Welcome to PatsFans.com

The New America

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Harry Boy, May 12, 2010.

1. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +562 / 2 / -9

The Animals Among Us:
    What has happened to the people in this country, what kind of parents do these savages go home to each day, how in the name of God could a Mother hold close and kiss one of these vile, cruel rotten monsters.
    Imagine how the poor mother of this victim must feel.

Read some of the "comments" on this disgusting story.
    Was Obama's Uncle Jeremiah right when he screamed out from his pulpit the words "God Damn America"

News Today:
    9 charged with beating disabled Boston teen
    By Associated Press
    9 charged with beating disabled Boston teen - BostonHerald.com
  2. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Mobs used to lynch people... Nothing new about mob mentality here in this country.

No time to read yoru article, but in persepctive, we have done lots of crazy things, nothing today is quite as crazy as it seems when put in the proper perspective.
  3. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +562 / 2 / -9

Yes, I suppose your right, mans inhumanity to man, we are all animals, we even look like them (eye's ears noses legs teeth hair tongues penis)
  4. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +72 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I guess your talking about what it was like in the old days.....
    I remember the good old days, back in the good old days everyone was wishing they could go back to the Good Old Days. And dat be da truth.
    _
  5. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +562 / 2 / -9

Yup, your right, this one is in China,

News
    On Wednesday morning seven children and two adults were "hacked to death" and at least 20 injured in an attack in the central Shaanxi province, the state-run Xinhua news service reported. The assailant, a 48-year-old man who owned the house where the privately run kindergarten was located, killed himself after the attack, Wu Xiaoyan, an official in Nanzheng county, told TIME.
    As School Knifings Continue, China Does Some Soul Searching - Yahoo! News
  6. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +562 / 2 / -9

Yea, your right too...................:bricks:
  7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +527 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Sad, but nothing new, Harry. Look up "wilding."
  8. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +72 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

A couple of years ago you posted this piece about what it was like to grow up in a time were as a kid you rode your bike, played baseball, went swimming or sliding and came home when the street light came on etc. I could really relate to it, but i remember parents and aunts and uncles talking about the "good old days" that the early sixties were to hectic and full of crazyness. :bricks:
    Last edited: May 12, 2010
  9. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +162 / 7 / -13

I thought about that when my kids were growing up. I would hop on my bike in the morning, stop for lunch then off till 9pm or so dueing the summer on Holloween left home ~5 and our till > 8pm gathering vast amounts of candy, my kids growing up in the 80's & 90's didn't have that freedom.

Sad.
  10. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +527 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

It depends where you live. I grew up in the 60s on the South Side of Chicago and it was pretty dangerous to leave your block. My kids, on the other hand, grew up in the 70's, 80's and 90's in a small town in Indiana and they roamed constantly. We didn't lock our doors or our cars and I never worried about where they were or what they were doing. No reason to.

It's still the same there - but I'd not want to bring children up where I live now. There's a difference between large cities and small towns which existed even in "the good old days." I'm unsure, from my grandmother's stories and my mother's stories, if there were ever really "good old days" if you lived in an inner city or an area of high poverty.
  11. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +162 / 7 / -13

I lived in Cranston Ri not a rural area by any means.
  12. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +72 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I also think that the coverage of these types of stories and the ability to read or hear about them in real time contributes to the feeling that society is has run amuck. I don't think there is really more crime per sea than in the old days, there are More people so there is an increase in crime on that fact alone. And you hear about it because crime sells, it seems to fascinate a large percentage of the population.
  13. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +527 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

13, with all due respect - it may not be rural but it's definately small. Cranston has a population of 79,000 people - Chicago has 2.8 million.

Cranston is also one of the top 25 "Safest Cities" in The United States to begin with. It's got a median income of $70, 658.00 per family as opposed to Chicago which has an income of $42,000.00 per family.

I won't even go into the difference in diversity because, with a 90% white population it doesn't even quallify.

Besides which, I never said "rural" at all. I said, "small town" and Cranston would certainly qualify. "Small town" covers suburb, town, and city, I think. Rural or otherwise.

Not everything has to be an argument, yanno. :) You were agreeing with me, I think, you just didn't know it. You did, however, prove my point. There is as much to be said for a difference in location when it comes to safety as there is to time or generation.
  14. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +527 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Certainly true. 25 years ago the people in Chicago didn't hear about the person who got beat up in Boston unless it was of historic proportion. If it didn't make the 5 o'clock news or the morning edition of The Tribune, it just didn't get known.

The internet (and Harry) have changed all that to a large extent.

Be that as it may, there are still hundreds of local crimes which no one but "locals" know about. We've had a rapist/grabber lurking around our neighborhood for 2 years now - but I can guarentee you that no one in Harry's neighborhood knows about it. If we've got one here, then I'm pretty sure they've got them everywhere - but I don't know about it because it's just not world type news.
  15. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +72 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I live in the Boston area for a short while back in the mid ninties, there was one tv station in particular WHDH channel 7 that featured crime stories, i use to call it the "Crime Channel" Their lead story was about some crime, and if there was a local crime story they'd lead with one that happened some where else. One night they opened with a story from Oakland Cal. about a janitor in a high school suspected of rape because he was a convicted felon. It later turned out he was innocent. Seriously what the hell did that story have to do with Boston locally, except to feed the perception that good people were under siege.
  16. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +162 / 7 / -13

I lived about a mile from S Providence.
  17. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +527 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

It's called "fear-mongering," and it seems to rapidly becoming a disease of epidemic proportion. I'm not sure what's up with that.

I worked on a city ambulance for many years - virtually nothing that happened was reported in the news, local or otherwise. I don't think that was a bad thing, either. Many of the crimes of violence which are committed are committed by and upon people who know each other.....it has nothing to do with the general population. To report it, to make it a headline does nothing but scare people needlessly.

It's like the big reports of kidnappings in Arizona - the politicians are making it sound as if no one is safe from getting snatched anywhere in the entire state when, in fact, every single kidnapping which has taken place in the last year had to do with drug smugglers or human smugglers and their own internal strife among themselves.

I think the more they publicize sensational stories like the one Harry has posted here the more they incite others to do the same. Everyone wants their 15 minutes of fame and the more publicity you give someone who takes their's at the expense of another the more you encourage others to do the same.

They should make it a law that for every "Gang Beats Up Handicapped Boy" headline story a news outlet prints that they are obligated to print one which says, "Local High School Gives Up Prom Night to Benefit Schoolmate With Luekemia," because that sort of thing happens just as frequently if not more so all the time.

It's just that those stories are not what Harry and others like him are looking for.
  18. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +527 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

ROFLMAO Ok, so add another 171,557 people.

I'm not real familiar with the geography of Rhode Island, 13. Apparently you're not real familiar with it in Chicago, either.

Regardless, apparently the crime rate in Providence is higher than it is Cranston - but still no where near compatible with that of larger cities like Chicago, New York, LA, Washington DC, etc.

I wonder, though, did your parents knowingly let you ride your bikes into Providence at will?

My town in Indiana bordered Gary, In., and my kids sure the hell knew better than to ride over the border and hang out in Gary.
  19. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +562 / 2 / -9

I used to drive nights for Star Market, I had to Drop & Pick Up Trailers at 2 or 3 in the morning in all of those Providence Stores, it could get pretty scary, I had it down so that I could back a trailer into the dock, drop it and then pick up the empty and be out of there in in 4 minutes, the stores on Branch Ave and University Heights were real bad especially the one right beside the Housing projects, I think the street was Elmwood Ave that was the scariest one at 2:30 AM....
  20. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +527 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

So you admit that crime is not something new - and that the "good old days" were only good if you stayed in the "right neighborhood?"