PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Next Mike Vrabel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
his name has been thrown around here for some time now........I think he's a good fit for the pats

This guy wins the Binky of the month award. :p
I only hope he's as good as some people say that he is.
And I'm afraid how many people will jump off a bridge if we don't end up taking him...

This guy wins the Binky of the month award. :p
I only hope he's as good as some people say that he is.
And I'm afraid how many people will jump off a bridge if we don't end up taking him...

if the pats draft him, he will be a project, and the risk of failure is substantial given he's only played defense for a year.......that said, I believe his character minimizes the risk and he sounds like the kind of guy that will do anything ...... he's already a pretty good TE, also and I have no doubt that he would be a welcome addition to special teams while he learns to play OLB

Which position can he cover in our defense? The OLB role?

if the pats draft him, he will be a project, and the risk of failure is substantial given he's only played defense for a year.......that said, I believe his character minimizes the risk and he sounds like the kind of guy that will do anything ...... he's already a pretty good TE, also and I have no doubt that he would be a welcome addition to special teams while he learns to play OLB

I think you've hit the nail on the head there, TAU: is it okay to draft a guy where we're not exactly sure where he'll play? Is he a real convert to D or a tweener like Matthew Slater? :eek:
He had mediocre numbers as a TE as a junior (after Brent Celek graduated), then proved his ability as a pass-rushing DE as a senior. Great athleticism on straight-ahead tasks (sacks, blocking kicks), but what will he do in space?

Don't forget: the Pats have several OLB projects in Foxboro now, including "redshirted rookies" like Crable and Darrell Roberts, not to mention Woods and Redd. As attractive as Barwin is as a prospect (and I've been on his bandwagon for a while now), are we sure he can deliver as a second-round pick in the same way that other second-rounders (DL, DB, OLB) would?

As I said, I've liked this guy for a long time, but when I first noticed him he was pegged as a 4th-rounder by nfldraftscout. I just don't see him as a Day One pick right now. Too many unknowns. :(

I think you've hit the nail on the head there, TAU: is it okay to draft a guy where we're not exactly sure where he'll play? Is he a real convert to D or a tweener like Matthew Slater? :eek:
He had mediocre numbers as a TE as a junior (after Brent Celek graduated), then proved his ability as a pass-rushing DE as a senior. Great athleticism on straight-ahead tasks (sacks, blocking kicks), but what will he do in space?

Don't forget: the Pats have several OLB projects in Foxboro now, including "redshirted rookies" like Crable and Darrell Roberts, not to mention Woods and Redd. As attractive as Barwin is as a prospect (and I've been on his bandwagon for a while now), are we sure he can deliver as a second-round pick in the same way that other second-rounders (DL, DB, OLB) would?

As I said, I've liked this guy for a long time, but when I first noticed him he was pegged as a 4th-rounder by nfldraftscout. I just don't see him as a Day One pick right now. Too many unknowns. :(
He's no more of a mystery than Maybin or any number of other one year wonders who come out as juniors. If anything, he's proven he can play two positions well enough to be drafted (if we can assume the smoke the scouts blew him had some basis in fact).

If the scouts don't know what to do with him, BB would.

He's no more of a mystery than Maybin or any number of other one year wonders who come out as juniors. If anything, he's proven he can play two positions well enough to be drafted (if we can assume the smoke the scouts blew him had some basis in fact).

If the scouts don't know what to do with him, BB would.

I'm casting my own doubts about Barwin's potential, and whether or not he has been overrated because of it. If BB drafts him, my doubts will dissipate. :)

P.S. Thanks for the heads up on Maybin. didn't realize he'd declared: *Aaron Maybin | Penn State, OLB : 2009 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

I'm casting my own doubts about Barwin's potential, and whether or not he has been overrated because of it. If BB drafts him, my doubts will dissipate. :)

P.S. Thanks for the heads up on Maybin. didn't realize he'd declared: *Aaron Maybin*|*Penn State,*OLB*:*2009 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile
I was fortunate enough to see a handful of Cincinnati games this season and Barwin projects as well to OLB as any DE I've watched in college. His greatest need is to get stronger and learn better technique - but he doesn't have a lot of bad habits to unlearn.

Last edited:
Barwin is my binky, and I will be extremely disappointed if we don't get him, but certainly won't jump off any bridges.

Interesting, Scott Wright's Senior Bowl coverage at nfldraftcountdown lists Barwin under the TEs rather than the DEs. Does anyone know anything about this? Is he playing in the Senior Bowl as a TE rather than a DE, or this just a mistake? I've heard that some teams are uncertain about whether he would be a better fit at TE or DE/LB, and wondered whether he is trying to show at both positions in the pre-draft phase.

Barwin weighed in at the Senior Bowl at 6'3.3" and 254 lbs. with arm length of 33 inches and a hand span of 9 7/8 inches. Wright's weigh in comments call him "disappointing and very average", which is good news as far as I'm concerned, as I want him to last to the Pats at #47.

Two of my other favorite Pats prospects apparently looked less than stellar at the Senior Bowl weekends. William Beatty, OT from Connecticut (whom I would love at #57 but who seems to be rising fast and is rumored to be giving Eben Britton a run as the #5 OT) weighed in at 6'6" but only 291 lbs., and Wright called him "thin with limited muscle definition". (I remember people posting photos of Ryan Clady last year and commenting on his "spindly" legs and lack of bulk). And Trevor Cantwell, OG from Cincinnati (whom I would jump on in the 3rd round) weighed in at 6'4.44" and 311#. Wright's comment was "There must be some muscle somewhere?" However these guys may look at weigh-ins, they're going to be players.

Barwin is my binky, and I will be extremely disappointed if we don't get him, but certainly won't jump off any bridges.

Interesting, Scott Wright's Senior Bowl coverage at nfldraftcountdown lists Barwin under the TEs rather than the DEs. Does anyone know anything about this? Is he playing in the Senior Bowl as a TE rather than a DE, or this just a mistake? I've heard that some teams are uncertain about whether he would be a better fit at TE or DE/LB, and wondered whether he is trying to show at both positions in the pre-draft phase.

Barwin weighed in at the Senior Bowl at 6'3.3" and 254 lbs. with arm length of 33 inches and a hand span of 9 7/8 inches. Wright's weigh in comments call him "disappointing and very average", which is good news as far as I'm concerned, as I want him to last to the Pats at #47.

Two of my other favorite Pats prospects apparently looked less than stellar at the Senior Bowl weekends. William Beatty, OT from Connecticut (whom I would love at #57 but who seems to be rising fast and is rumored to be giving Eben Britton a run as the #5 OT) weighed in at 6'6" but only 291 lbs., and Wright called him "thin with limited muscle definition". (I remember people posting photos of Ryan Clady last year and commenting on his "spindly" legs and lack of bulk). And Trevor Cantwell, OG from Cincinnati (whom I would jump on in the 3rd round) weighed in at 6'4.44" and 311#. Wright's comment was "There must be some muscle somewhere?" However these guys may look at weigh-ins, they're going to be players.
I'm watching the NFL Network coverage of the North practice and Barwin is mostly here to play TE, but may get some DE reps. Reportedly the deal was the Squads had a full complement of DEs, but there was enough interest in Barwin that they brought him in as TE (which says something about the TE class in this draft).

I'm watching the NFL Network coverage of the North practice and Barwin is mostly here to play TE, but may get some DE reps. Reportedly the deal was the Squads had a full complement of DEs, but there was enough interest in Barwin that they brought him in as TE (which says something about the TE class in this draft).

How do they pick the squads? Looking at the DL roster, Barwin seems a much better prospect than almost any other DE listed. I understand Larry English being rated in Barwin's class as a prospect, but the others? I mean, Lawrence Ayers, Cody Brown, Will Davis, Tim Jamison, Mitch King, Kyle Moore, Lawrence Sidbury, and David Veikune? Not exactly an All American roster. I'd be surprised if any one of them goes above Barwin in the draft.

How do they pick the squads? Looking at the DL roster, Barwin seems a much better prospect than almost any other DE listed. I understand Larry English being rated in Barwin's class as a prospect, but the others? I mean, Lawrence Ayers, Cody Brown, Will Davis, Tim Jamison, Mitch King, Kyle Moore, Lawrence Sidbury, and David Veikune? Not exactly an All American roster. I'd be surprised if any one of them goes above Barwin in the draft.
:confused2: Vhat kin vee say, dey ist idjits.

He could turn out to be a very good player, but I see too many high quality players in the draft to pencil this kid in already. I have heard this name far too much considering how legitimately raw he is. Plus, if all of you guys are this excited about his measurables and such, I'm sure some scouts and GM's are too.

Not to rule him out, but I'm not really sold on him as an OLB project when we already have some of those.

He could turn out to be a very good player, but I see too many high quality players in the draft to pencil this kid in already. I have heard this name far too much considering how legitimately raw he is. Plus, if all of you guys are this excited about his measurables and such, I'm sure some scouts and GM's are too.

Not to rule him out, but I'm not really sold on him as an OLB project when we already have some of those.
Gently now, you know how the blood flows when binkies are gored! :eek:

Barwin is similar to Mayo in that he's a kid who was under the radar and is just getting some limelight as people reassess the 2008 season. I don't expect Barwin is an immediate starter the way Mayo was, but I don't think it's a stretch to say he'll immediately contribute in some way, shape, or form to whichever team drafts him.

We might have many but with many are much question marks. Pierre Woods might be a tease and we don't know what we have in Shawn Crable. Kmowing how our LB's drop like flies last year the more the merrierr in 2009.

Last edited:

I'm not convinced the pats are going to get that much out of crable or woods, and the other prospects (redd, robertson) aren't enough either

I'm not saying we won't look for another OLB, but I don't think it would not be best served to draft another kid who we have to teach to play the LB position.

If we do decide to go the young LB route, I would much rather see us take a late-round flier on guys who would go a little bit later in Brian Toal, DeAndre Levy, Gerald McRath or Slade Norris.

Personally, unless we can land one of top tier LB prospects in the draft, I am all for going after somebody like Jon Vilma or Karlos Dansby. I really like what Guyton can bring to the table, but I'm not sold on him as a 3 down ILB.

I'm not saying we won't look for another OLB, but I don't think it would not be best served to draft another kid who we have to teach to play the LB position.

If we do decide to go the young LB route, I would much rather see us take a late-round flier on guys who would go a little bit later in Brian Toal, DeAndre Levy, Gerald McRath or Slade Norris.

Personally, unless we can land one of top tier LB prospects in the draft, I am all for going after somebody like Jon Vilma or Karlos Dansby. I really like what Guyton can bring to the table, but I'm not sold on him as a 3 down ILB.

I can't imagine bringing in someone whom we DON'T have to teach how to play the LB position, at least within our system. After all, Crable played plenty of LB at Michigan, and look at his learning curve. It's just not going to happen.

I don't know much about DeAndre Levy or Slade Norris. Brian Toal had injury issues, is on the small side, and is probably too slow to make it at the next level. Gerald McRath is a good player but is only around 220#; he's more of a Tampa-2 style player, I can't see him fitting in to our system.

Jonathan Vilma was a great 4-3 ILB with the Jets but didn't fit the 3-4 system. I know BB reportedly likely him coming out of college, but I just can't see him being paired with Mayo.

Dansby would be great. Get him. You just have to convince Arizona not to re-franchise him, or convince him not to sign a long term contract with Arizona (which he was reportedly leaning towards BEFORE Arizona made the Superbowl), find a way to sign him when about a dozen other teams will probably be interested, and find a way to make it cost-effective. Please figure out a way to do it.

I have to say Barwin looked pretty big (arms)and athleatic running routes. I can see that athleatic ability being transferred over to defense but I hope to see that this week on the field. I was not too impressed either with some of those ends in the 1 on 1's. English and Davis are strictly 4-3 ends but I did not see much from them but Mitch King has a motor. I have no information about this kid but they say he is undersized (without many measurable's)but has great hands and good body lean. Evander Hood was very explosive with good hands but I think he is a three technique in the NFL not a 3-4 end.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes