PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The New Offense

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelichickFan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I know I'm being a little repetitive as we all know what the rushing offense is doing but these stats do need to be pointed out :

38 points, 188 yards passing, 236 yards rushing

And look at this :

First half :

Maroney and Dillon combined for 14-52, averaging 3.7 yards per carry.

Second half :

Maroney and Dillon combined for 18-140, averaging 7.8 yards per carry.

That's right, boys and girls, 140 yards rushing in the second half.

NEM said:
EXACTLY, as soon as Brady began hitting the inside receivers, in the 2nd half, it forced Cinci out of the box and opened up the game for Dillon and Maroney.

We have a team that needs to show opponents that we have the capability of moving the ball through the air FIRST, and it opens up the entire offensive possibilities for us.

You don't even take a one day break giving your advice for how our offense can improve even after how completely and utterly WRONG you were about yesterday's gameplan? I thought you'd let up for at least 24 hours before beginning your old tired drum beating again. I guess even being completely and utterly wrong doesn't stop you from slinging mud up on the wall.

I ofetn find myself agreeing with you Nem, but not in this case. We are a ground control, run the ball first, offence. This is dictated by the strength of personel we currently have at this stage of the season.
I love the empty backfield 5 receiver sets and we will see more of this as the season goes on.
But to insist on pass first to open up the run is ignoring the realities of our personel. That does not make sense to me from a strategic perspective.

NEM said:
EXACTLY, as soon as Brady began hitting the inside receivers, in the 2nd half, it forced Cinci out of the box and opened up the game for Dillon and Maroney.

We have a team that needs to show opponents that we have the capability of moving the ball through the air FIRST, and it opens up the entire offensive possibilities for us.

NEM, this is the second thread you've made this point on and I disagree. I can only recall one completion over the middle and that was a dump-off to Faulk. T

Take away Dillons 3 trys for one yard at the goaline and the stat even jumps more.

SayHayes said:
Take away Dillons 3 trys for one yard at the goaline and the stat even jumps more.
Yeah, when I went to look at the stats to do this I thought the average in the second half would really be skewed by that. I didn't say anything because you can't just take carries away to fit your point but I was stunned that the average was still so high.

For fun, without those three they were 15-139-9.3 :eek:

Yeah I understand they are part of the game. Dillon 3.9 YPC is decieving though.....

NEM said:
The stats prove other wise. Once we began to click on the passing game, in the 2nd half, the running game became explosive. The 1st half and the 2nd half stats prove it.

We can not come out and expect to pound it...we need to back them off the line first, then run at them, exactly as I said in the pre game posts. Once Brady shows them he can move them through the air, we then, hit them hard on the ground, which is EXACTLY what we did.

NEM,

it has less to do with Cincy's D adjusting to protect against the pass and more to do with 3rd down/long distance conversions.

No matter how well you run, you will find yourself in a 3rd and 5 or 2nd and 14. Convert these situations and you will be given more plays to then run more. *That* is why the pass game was important, not your take that Cincy was forced to change defense in the second half.

Interesting to look at what we did on first downs.

First half, on first down: Pass 6 times, Run 7 times.
Second half, on first down: Pass 5 times, Run 14 times.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Interesting to look at what we did on first downs.

First half, on first down: Pass 6 times, Run 7 times.
Second half, on first down: Pass 5 times, Run 14 times.

Ah the wonders of a balanced attack to start. Score some points, then you can run clock towards the end against an already tired defense. Wonderfullllllllllllllll.

BelichickFan said:
Yeah, when I went to look at the stats to do this I thought the average in the second half would really be skewed by that. I didn't say anything because you can't just take carries away to fit your point but I was stunned that the average was still so high.

For fun, without those three they were 15-139-9.3 :eek:

Yeah, but if you're going to take away the three carries by Dillion, then you should also take away the 41 and 25 yard carries by Maroney. To make it even lets take away two of dillons goal line runs and the two long Maroney runs. By doing that you get: 14-73-5.2

This is still very impressive. IMO this is the most telling statistic of just how potent our running game is. It takes away most of the extreme outliers and the stats are still very impressive. I think we would all be pretty happy if that was our running stats for a half in itself.

FSUPatsFan said:
Yeah, but if you're going to take away the three carries by Dillion, then you should also take away the 41 and 25 yard carries by Maroney. To make it even lets take away two of dillons goal line runs and the two long Maroney runs.
That's why I didn't take anything out in the original stats and, then, when I did I said "just for fun" :rolleyes:

Dillon and Maroney will be the years best RB duo if they keep it up and neither gets injured...at least seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back