beautiful old farmhouse with Italian music playing and the staff was incredible. Almost made me want to quit my job and do the hippie thing all over again!

AND....my waitress was stunning! My nephews (ages 12 & 16) loved having her serve us too!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  10. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +512 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

All I hear is how no-one has any money and yet everyone is sending money to a cess pool like Haiti. To each his own, I guess.

11. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +63 / 14 / -9

BF.... I prefer charity giving to taxes. I like to decide where my money
    goes. I just hope the money I give bypasses the corrupt goverment in Haiti.

When I see a poor 3 year old orphan pulled from the rubble, I feel it
    necessay to reach into my pocket and give what I can to help.

I am as far from the left as you can get on this board.
    I have been called racist by many on these boards and I have also received infractions for my stance against affirmative action.

As a father of 2 (Ages 3 & 2) I put politics aside when I comes to
    helping children who's lives depend on it.

Trust me.... I am not turing blue and I am sure Press Coverage,
    Patters and Darryls will be tearing into my views again sometime soon.

12. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +512 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

I know what you're saying but just because this is new doesn't make it any worse than the impoverished in, say, Africa. There are people starving to death there too. It's a shame but we can't save the world.

13. MrSparkle

MrSparkle Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The fact that we can't does not mean we should not try. We need to do what we can.

14. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +512 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

If everyone did "what we can" we'd all be living in trailers and driving 1976 Plymouth Volares. I'm not trying to be a jerk and certainly not critical of anyone's choices but I think people saying they're doing what they can are overstating things just a little. In Haiti I think you're wasting your money unless a new and good government is installed.

15. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

No one can get an infraction for their stance against affirmative action. I'm guessing you voiced your op in a manner that didn't go over well.

Affirmative action stinks.....

See! Nothin happened to me.

16. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +367 / 11 / -27

We are doing is what is expected of this great nation.. if we do not we contribute a more significant loss of life may occur than has what already happened.. Haiti is our neighbor, and our efforts shine brightly.. it is incongruous to say some value life as something sacred, but view the lives of Haitians as some type of collateral damage, one person's life is not worth more than another's...

It is not about pride or politics, for some reason this has been painted a left vs. right issue, while in reality it is an issue of humanity, of valuing human lives.. it is what we do, and how we should lead.. some label it as aiding a cesspool, while in reality it is someone's home.. if we do not respond, help make it stronger and help rebuild it, it may lead to unintended consequences..

Unfortunately many from the right; Limbaugh, Pat Robertson, Bill O'Reilly.. the so called christian folk have tried to politicize it.. they have become strange bedfellows with Hugo Chavez et al.

What we are doing, is what we should be doing and if you are looking for adulation by others on the international stage, it is being donea are for the wrong reasons...

Charity is not done because you receive praise, it is not done as a left vs. right issue, a christian vs. non christian issue, charity is done because it it the right and just thing to do... social justice, and helping our very poor neighboor is the end in all of this.

There will some who will view these comments as anti american, but it is none of this, it is simply a view of how some see how the world works or should work.. if you question this, don't because you will never understand it anyways...

In about 8 months check out Kiva - Loans that change lives, they make a difference, as when the US clears out, there will be a need to make a small loan to contribute to their infrastructure...microfinancing with a team, does make a difference...

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  17. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +564 / 8 / -8

Yeah, well... I don't mind that people abroad do think a little better of us if we share some of our riches when a need arises. I don't care that everybody likes a little good PR on the world stage. It comes when it is merited, and often in these sorts of cases it is merited. Sure you don't worry about whether or not you get your international brownie points, they will come. But there's something to be said for enlightened self-interest and doing well by doing good, for the country as a whole. Somewhere between how we live now, and all living in trailers and driving 74 Volares (don't knock the fine corinthian leather,) is the little bit we all can do comfortably. And somewhere beyond that lies "giving until it hurts..." and we're all on the honor system as to where these points lie for us.

The Limbaughs of the world have already complained that they "gave at the office" by paying their taxes. I guess the rest of us (right, left, or center) are more capable of giving than Rush. This isn't a swing at his politics, it's just a matter of doing the right thing.

18. s.t.e.n.d.e.c

s.t.e.n.d.e.c Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The US has pledged 100 million dollars so if we divide that by 300 million the apprx. population of the US it come out to about .33 cents a piece. Wow that Limbaugh sure is generous.

19. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

This guy is one of the Far Left Wings Heros, Danny Glover, Sean Penn and some of those other Hollywood Pigs were down there kissing him on the mouth, I could be wrong but isn't Chavez one of the guys Prince Barack "Bowed To"

Chavez says U.S. occupying Haiti in name of aid.

CARACAS (Reuters) - Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez on Sunday accused the United States of using the earthquake in Haiti as a pretext to occupy the devastated Caribbean country and offered to send fuel from his OPEC nation.

WHY WOULD ANYBODY WANT TO OCCUPY THAT DAMN SH!THOLE IT'S "HELL ON EARTH"

Chavez says U.S. occupying Haiti in name of aid | Reuters

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  20. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +564 / 8 / -8

That's as absurd as saying when Chavez supplies fuel oil to needy Americans he is "occupying" America.

The trouble for a Chavez when Americans don't make themselves look bad on the world stage, his efforts to make us look bad become counterproductive.

So much of the Haitian government -- as much as our local savants had to say about that government being corrupt -- is just in ruins. The buildings, the people who worked there, the leadership themselves.

I think you're right, Harry. We don't particularly want to occupy Haiti. We have enough to worry about. But other than the types of massive aid efforts afoot, the only option for Haiti is even greater suffering.

Here's an idea. Limbaugh. Chavez. Locked Room. Two men enter, one man leave.

PFnV