The next few weeks are HUGE for our (SF) #1 pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeTedWilliams

RIP NEM
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
As it stands right now, if the season ended today the SF pick would be #5, with SF horrid strength of schedule (due mostly to 2 games against St. Louis) breaking a log jam at 2-4.

Well in the next two weeks San Fran which may or may not get their QB back this week is playing at home verus New Orleans, and then they travel to Atlanta.

After that they have to travel to Seattle, and then host St. Louis.

I guessing that they will lose in Seattle, but they have three very winnable games coming up in the next four weeks. If they somehow lose all of them, then we are easily looking at a top 5 pick. Either eay, the next few weeks will go along way towards the positioning of this draft pick. Losing to either St. Louis, Atlanta or New Orleans not only pushes them closer to the worst record, it also will give any of those other "bad" teams another win.

I watched the game last week, and they are absolutely awful! Dilfer is killing them, and if Smith can't make it back, they are in serious trouble.

They finish with:

at Arizona
at Carolina
home to Minn
home to Cincy
home to Tampa
at Cleveland

I'm guessing that, at best they would be 2-4 in this stretch, although 0-6 is also very likely.

I hear ya Tedy Ballgame, go anyone except San Fran!

I say 6-10 or 7-9, should be pick 8-12.

New Orleans is getting back on track. I think they beat SF. If this pick keeps getting higher. Sign me up for Jake Long. A LT for 10-12 years. I absolutely hate Michigan. But, that kid can play. 2 years ago he stoned Bobby Carpenter - lb and 1st round pick on the first play of the game and knocked him out of game. Buckled his knee. Long was a soph. Just a straight up block and clocked him. He wiped out right-side of PSU line this year. And, gave Hart running room even though everybody knew what UM was going to do. Henne was hurt and they played a fr. qb. IMO he's the best player in this draft. I like McFadden next. I'm not as keen on the DL as most people like; Dorsey,C.Campbell and C.Long.

New Orleans is getting back on track. I think they beat SF. If this pick keeps getting higher. Sign me up for Jake Long. A LT for 10-12 years. I absolutely hate Michigan. But, that kid can play. 2 years ago he stoned Bobby Carpenter - lb and 1st round pick on the first play of the game and knocked him out of game. Buckled his knee. Long was a soph. Just a straight up block and clocked him. He wiped out right-side of PSU line this year. And, gave Hart running room even though everybody knew what UM was going to do. Henne was hurt and they played a fr. qb. IMO he's the best player in this draft. I like McFadden next. I'm not as keen on the DL as most people like; Dorsey,C.Campbell and C.Long.

You really can't go wrong with a Michigan lineman. Those guys come out ready to contribute from Go. I'd love to get him wrapped up for six years if he's on the board.

I think the Dolphins finished 6 and 10 last year and they wound up with the 9th pick overall.

I think San Fran is a 4 and 12 or 5 and 11 team. The Rams get Jackson and Bulger back soon, they should start to play better.

Assuming Cleveland finishes 8 and 8 and we spank Dallas in the SB, that could set up a nice trade betwwen us and Dallas. The 2 first rounders of Dallas plus some change if it makes the chart work to us for San Fran's.

We are going to need quantity and quality in the secondary next year if we lose Samuel, Gay and Wilson to FA.

I think the Dolphins finished 6 and 10 last year and they wound up with the 9th pick overall.

I think San Fran is a 4 and 12 or 5 and 11 team. The Rams get Jackson and Bulger back soon, they should start to play better.

Assuming Cleveland finishes 8 and 8 and we spank Dallas in the SB, that could set up a nice trade betwwen us and Dallas. The 2 first rounders of Dallas plus some change if it makes the chart work to us for San Fran's.

We are going to need quantity and quality in the secondary next year if we lose Samuel, Gay and Wilson to FA.

I like that trade, add ILB to the mix if Seau and Bruschi are done.

They have an easy game coming up against Atlanta, but after that, they are going to be hard pressed for wins, St.Louis improved today, Jackson found his stride finally.

Looking ahead I see a best case of 6-10 and worst case of 4-12, almost assures a top 10 pick, maybe even top 5.

Right now I would say 5-11, which last year resulted in picks 5 & 6.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/standings?year=season_2006

1 Mon, Sep 10 Arizona W 20-17 -- ESPN
2 Sun, Sep 16 at St. Louis W 17-16 -- FOX
3 Sun, Sep 23 at Pittsburgh L 16-37 -- FOX
4 Sun, Sep 30 Seattle L 3-23 -- FOX
5 Sun, Oct 7 Baltimore L 7-9 -- CBS
6 -- bye -- -- --
7 Sun, Oct 21 at NY Giants L 15-33 -- FOX
8 Sun, Oct 28 New Orleans L 10-31

---------------------------- predicted results -------------
9 Sun, Nov 4 at Atlanta 1:00 pm - WIN
10 Mon, Nov 12 at Seattle 8:30 pm
11 Sun, Nov 18 St. Louis 4:15 pm - WIN
12 Sun, Nov 25 at Arizona 4:05 pm
13 Sun, Dec 2 at Carolina 1:00 pm
14 Sun, Dec 9 Minnesota 4:05 pm - WIN
15 Sat, Dec 15 Cincinnati 8:15 pm
16 Sun, Dec 23 Tampa Bay 8:15 pm
17 Sun, Dec 30 at Cleveland 1:00 pm

If the season ended today the Pats would have the fifth pick in the first round, and the fifth pick in the third round (Raiders).

Alex Smith took another big time shot to his right shoulder Sunday, and he was really hurting, I think that if they lose a few more games, they might put him on the shelf before he morphs into Chad Pennington.

The perfect scenario is still alive for the Pats picks.

San Fran ties with another team and Oakland for the worst record, San Fran has the weakest Strength of Schedule (which they will have), then team #2 has the next worst SOS, followed by Oakland. This would mean that the Pats would have the firsdt overall pick, and then would have the first pick in the third round (right behind our own pick at #64).

I'm sure that would sit well with Godell!!!!!

4 of the next 5 SF games are on the road. Yummy :)

This week is huge as Atlanta is ahead of SF right now but SF easily wins the tiebreaker for the higher pick.

Let's go Falcons.

4 of the next 5 SF games are on the road. Yummy :)

This week is huge as Atlanta is ahead of SF right now but SF easily wins the tiebreaker for the higher pick.

Let's go Falcons.

Yes, Joey Harrington is due! Bring it home Joey!

Trading out of the top 10 isn't easy. I believe the last year we had any trades in the top ten was 2004 with Manning/Rivers and the Browns moving up one spot to get Winslow.

Before that the Jets and Saints trading up to get Robertson and Sullivan...........think they would both like a do over?

Everybody wants to trade out but few can. We have to hope somebody falls in love with Ryan, Woodson or Brohm, or McFadden and they believe somebody between us and them will take them if they don't move up but it's unlikely.

Trading out of the top 10 isn't easy. I believe the last year we had any trades in the top ten was 2004 with Manning/Rivers and the Browns moving up one spot to get Winslow.

Before that the Jets and Saints trading up to get Robertson and Sullivan...........think they would both like a do over?

Everybody wants to trade out but few can. We have to hope somebody falls in love with Ryan, Woodson or Brohm, or McFadden and they believe somebody between us and them will take them if they don't move up but it's unlikely.

Well there was a trade last year between Atlanta and Houston as well, but it was a swap of top ten picks. I think its definitely possible, There has got to be teams that feel passionate enough about one of the three quarterbacks you mentioned to want to move up and ensure they get him, be it Woodson or Ryan or even Brohm.

Another thing, i heard Mike Vrabels interview on NFL Network that the majority of the Patriots Linebackers were DE's in College, i don't know enough about the DE's near the top of the draft to know if they are able to make the switch over to LB, one of our needs.

Last edited:
Big game today for us, big game..

San Fran vs. Atlanta in the not sold out Georgia Dome.

If SF can somehow see their way to losing this game today, it would push our pick to the #4 spot. And is somehow both SF and Atlanta end up with the same record and equal SOS, then SF would pick ahaed of Atlanta due to the head to head loss.

I guess we have to have something to do between 1-4:15 today

Big game today for us, big game.
And it seems that Frank Gore could miss the game; or at least will be far from 100%.

I guess we have to have something to do between 1-4:15 today
Indeed. I'll be watching. This looks like the best "for a future #1" trade we've made - and that's saying something considering we got Ty Warren for Bledsoe :rocker:

Apparently the corner out of Kansas could be worth a high pick. On second thoughts, let's steer clear of Kansas corners..... :eek:

Apparently the corner out of Kansas could be worth a high pick. On second thoughts, let's steer clear of Kansas corners..... :eek:

Canty was K-State. Not I'd take him in Top 10. I think Malcolm Jenkins from Ohio St. might be the only corner to consider Top 10. Let's see what their post-season and workouts show.

San Fran's down 14-7 and looks flat out terrible. The 49ers are just a hideous team and if they really go out and lose a top 5 pick in a stacked draft with the schedule they had this year than to draft Joe Staley then they're going to be criticized to death.

Good for us, though.

Falcons leading 14-13 now. If the 9ers can't even beat the Falcons... wow.

I think pick would be between 4-7 now. Probably 4 based on strength of scheule.
1. Miami 0 Wins
2. St. Louis 0 Wins
3. NY Jets 1 Win
4-7 Teams with 2 wins; SF,Oak,Cincy and Atlanta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes