Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Next Big Thing Obama Does This Term Is:

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by wistahpatsfan, Nov 7, 2012.

1. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

The Afghan pullout is a done deal. There will be no more "stimulus" packages.
    There are two BIG programs he'll try, IMO:

Single Payer Healthcare System.
    We all know that's where it's headed, and has to. Insurance companies should not be in the business of making decisions about how healthcare gets rationed. They can still stay in business ripping people off on auto, home, property and other insurance.

A Unified Energy Policy.
    Now's the time. We can't keep kicking this can down the road. We need a diverse, multifaceted plan that uses everything. We need to somehow figure out a way to stop exporting our own oil and making it a contained, domestic market insulated from market influences that can be manipulated by foreign interests like OPEC. We need to build more nukes and streamline the permitting process. We need to pump up research for alternative sources as well as improving electrical-conductive materials like ceramics and other super-cooled hardware. We need a Manhattan project for the solution of Fusion power which would eventually make all other sources obsolete.

And my personal pipedream:
    Close as many foreign military bases as possible and eliminate nuclear weapons from the planet as Ronald Reagan once dreamed about. It is the right thing to do.

2. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +552 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I'm fine with this as long as it doesn't result in an added tax burden upon anyone making less than $250k/year.

3. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +362 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

I agree with 2 and 3 wholeheartedly.

As for 1, I don't know what the solution is for our population size. All the examples we have on this planet are much smaller populations. Not saying it couldn't work, but something would have to be examined thoroughly.

4. Patradomous

Patradomous In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +341 / 60 / -86

#87 Jersey

Serve time in Levenworth for Benghazi.

5. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Like Ron Paul said, that can easily be done by stopping the wars and closing the foreign bases. That's where my pipe dream part comes into play. It's do-able, just difficult because of the insurance and provider lobbies.

6. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

True, but everything we do is on a much larger scale than almmost any other country. It's what we do.

7. Drewski

Ratings:
    +362 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Agreed. But that is my point. We can't take Canada's/England's/Sweden's solution and assume it would work here.

When I hear people say "hey, let's just do what they do" they are ignoring the reality that is population size.

I want Healthcare reform just the same as you. But the reform has to deal with the actual problems (cost) and not just "hey we covered everyone".

8. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

The campaign is over. Even FOX will stop talking about it.

I'm not enjoying your writhing and convulsing today. It's kinda sad.

Are you staying in America?

9. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +563 / 22 / -19

I agree with you.

I also think that he will redefine the War on Drugs in a way that doesn't empower drug lords and punish addicts as much as today and that he will take the lead and champion the environment, especially in terms of addressing climate change.

10. resdubwhite

resdubwhite In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -3

No Jersey Selected

The Brits have been working on their health model for 60 plus years.

Its seen quite rightly as a national treasure. Even that evil witch Thatcher couldn't destroy it. The problem in the US I see it from the outside is that there is too much division on any proposed solution.

This is one area I firmly believe were cross party co-operation is a must. As it stands there are way too many people that don't like it for it ever to be considered a success.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  11. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +552 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Obama's current plan sucks because it will result in many middle class families being taxed on the value of company provided health care. Since the middle class can't afford more taxes, it must be changed soon.

Supposed to kick in around 2014.

12. Triumph

Triumph Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +455 / 64 / -35

#32 Jersey

1. Clean up the mess he inherited.

13. Drewski

Ratings:
    +362 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

I have heard it referred to as much (a national treasure). My question is is it a scale-able solution?

It works for 53M folks.....would it work for 300M?

How are the costs controlled? Given the government is the party involved, are they bottom lined focused? Is waste dealt with? Is it modernized - i.e. if you can electronically control information movement - do people rightfully lose their jobs as they aren't need, or are workers kept on, inflating costs?

As I said, I am for reform. But any solution that doesn't deal with the "15K hammer, 20K toilet seat" will end in failure.

14. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +563 / 22 / -19

One other thing I'd love to see, and I think it should be done early since that is the only time for consensus, is: Fix the election system.

Both sides have a lot of distrust in the way our elections are held. Right or wrong, many Democrats don't trust digital voting machines, while many Republicans believe there is a need for voter ID cards. I would hope most of us agree that people should not have to wait in line until the wee hours of the morning to vote, and perhaps that voting should take place on a weekend day, rather than a Tuesday. At any rate, I think the Dems and Republicans ought to get together and try to make our system more honest and transparent. If we want voter ID cards, let's start now so that we can figure out a way to get one to every citizen well in advance of the next national election.

15. Patradomous

Ratings:
    +341 / 60 / -86

#87 Jersey

Getting out of Ma. as soon as I can. My assets are down about 40% since the marxist took office so I have to wait a couple of more years.

Unless of course they decide to confiscate my retirment and pension to fund free abortion care.Like they will have to eventually.
    Like I said Obama loves the poor people thats why he makes so many of them.
    Benghazi ain't going away. One president resigned and another one was impeached for way less than his criminal actions.

16. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +552 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Obama won pretty handily, so I don't think there's much that needs to be fixed. That was proof enough for me.

17. Drewski

Ratings:
    +362 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

I agree here Patters.

I was in and out of my polling place in 10 mins. That should be the norm, not the exception. Anything more than an hour and I really have to envoke Coach Lombardi: "What the hell is going on out here".

I'm for ID's and am for providing them to those without the means to purchase one - I already pay a bunch of fees when I renew mine - let some of that go to that.

As I said in the election thread yesterday - I gave Street and House Number - the person at the desk read me my name. Shouldn't be that way.

Get a system in place now...we have 2/4 years.

18. Patradomous

Ratings:
    +341 / 60 / -86

#87 Jersey

Seems odd to me that Romney didn't have McCains vote totals. And Obama had about 15% less votes than last time as was expected.

Also Obama the first President to be reelected with less votes than his first time.

19. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,113 / 3 / -10

The next "Big Thing" for Michelle is a Two Million Dollar Vacation.

Now poor old Aunt Zucchini might finally get invited to The White House for some Lobster and Spare Ribs, if they can sober up Uncle Omar they might even invite him too.

:bricks:
    "lots of laughs coming up"

20. resdubwhite

resdubwhite In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -3

No Jersey Selected

Not for the cost of healthcare in the US. Which on the face of it as an outsider looks grossly inflated.