Welcome to PatsFans.com

The new fear: Electric car 'range anxiety'

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

2. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Uh, how is this a load of crap? I think that anyone buying a car would consider the car's range as a MAJOR factor in their decision making process. I know I will never buy a car that can only travel 100 miles round trip.
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +333 / 1 / -9

Imagine rich democrats riding around in these things.

Imagine Patches Kenndy driving around Drunk in one of them.......:rofl:
  4. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +188 / 3 / -10

Like you, I was very, VERY suspect of "restless leg syndrome" and I was joking about it when somone got pissed and told me, "don't joke about things you don't understand. I didn't sleep for years until that medication came out"

Whatever....it's prolly something else that make people's legs restless. But now I know I could be wrong.
  5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Are you afraid of your gas cars range at this point? Is it a fear of yours?

who the fukc is afraid of a cars range and the anxiety it might create....WTF?

all cars could run out of fuel at any time, most people have run out of gas, but "Range Anxiety" has never been a problem....nor a real fear.
  6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I thought you drove a Lambo?
  7. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Uh, call me crazy, but no I am not afraid of my gas car's range. You see, those of us who reside in the adult world know of these things called GAS STATIONS all over the place whereby we may refuel our cars at our convenience and in less than 5 minutes.
    I would think any adult who actually owns a car with a range of fewer than 100 miles would be concerned with it.

Oh, and please adhere to forum rules. Deliberately circumventing the langugage filter is a violation.
    Little child, do you actually drive cars? Newsflash: A gasoline powered automobile does not "run out of fuel at any time." There is a very easy way to monitor when your car will run out of fuel. I know I get 400 miles per full tank, and to make things even easier for the simpletons who think their cars can "run out of fuel at any time," there is even a little light that comes on to warn me when I have about 50 miles remaining.
    I guess I associate with a smarter group of people than you because I have driven about 600,000 miles in my life (yes I am serious) and I have never once run out of gas. It's a pretty idiot-proof system, but I guess you've proven that the engineers still have work to do to make it even more idiot-proof.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  8. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I drive the Lambo on Tuesdays or whenever I have a date with a girl who appeared in at least 2 out of the following 3: Victoria's Secret catalog, Maxim Magazine and Playboy. But it's got a 26 gallon gas tank, so I am able to get more than 100 miles per fill-up.
  9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +300 / 4 / -2

This is one of the biggest problems with electric vehicles, their range, and how to charge them. Imagine you get "approximately" 100 miles on a full charge. Well, my commute to work is 13 miles each way. What you also have to factor in is the conditions where you get that 100 miles. Hot or cold weather can affect that. Road conditions being wet, or icy maybe. How about traffic, or city driving versus highway. All the stops and goes of traffic lights, stop signs, and bumper to bumper traffic, could mean my 26 mile round trip, is actually akin to 50 or 60 to the car's battery. Who knows. It might be worse than that. How about if I need to stop somewhere, or drive to someone's house during, or after work. The point is, 100 might not always be 100, and road conditions aren't always predictable. Who wants to drive around never knowing if they'll make it? Imagine being stuck on 93 North in January, cuz your battery died? 100 miles simply isn't enough for most people.
  10. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Boy, that would sure make the commuters happy. I can just hear traffic-on-the-threes now: "And travelling north of the city on I-93, there's a 45 minute delay because some dumbnut's electric car ran out of juice..." :D :D
  11. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Screw gas stations, why not just jun an extension cord out your window?
  12. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

I thought the major issue was whether so many electric cars needing to be charged would strain the capacity of the current electricity grid......
    What do I know?......That was rhetorical, not designed for an answer by some wise guys....
  13. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +333 / 1 / -9

The future is "flying cars" run by a "nuclear pellet" the size of a Pea, one pellet will run the Flying Car for over a hundred years, the Old Middle East Oil Barons will be wandering the desert with their Camels and Donkeys and they will still be Cutting each others heads off and Stoning their women to death.

Remember Where You Heard It
    God Willing
  14. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

If you don't see the difference between a range of 25 to 100 miles and a range of 300 miles, I can't help you.
  15. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

The real issue with Electric cars are the rare earth metals needed for the batteries. They are very toxic and available (the rare earth metals) only from China at this time. The chinese said their supplies could be depleted within 20 years.
  16. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

Whoopsie:

China Said to Widen Its Embargo of Minerals - NY Times
  17. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +188 / 3 / -10

Good! I prefer to rely upon on China as little as possible.
  18. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +327 / 6 / -8

GE seems to be really aggressive in marketing their wattstation. All their images are interesting to me - they try to display a U.S. charging infrastructure as already built, I guess to help us with our ecomagination, right?

Regardless, if they can get you a full charge in 3-4 hours, they'd be a boon for the "range anxious".

I think only the majority of our driving that we do in commuting is solved by an electric car at present. I'm not driving to Boston in one. But can I drive downtown and back, every day, week in and week out? Yep, easy. And enough public charging stations make electrics a "doable" solution for, for example, apartment buildings - or to make your parking garage more desireable than the one next door. When you're getting 15 bucks a day for parking in the first place, the Kwh electric charges are not that big a deal. More likely, the garage will just charge extra for charging (wattstations are available w/credit card readers.)

I don't know why a GE would bring this product to market if they don't think there's a market to bring it to. Make sure there's a station at each end, and guy who'd like to go to a suburb around the beltway and back doesn't sweat the commute. You effectively double commute range, because you're not going anywhere while you're at work. I don't think anybody drives across country stopping for 3 hours then driving 2, but that's not the part of internal combustion fossil fuel use you're trying to replace.

Shai Agassi's idea of charging stations seems like it would work in that scenario - where you have replaceable batteries, and you just drive through after a hundred miles and swap 'em out, then the station charges the swapped out batteries at its leisure.
  19. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +327 / 6 / -8

As to rare earth metals, do you mean lithium or others?
  20. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

Obviously they believe they are going to get a return on their investment, but keep in mind that "clean energy" (where does electricity come from?) is heavily subsidized by the Federal government. Alternative energy is one of the pre-selected winners in the new economy.