PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The New England Patriots without Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the dum dums on here saying we'd have exactly the same results as the Colts had this year, because hey look! They lost manning and they're 2-13! That means if we lost Brady we'd be 2-13!

It just clarifies to me that they've been casual Pats fans at best, at least up to 2008.

Dum dums: We lost Brady and Matt Cassel took us to 11-5. Now granted the football Gods had decreed we would just not make the playoffs that year, but do the math.

Beside the fact that the Colts are just not that spirited or talented without laser-rocket-arm, there's the way he fits in their offense to think about.

The Pats have a playbook and a system. I remember back in the day, when we talked Brady-Manning wars, they'd say Brady is a "system quarterback."

They're right. So is Manning. Their "System" is a basic playbook, and TBH it wouldn't matter what's in it. Manning changes every play at the line of scrimmage. That's the system: One guy w/tremendous football vision and smarts changing the play on the fly to exploit weaknesses.

A quick moment of appreciation for Seyton Manning, please? He's really, really, really good at that.

Now Brady can audible, Brady can shift the pocket around, Brady can hit the open man, and Brady's a winner. It would be nice if he started doing more of that winning stuff in the playoffs for the last few years, mebbe 3 more rings, whatevah. But he doesn't do what Peyton does.

That's a good thing, because if he did, this team would indeed be toast without him. You can't replace that with a random playbook du jour and expect similar results.

I also think a lot of the Colts have thrown in the towel already. Some no, Freeny was still performing, but come on. 2-13? And probably 1-14, if it weren't that *cough* the Houston Texans are their Super Bowl...

Anyway, if they throw/lose (hard to tell which it is this year) next week, best of Luck (pun intended) in the post-Manning era.

Like the Colts brass says, you don't just replace Seyton... if he's back and all the way healthy, they'll have a shot. Otherwise, let the rebuilding begin. Window'll be closed a few years, sorry.

Post-Brady Pats? With BB alive? Rebuilding might dump us down to 8-8 (I think.) We'll see. But I think 2008 was a very heartening preview. This team lucked out on a superstar pick. Yay us. But I think Brady's skills have overshadowed everything supporting him.

After all, he's a (heh) "system quarterback."

PFnV

It's hard to compare '08 to this season. That was a really different team - with a much better defense, just for starters.

The current team likely does not go 11-5 without Brady, or even close to it. I don't think they're 2-13 like the Colts, but they're probably .500.

It's hard to compare '08 to this season. That was a really different team - with a much better defense, just for starters.

The current team likely does not go 11-5 without Brady, or even close to it. I don't think they're 2-13 like the Colts, but they're probably .500.

5-11 or 6-10 is my guesstimate.

Last edited:
di-HM2H.jpg

I love this board....it's like a Dali painting..

OK, the Pats LOST Brady and they still went 11-5...that happened...as in that was REAL.

every negative response in this thread and on the other one puts forth the exact same flawed assertion....the Pats COULD/WOULD go much worse if it was this year. You CANNOT make that judgement against what HAS occurred with what HAS NOT occurred.

You have a body of work over a decade that shows a high rate of success every season, no matter what dire situations occur, but you all want to assert that IF it was THIS season, then, well, it'd definitely be all bad because...well...because you just KNOW it would be.That's fine, it's your OPINION, but it has zero to do with established fact.

We now return to our regular thread ....

..but your conversation is better than the original thread

After all, would the Chicago Bulls have won six championships without Michael Jordan. Let's try to imagine it.

You don't think with that defense over from 01-07 that they would not find a QB to to take them to the playoffs consistently? They would not be a dynasty but they would be successful. As long as BB doesn't get canned after the 01 season I firmly believe that they would field competitive teams for years. Look at 2008.

Exactly. We might have won 1 or 2 during those years. Defensive playmakers and an effective running game were crucial to those championships. It's no coincidence that once the Poilan rules began having their full effect the well went dry. Every year we've become more and more reliant on TFB to carry the team. Result: Patriots are now officially the Indianappolis Colts of the NFL, minus defensive studs like Mathis Freeney and Sanders.

Plus, the '08 team could have gone all the way if Favre, Mangini and the Jets hadn't deliberately tanked their last game to keep us out of the playoffs, Rodney Harrison hadn't gotten hurt, or if we had had a decent RB to take pressure off a non-GOAT QB.

I love the dum dums on here saying we'd have exactly the same results as the Colts had this year, because hey look! They lost manning and they're 2-13! That means if we lost Brady we'd be 2-13!

It just clarifies to me that they've been casual Pats fans at best, at least up to 2008.

Dum dums: We lost Brady and Matt Cassel took us to 11-5. Now granted the football Gods had decreed we would just not make the playoffs that year, but do the math.

Beside the fact that the Colts are just not that spirited or talented without laser-rocket-arm, there's the way he fits in their offense to think about.

The Pats have a playbook and a system. I remember back in the day, when we talked Brady-Manning wars, they'd say Brady is a "system quarterback."

They're right. So is Manning. Their "System" is a basic playbook, and TBH it wouldn't matter what's in it. Manning changes every play at the line of scrimmage. That's the system: One guy w/tremendous football vision and smarts changing the play on the fly to exploit weaknesses.

A quick moment of appreciation for Seyton Manning, please? He's really, really, really good at that.

Now Brady can audible, Brady can shift the pocket around, Brady can hit the open man, and Brady's a winner. It would be nice if he started doing more of that winning stuff in the playoffs for the last few years, mebbe 3 more rings, whatevah. But he doesn't do what Peyton does.

That's a good thing, because if he did, this team would indeed be toast without him. You can't replace that with a random playbook du jour and expect similar results.

I also think a lot of the Colts have thrown in the towel already. Some no, Freeny was still performing, but come on. 2-13? And probably 1-14, if it weren't that *cough* the Houston Texans are their Super Bowl...

Anyway, if they throw/lose (hard to tell which it is this year) next week, best of Luck (pun intended) in the post-Manning era.

Like the Colts brass says, you don't just replace Seyton... if he's back and all the way healthy, they'll have a shot. Otherwise, let the rebuilding begin. Window'll be closed a few years, sorry.

Post-Brady Pats? With BB alive? Rebuilding might dump us down to 8-8 (I think.) We'll see. But I think 2008 was a very heartening preview. This team lucked out on a superstar pick. Yay us. But I think Brady's skills have overshadowed everything supporting him.

After all, he's a (heh) "system quarterback."

PFnV

There is nothing dumber than using 2008 as a comparison to what the Colts have faced this season. The 2008 Patriots had the most talented roster in the league and a top-20 (at the very least) quarterback under center. This was the same squad that was a helmet catch away from being 19-0 one year earlier. Oh, and they had one of the easiest schedules in recent memory, facing both the NFC and AFC West in the very same season. That team lost to every single quality opponent it faced (Pittsburgh, Indy, Jets, Chargers and Dolphins). The 2008 Patriots were a serious threat to go undefeated again with Tom Brady under center, without him they were a little above average and ended up missing the playoffs.

You are out of you goddamned mind if you think this 2011 edition of the Patriots without Tom Brady would be closer to 11-5 than 2-14. Really, it's just preposterous.

Last edited:
Exactly. We might have won 1 or 2 during those years. Defensive playmakers and an effective running game were crucial to those championships. It's no coincidence that once the Poilan rules began having their full effect the well went dry. Every year we've become more and more reliant on TFB to carry the team. Result: Patriots are now officially the Indianappolis Colts of the NFL, minus defensive studs like Mathis Freeney and Sanders.

Plus, the '08 team could have gone all the way if Favre, Mangini and the Jets hadn't deliberately tanked their last game to keep us out of the playoffs, Rodney Harrison hadn't gotten hurt, or if we had had a decent RB to take pressure off a non-GOAT QB.

I lol'd at the Sanders part.

BB + Tim Rattay = 5 Super Bowls, lol.

There is nothing dumber than using 2008 as a comparison to what the Colts have faced this season. The 2008 Patriots had the most talented roster in the league and a top-20 (at the very least) quarterback under center. This was the same squad that was a helmet catch away from being 19-0 one year earlier. Oh, and they had one of the easiest schedules in recent memory, facing both the NFC and AFC West in the very same season. That team lost to every single quality opponent it faced (Pittsburgh, Indy, Jets, Chargers and Dolphins). The 2008 Patriots were a serious threat to go undefeated again with Tom Brady under center, without him they were a little above average and ended up missing the playoffs.

You are out of you goddamned mind if you think this 2011 edition of the Patriots without Tom Brady would be closer to 11-5 than 2-14. Really, it's just preposterous.

2011 Colts (to date): 2-13 without Manning
2008 Patriots: 11-5 without Brady.

So what you're saying is the 2011 Patriots without Brady would be X, Y, and Z, blah blah blah.

And again: We said that about the 2008 Patriots.

Res Ipsa Loquitur, byotch.

PFnV

TWO superbowls without brady from 01-07? So bradies worth only an extra SB? lmao

Completely agree.

This team without TB IMO would be something like 4-5 wins. MAYBE 6

You don't think with that defense over from 01-07 that they would not find a QB to to take them to the playoffs consistently? They would not be a dynasty but they would be successful. As long as BB doesn't get canned after the 01 season I firmly believe that they would field competitive teams for years. Look at 2008.
The comment made was that they would have "great" without Brady. Just making the playoffs is not great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back