PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The New Tom Brady?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing about Kaepernick too -- while he's mobile, it's just another dimension. You don't see too many mobile QBs who also are good pocket passers. He's big, sees over the line, and has pretty good timing and accuracy for a guy with fewer than 20 NFL games under his belt.

The point is that unlike most of the "mobile QBs," he doesn't need to gain 100 yards a game to be great. He's going to learn to throw on the run, which is a matter of mechanics. If he can train himself to use his speed for escapability and save his running for the occasional draw or when the team needs it for a first down, he could avoid a lot of the pitfalls of other running QBs.

The bottom line is that he doesn't need to run to be great. He's actually been better this year when he had few or no planned runs. Against the Bears, he only had 10 yards and I think only one non-scramble runs. He had a 133 QB rating with 2 TDs and zero picks. Against us, he had very few planned runs and was well contained but threw 4 TDs against one pick. Against the Cardinals, he had pretty much no runs and still threw the ball well.

He also takes care of the ball. Only 3 picks this year -- he has an exceptional picks per attempts ratio; 1.37 interceptions per 100 passes thrown. To put that in perspective with the best in the league -- Aaron Rogers 1.53, Ben Roethlisberger 1.78, Peyton Manning 1.88, Joe Flacco 1.88. Everyone else except guys with very few attempts is well above 2.0. (E.g., Russell Wilson 2.5, Bradford 2.3, Schaub 2.2, Stafford 2.3, Romo 2.9, Palmer 2.5, Dalton 3.0, Luck 2.8.)

Only Brady is better at 1.255.

Last edited:
I think comparing Wilson to Brady is more accurate. Fell far in the draft over dumb reasons, was drafted later than totally unqualified QBs. (Brock Osweiler- Giovanni Carmazzi, Tannehill/Weeden-Spurgon Wynn and Tee Martin), and unexpectedly won the starting job.

I know I'm a biased Wilson fan, but his pocket presence/poise is the best I've seen in a young QB since Brady. Kaepernick is running a gimmick pistol offense that I think will be solved eventually.

Very impressed by Wilson. What impresses me is that even when he's escaping from the pocket, he's still looking downfield or for a RB to dump off too.

The Jaguars drafted a punter four picks ahead of where the Seahawks took Wilson.

:bricks::bricks::bricks::bricks::bricks:

Passing over wilson and many other needs for a punter and then losing like its nobody's business=best reason ever to fire a coaching staff.

Watching these new mobile QBs gives me a heart attack. When a play breaks down and they escape the rush, then their steaming toward the LOS with a defender bearing down on them, I hold my breath to see if they're going to get smacked, throw the ball or take off for a big gain.

If the Patriots, post-Brady, get one of these guys, it will make watching games even more gut wrenching.

Watching these new mobile QBs gives me a heart attack. When a play breaks down and they escape the rush, then their steaming toward the LOS with a defender bearing down on them, I hold my breath to see if they're going to get smacked, throw the ball or take off for a big gain.

If the Patriots, post-Brady, get one of these guys, it will make watching games even more gut wrenching.

The colleges are going to be producig a ton of these types scrambling QB's over the next decade.

The reality is there are only 10 to 15 guys produced every five years or so on the planet capable of being an elite NFL dropback QB.
With over 100 college teams, that leaves a lot of teams needing something to put at QB other than a dropback passer.

The best and brightest High School arms are leaving football for baseball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back