Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Nat Geo Genographic Project...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Aug 25, 2009.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +814 / 26 / -33

This has been going on for a while,they have been taking random DNA from around the world to find out our common roots.. their data is starting to come forth and this is the latest effort... called the Human Family Tree, wonder how David Duke and a few others will feel about this stuff...

It is interesting to break it down into 7 Haplogroups, and seems to indicate that the "cradle of civilization" was Africa not Mesopotamia...

The Human Family Tree | Interactive - National Geographic Channel

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,120 / 3 / -10

I know loons will say I'm full of sh!t but I have always said we came from Africa, I beleive we are still evolving, you can see it today in people.

3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +452 / 12 / -14

There was a show on PBS a couple of years ago, a genetic anthropologist traced all of us back to a group of ~ 200 pygmies (Bushmen) in S Africa. Seems we were alomost wiped out all the differentation happened in a period of only ~ 50,000 years.

IIRC the show was called Journey of Man, it is available as a DVD fascinating stuff.

4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

It was a great show. The first to confirm without any doubt our human origins and prove how relatively quickly we can genetically evolve. We're still the same species, but you put someone from Central Congo next to someone from Iceland and the differentiation within the species is striking. Few other species (except domesticated ones) have such a variation. Also proves what a huge impact environment has on mutation and adaptation. Thing is, a Congolese man and an Icelandic woman could easily reproduce, if it already hasn't happened.

Adam and Eve were Pygmies??? This oughta make the Creationists' heads spin. Bet the DVD is banned in Texas and Kansas.

5. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +452 / 12 / -14

My kids bought me the DVD as a birthday present, I watch it once a year or so.

In some respects the rapid change seems to contradict the gradual mutation model of evolution where things take millions of years. Yest how quicly thing happen is very interesting.

6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

There has been recognition in the biologist community that evolution does not occur at a fixed rate, much like geologists have had to adjust their rates and stability of geologic change.

I think the intra-species differentiation can be attributed to the unique ability of humans to adapt to their environment using technology. Moving from Africa to Europe suddenly put humans in a position where "nature" intruduced genetic mutations such as increased height for hunting on the steppes, less melanin and slit eyes for arctic cinditions, etc.

There still has not been a species branching off in those 50, 000 years however.

I hope my kids get me the DVD, but it will be obsolete by then.

7. efin98

efin98 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

In other words...the archeologists have been right for years. "Lucy" proven to be our common aunt.

8. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +452 / 12 / -14

Far Later than Lucy, lots of homo sapiens, event 50,000 yrs ago almost wiped us out small group of Bushmen survive in what is now s Africa, we all derive from that group.

9. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +552 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Mesopotamia will always be known as "the cradle of civilization" which is different from Africa being the "cradle of humanity". "Civilization" being different and apart from "humanity".

10. efin98

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Oh I know, the reason I went with a reference to her is that's the oldest and most famous of our ancestors and the only one I remembered ;)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  11. efin98

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't think that was what he was thinking when making reference to it. I think it was a swipe at the bible and thus creationists, that region is where the early events take place...

12. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +552 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Most who read/follow the bible can accept there was no Adam & Eve. Evolution has done nothing to change my own personal faith.

There is no need for anyone to "take a swipe" at the bible. For the bible is just a book. I think you can swipe at people, but not a book. In addition, it is wrong to say, "...a swipe at the bible and thus creationists" because not all bible readers are creationists...not even close.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009