PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The "Need" At WR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, NO.
too%20funny.gif

l_21ac1024007f98f23eca4033f72b5f89.jpg

Yeah, really smart post. And the other guy did a great job completely misunderstanding what I said and being derrogatory without expanding on his opinion.

But that's just how it is with the majority of Pats fans, when things are going good you can't dare to say anything negative, when things are bad and you point out a positive, you're a homer.

Let's just put it this way: If Deion Branch gets hurt in week 15 and is out for the rest of the season, you wouldn't be the least bit worried? Comparing the WR position to QB is honestly dumb. We have 2 reliable WRs on the roster, after that it's one guy who played well last season but has disappeared in 2010 and a kick returner who is still learning the ropes. If anyone is perfectly comfortable with either Tate or Edelman starting a game in the playoffs, they are insane.

This team can improve in WR depth. That's the bottomline. Just look at the Colts. Injuries have devastated their WR corps, but they are still putting NFL players on the field. If we lose Welker and Tate we pretty much wouldn't even have an option to replace them, apart from a practice squader.

I'm mostly in agreement. A guy who is a legit "occasional" deep threat (ala Robert Meachem) to keep coverages honest would be useful. Unless we are convinced that neither Tate nor Price can ever become that guy, there's really no need to spend a high pick on one.

Yeah, really smart post. And the other guy did a great job completely misunderstanding what I said and being derrogatory without expanding on his opinion.

But that's just how it is with the majority of Pats fans, when things are going good you can't dare to say anything negative, when things are bad and you point out a positive, you're a homer.

Let's just put it this way: If Deion Branch gets hurt in week 15 and is out for the rest of the season, you wouldn't be the least bit worried? Comparing the WR position to QB is honestly dumb. We have 2 reliable WRs on the roster, after that it's one guy who played well last season but has disappeared in 2010 and a kick returner who is still learning the ropes. If anyone is perfectly comfortable with either Tate or Edelman starting a game in the playoffs, they are insane.

This team can improve in WR depth. That's the bottomline. Just look at the Colts. Injuries have devastated their WR corps, but they are still putting NFL players on the field. If we lose Welker and Tate we pretty much wouldn't even have an option to replace them, apart from a practice squader.

The rudeness of the original response to you aside, the Colts are down to using the rough equivalent of Buddy Farnham and Jonathan Stupar as regular starters. There really isn't any way to stash enough depth to cover the quantity of injuries that they've had. Also, there's nothing much any draft can d to help us if our regular #1/#2 guys suddenly bite it in wk-15.

But I hear you. I've said consistently that the 2009 offensive failures were primarily due to insufficient depth of (healthy) legit pass-catchers. Significant improvements have been made in that regard, though, and not just at WR. So, I personally don't see the need to spend a high pick on WR unless Tate/Price absolutely don't pan out. There's only so many reps/snaps to go around.

OTOH, picking up a couple solid possession type guys (and maybe a receiving TE) later would make me feel a bit more comfortable, even if they just end up on the P/S.

Don't know about being insane if your happy with edelman starting... the guy put up good numbers every opportunity he got last year starting when branch was out. So yes he would be a worse option than branch but i think he would step in fine... as shown with him doing it last year.

Yeah we lose 2 wr's and we go to edelman and price... just like every other team in the nfl who loses their starting 2 wr's.

So to answer the opinion i don't think we would be devistated if branch or welker went town but obviously we would take a hit as they are better recievers then the next best option edelman. Do we need another pick in the draft at WR? i think that is honestly predicated on price and tate more than the age of branch and welker.

Let me state for the record that if I was EVER to countenance the expenditure of a 1st Round Pick on a @#$%* WIDEOUT...It would be on Julio @#$%* JONES.

As Wide Outs go...he is a flat out STUD.

HINES @#$%* WARD...with SPEED. :rocker:

AJ Green > Julio Jones in general. But, for our system, I do think that Jones would be the better fit. Willing and able to go over the middle as well as run the 9 route.

Two factors.

1) The development of Tate and Price. At season's end, they'll both be evaluated. They have to be considered the only legitimate intermediate/deep threats on the team, as Slater's value may only be his solid ST play. If Tate shows progress w/ his hands and route running, they'll call his number more often the rest of this season, as reliability is the bottom line for all of Brady's options. Price will remain an unknown to all fans, until he sees some game reps. Stay tuned...

2) The value of stretching the field. From a gameplan perspective, there's obvious value. On occasion (not every series), it's necessary to run some 30+ routes -- if we have the personnel to do so. When analyzing our current receiving corps, they're a short zone group who excel at YAC. That's not the same as stretching the field. I see a reliable target added to the mix, dependent upon the progress of the youngsters. JMHO.

From what I have seen of Tate, and it is not much, is that he needs real game experience. There were two big passes that he shudda/ cudda/ wudda caught that come to mind , and in both cases they were a split second play, with defenders bothering him. A more experience player should have been able to position himself to catch the pass or garner the pass interference call. Do think the WR position is governed by being able to position your body quickly, something WW and Branch excell at. Tate is still working that aspect of his game, being more of a long strider, long limbed individual. It would have been nice to get him the ball more in the later parts of that Jets game, just for the experience.

Have reard Reiss say that our WR's are too similar in Welker and Branch, but I definately like those 2 because to me it makes us less susceptable to the blitz. And we can take some time and let Tate and Price, develope.

Two factors.

1) The development of Tate and Price. At season's end, they'll both be evaluated. They have to be considered the only legitimate intermediate/deep threats on the team, as Slater's value may only be his solid ST play. If Tate shows progress w/ his hands and route running, they'll call his number more often the rest of this season, as reliability is the bottom line for all of Brady's options. Price will remain an unknown to all fans, until he sees some game reps. Stay tuned...

2) The value of stretching the field. From a gameplan perspective, there's obvious value. On occasion (not every series), it's necessary to run some 30+ routes -- if we have the personnel to do so. When analyzing our current receiving corps, they're a short zone group who excel at YAC. That's not the same as stretching the field. I see a reliable target added to the mix, dependent upon the progress of the youngsters. JMHO.

Yes, Belichick will seek a "reliable target" if he is ready to give up on Edeman, Tate or Price. Otherwise camp competition will be brought in as is always the case.

Two factors.

AJ Green > Julio Jones in general. But, for our system, I do think that Jones would be the better fit. Willing and able to go over the middle as well as run the 9 route.

Oh absolutely, I love Jones as would be thrilled to see him in our offense. He is the second best blocking WR in college or the pros, behind Ward of Pittsburgh. It is like a TE blocking on CB's. He makes the Alabama running game to the outside that much better because opposing CB's can not come up and force the play.

He may run sloppy routes and he is not the fastest WR in this draft. But he has decent hands and is fearless.

If we came out of the first round of the 2011 draft with WR Jones and OLB Kerrigan, I would be a happy Pats fan.

I think WR is the 2nd most likely position to get injured in the pre-season. Right now we have really nice depth though we do lack a tall reciever. Looking at our depth chart I cant help but think we would all be thinking a little different if Holt didnt get hurt and Price was stashed on the PS. Holt certainly would have dressed games and he may have been a suitable fill in instead of Branch for Moss and may have saved us that 4th round pick. No doubt BB will bring in another vet in camp and if we draft a WR it will be because both Price and Tate arent meeting expectations.

Here's the guy you should all be salivating over...Matt Szczur - Sr. Villanova University. 4.3 speed. Wes Welker plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back