PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The NBA Draft is Rigged

Care to explain why? Are you denying that there is a lack of fundamentals in the NBA? Are you denying that scoring is down? Are you denying that the league is now more MTV than is it 1980's NBA? How old are you? Do you remember 80's basketball?

Yeah, I remember 80s basketball and its overrated. Basketball is just as good now and in terms of talent. In fact, there's more talent now in the NBA then there was in the 80s. Old white guy media types will disagree, but its true. Players are MUCH better defensively now, they are more athletic (bigger, stronger & faster), more players have 3 point range and players are more versatile. The fact that HS players came into the league at an earlier age does lead to some initial sloppiness, but overall it has helped players like Kobe, Garnett, McGrady, Jermaine O'Neal, Lebron, etc. become better players throughout their career. If any time there was a talent dilution in the league, it was due to the lack of talent that entered the league between the years of 86-91. In this period I think there actually was a lack of talent in the NBA and it allowed some of the stars from the 80s to remain superstars when younger guys really should have taken their place.

:rofl:

They have it right? Are you out of your mind? There are 3 teams in Italy's serie A that have a shot at a title each year, and that it Juventos, Ac Milan, and Inter Milan. The rest are all pretenders. To think that system would be wise in the states is beyond ridiculous. The Yankees Redsox, and everyone else go home. Then we would demote Tampa and Pittsburg down to the International League, and bring up such juggernauts as Rochester, Richmond, and Scranton Willks-barre. Sure, that is some competitive league. :rofl:

I didn't say it would work here or that it would create a balanced league. All I said is that it would reward teams for being good and punish teams for being bad. You agree that in American sports finishing with the worst record should mandate that you get the first pick in the draft? "Congratulations... your team did the worst in the league. Here is your prize for your ineptitude!"

Imagine if you ran a sales force like this. Would you give all of the best leads and to the worst salesmen from the previous year? I doubt it. I'm not saying that the Euro soccer model would or could work with US sports. But to claim that "the system is flawed" because the team that has performed the poorest (worst record) is not rewarded with the top draft pick I think is flawed logic. My only point is that the Euro soccer system has done a much better job of rewarding those who deserve to be rewarded.

I didn't say it would work here or that it would create a balanced league. All I said is that it would reward teams for being good and punish teams for being bad. You agree that in American sports finishing with the worst record should mandate that you get the first pick in the draft? "Congratulations... your team did the worst in the league. Here is your prize for your ineptitude!"

Imagine if you ran a sales force like this. Would you give all of the best leads and to the worst salesmen from the previous year? I doubt it. I'm not saying that the Euro soccer model would or could work with US sports. But to claim that "the system is flawed" because the team that has performed the poorest (worst record) is not rewarded with the top draft pick I think is flawed logic. My only point is that the Euro soccer system has done a much better job of rewarding those who deserve to be rewarded.

Sports leagues are not a sales force. They are not an open market. They are exempt from anti-trust laws. They are basically a chain akin to Buger King or McDonald's, only, without each others competition. Leagues make money through a fan base, who are their customers. They have no competition but themselves. The reason they reward the worst franchises with the best draft picks is because they need some form of parity. If the same team(s) are always at the top, and your other 25+ franchises have zero chance of competing, you won't have a league for very long. You simply cannot compare a professional sports league to the real world, since the real world has actual competition.

Sports leagues are not a sales force. They are not an open market. They are exempt from anti-trust laws.

Only baseball is exempt from anti-trust laws.

Only baseball is exempt from anti-trust laws.
For all practical intents and purposes, the NFL is as well. Back in the 80's when the USFL sued the NFL for being a monopoly under anti-trust laws, the USFL won the lawsuit - and was awarded one whole dollar in punative damages.

Sports leagues are not a sales force. They are not an open market. They are exempt from anti-trust laws. They are basically a chain akin to Buger King or McDonald's, only, without each others competition. Leagues make money through a fan base, who are their customers. They have no competition but themselves. The reason they reward the worst franchises with the best draft picks is because they need some form of parity. If the same team(s) are always at the top, and your other 25+ franchises have zero chance of competing, you won't have a league for very long. You simply cannot compare a professional sports league to the real world, since the real world has actual competition.
It's amazing how many people don't understand the concept you just explained here... The New England Patriots are not in competition with the Broncos or 49ers or Jets or Seahawks or Cowboys or whatever... oh sure, they compete on the field but from a business standpoint they are partners. Creating a system where weak teams have a chance to improve helps the league overall.

It's amazing how many people don't understand the concept you just explained here... The New England Patriots are not in competition with the Broncos or 49ers or Jets or Seahawks or Cowboys or whatever... oh sure, they compete on the field but from a business standpoint they are partners. Creating a system where weak teams have a chance to improve helps the league overall.

Who doesn't understand that?

I understand that weak teams have a better chance to improve by getting a top draft pick. I understand the current system allows for more parity and is better for business of the league. Does that make it the perfect system? I would say no. I'm not saying that Euro soccer is perfect or that it would work here in the US. But the fact that all of the teams in soccer have something to play for all season long is much better than teams purposely resting players so that they can have a better chance at being rewarded for ineptitude.

Who doesn't understand that?
Countless Yankees fans I have had arguments with (mostly on alt.sports.baseball.ny-yankees). I wasn't trying to say that anyone here in this forum didn't understand what RW was saying and I apologize if it seemed that way.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back