Welcome to PatsFans.com

The name of Rick Perry's Hunting Camp.. N...erhead

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Oct 2, 2011.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +567 / 15 / -29

Wonder if Herman will use this against last weeks flavor of the week, old habits die hard.. maybe a good prayer session will help.

Rick Perry family’s hunting camp still known to many by old racially charged name - The Washington Post

2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,475 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

I am not crazy about Perry but there is more to the story.

Perry Niggerhead hunting lodge row : News24: World: News

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  3. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Seems like a valid (IE irrelevant) situation to me. I won't blame Perry for ancient mistakes fixed 20 years ago. Falling asleep 45 minutes into a 60 minute debate is another matter.

4. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,475 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

My impression of him - valid or not - is a man who only hears one voice and that would be his ... not Presidential material and not even close IMO.

5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +630 / 13 / -6

#24 Jersey

Aye, that's what his campaign workers are saying, yes....but the Washington Post is reporting differently.

Perry’s version of events differs in many respects from the recollections of seven people, interviewed by The Washington Post, who spoke in detail of their memories of seeing the rock with the name at various points during the years that Perry was associated with the property through his father, partners or his signature on a lease.

Some who had watched Perry’s political ascent recalled their reaction to the name on the rock and their worry that it could become a political liability for Perry.

“I remember the first time I went through that pasture and saw that,” said Ronnie Brooks, a retired game warden who began working in the region in 1981 and who said he guided three or four turkey shoots for Rick Perry when Perry was a state legislator between 1985 and 1990. “. . . It kind of offended me, truthfully.”

Brooks, who said he holds Perry “in the highest esteem,” said that at some point after Perry began bringing lawmakers to the camp, the rock was turned over. Brooks could not recall exactly when. He said he did not know who turned the rock over.

Another local who visited the property with Perry and the legislators in those years recalled seeing the rock with the name clearly visible.

“I thought, ‘This is going to embarrass Rick some day,’ ” said this person, who did not want to be named, fearing negative consequences from speaking on the subject.

This story is based on interviews with more than two dozen people, including residents, hunters, ranchers, government officials and others who live in Haskell County, where Perry’s boyhood home of Paint Creek is found; in neighboring Throckmorton County, where the hunting camp is located; and elsewhere in Texas. Ray Perry did not respond to numerous attempts to reach him for comment. The campaign declined a request to make him available.

Most of those interviewed requested anonymity because they fear being ostracized or other repercussions in their small community. Some are supporters of Perry, whose parents still live in Paint Creek. Others, both Democrats and Republicans, are not. Several spoke matter-of-factly about the hunting camp and its name and wondered why it held any outside interest.

Of those interviewed, the seven who said they saw the rock said the block-lettered name was clearly visible at different points in the 1980s and 1990s. One, a former worker on the ranch, believes he saw it as recently as 2008.

Rick Perry family’s hunting camp still known to many by old racially charged name - The Washington Post

6. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +567 / 15 / -29

Of course there will be spin, but the story is different from Rick's Response..

http://blog.chron.com/rickperry/201...-get-rid-of-n-word-at-hunting-site/#loopBegin

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  7. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

From an historical perspective, I was in high school in the 70's and the "N" word was unacceptable, vulgar, and hateful. Any questions?

8. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +405 / 15 / -14

Wow, I'm beginning to think the Tea Party really is racist.

9. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +316 / 9 / -13

Your not beginning to think you have always thought that. :rolleyes:

10. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +405 / 15 / -14

Oh, shoot, you caught me.

But, the god's honest truth is that I know there's a large element of the Tea Party (maybe 50%) that is not racist; it just looks the other way as a necessary part of coalition building. Both sides know that a vote is a vote is a vote.

11. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +567 / 15 / -29

Yea but this took place in the 90's.. in my neighbourhood, a very integrated town in the 50's and 60's, n....r was never accceptable..

12. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +567 / 15 / -29

This gets more and more bizarre, now they are blaming Cain for playing the race card..

Faced With Perry's "Niggerhead" Controversy, Conservatives Slam