PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Myth of the Weak Colts Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
This game means nothing till we see more of that 'defense'

Ask yourself this...

Was the Indianapolis Colts defense really THAT good last night?,OR Was the New Orleans Saints Offense just out of synch and rusty?

Last edited:
Let's at least put an end to the sentiment --- heard occasionally --- that the Colts are no longer a top rival for a championship. If Sanders makes as much difference as he is commonly credited with, let's insert him into any MVP conversations. Let's remember that if the Colts' vulnerability on D is power running, then we're not the team to exploit that. Let's realize that a safety duo of Sanders and Wilson is not a shoe-in to stop that receiving squad. And one more thing. Let's beat the living snot out of Indy.

The Colts hired a defensive coach for a reason. They have managed last year and in one game this year to mask the personnel deficiencies and emphasize the strengths. this is to their credit, they are a great team right now.

The major problem with exploiting the Colts weakness on D is that you need to run he ball and pass short.

Because of their ability to score points in bunches, exploiting this weakness might give you a lot of yards and T.O.P., but not enough points to win.

When trying to pass, their quickness and star players Freeney and Sanders pressure and go for turnovers which lead to points.

Give credit to their organization, even A-hole Polian (very smart, but still an a-hole) they're not Champs because they have the best players at every position, but because they execute game plans with the D complementing the O, much like the Pats have with a defensively oriented ball control approach in the past.

BTW, their defense can be exploited by a lot more than power running and running up the gut might not even be the best method.

I think putting strong or quick players in the soft spot in position to break tackles for big gains might be more effective. You can't just eat up ground, you have to score to open up the run and longer pass. Think Maroney, Watson and Welker screens and pics (not that we'd do that). Even short passes to Moss. Quick stuff. Make them tackle one on one in space.

Oh whatever. You bunch of chicken littles.

We dropped 32 points on that defense, we can drop 41 on them this year. The issue with the Colts is, as always, can you stop their offense.

You guys are really getting ahead of yourselves. Remember the second Monday night game of the season last year, when Jacksonville's D completely shut down Pittsburgh's offense? Everybody's talkin' super bowl? Well, turns out the Steelers just weren't that great up front, and we went to Jacksonville and dropped 28 on them.

Relax. It's the Colts. You knew they were going to show up. They're good. But we're better. If you stop Addai and account for Dallas Clark, you will beat the Colts. The Pats did it in 2004, Chargers in 2005, the Cowboys last year.

They're always beatable. They'll have another 12-4 season this year, but the Saints are not exactly an AFC powerhouse team.

since its the latest colts thread I will reply to this one. Given that we have been starved from "real" football since February and last nights game is all we have until Sunday then I can understand 11 threads on the PFF.

The Colts did look good last night (not just good but dominating). However as many have pointed out it is the first game, they had extra adrenalin from the flag unfurling (dont we know that one!), and the crowd got behind them in the second half after falling relatively quiet during the second quarter.

Anyone else get the feeling that Peyton was punishing David for that fumble recovery TD? Of course the first one came before the Saints only TD, but the other two looked like PM was dishing out a spanking. Of course the stats will show another 3 TD's but they were just too easy (at least half dozen other NFL QB's could have done the same). He didnt look so good in the first half when the Saints got some pressure on him. However the coaching staff did a great job of making adjustments at half time and the Colts came out blazing.

Which brings me to my point, which is why the hell were there no adjustments from the Saints? I guess Sean Payton has let the '06 season go to his head with runner up to COTY award. He was downright awful. Deuce only got 10 carries for heaven's sake, and (as another poster pointed out) they spent the night trying to run off the tackle. Bush only got 12 carries but haven't they taught him not to dance before the LOS? With Horn gone the Saints had no deep threat whatsoever and (where have you seen this one before) the Colts crowded the LOS... killing any chance for Bush to gain much ground and forcing Brees to dink and dunk. Another poster suggested that is not Brees's game, but he is nothing if not accurate. I think the problem is that they were completely outcoached and had little practice at the short passing game, and the WRs were constantly out of position. Again this comes back to the coach - why didnt he change his game plan? It was flawed from the outset and the more he played it the happier and more confident the Colts became.

So in the end I cant really hand it to the Ponies, as much as they did play a good game (really do like Addai) the real reason they looked so good was the Saints were absolutely dreadful. Luckily they play Tampa next week and may shine briefly, but last nights game showed their limitations and as a result I cant see the playoffs in their immediate future with what they brought to Indie's dome.

Keep in mind they are a different defense outside of that dome. The crowd noise helps those defensive ends immensely.
8-0 in the dome last year, IIRC. They did not have a winning record on the road (4-4).

Hopefully, this year they will be no better than 7-1 at home.

The defense looked okay to me. Sanders was terrific. But as a RB, Reggie isn't any better than he was last year. They did good stopping Duece, though.

Too early to make any predictions as to which defense they have, one like last year's regular season, or one like they had in the playoffs.

Look, #12 lite them up last year to the tune on 30 + points with Caldwell and Gaffney.

WHy would I not think that #12 can do it again, with Welker, Stallworth and Moss.

Come on people it was one game.

Let's not forget who our team is.

Last night did not show me something that i did not already see.

Last edited:
BB has designed the 2007 Patriots to beat the Colts.

I'm not worried. In BB I trust.

The defence did good against saints for few reasons

1)They were playing shallow cover 2 with 8 man fronts and they did not goto max protect formation and send 2 WR deep.
2)Trying to run around smaller+faster defenders instead through them.
3)When the LOS was being lost they did not put 3WR ,bush in the slot and duece in the backfield spreading the 8/9 man fronts helping the OL.
4)When one is having trouble running they did not put brees in shotgun for entire drives with 4 WR.

their entire defence is setup for shallow cover 2 if you spread them and create matchup problems this would have been a fun game instead it was very sad to see .

Last edited:
The Colts will be tough no matter what. Their offense-the QB, running game, line, recievers is just plain dominant. The only way to counter that is with tight coverage and a lot of physical play. Teams defenses may rack up penalties-but you have to play them tight. The Colts will have an advantage with their offense.

Their Defense has not done anything for me. I'm aware of the cover 2 and Dungy playing in the secondary, speed, quickness etc....The Saints D did
1. NOTHING to put pressure on Peyton.
2. They could not stop the run-they got steamrolled.
3. the db's started to slack and blew a few huge plays (David)

They (Indy) are a PREDICTABLE defense.

Indy's defense will lose steam this year (even though they have the easiest schedule in the NFL!).
They will also go through a few tough injuries. All that speed and hitting will catch up on those little db's.
They will not return to the SB-EVER.
Peyton can throw for 500 yds a game-it wont make a difference when their defense starts breaking down and other teams start scoring 28 pts per game. Slice and Dice them and run the ball.

Our defensive set-up is superior and our new offense will enable us to get back to the SB where we should have been the last two freakin years!

Denver, Indy and SanDiego will all get dealt with this year.

I think Sean Payton thought his offense would do to the Colts what they did to the Cowboys. But the Colts were just too quick to the ball, and they bottled Bush up.

Just one game? Sure.
At home? Yup.
On turf? Uh huh.

Certainly all those factors came into play. However, please remember that the Saints are a Dome team as well, and they like a fast track. What happened to Colson, Henderson??

I have said it here before, and I will repeat, Colts will be among the league leaders in take aways. Three last night (could have been 4-6). This defense, will be better than last season by leaps and bounds. Ugoh still has to prove himself, and Addai will too. Can he hold up? In the end, we are an improved unit from last season, just as presumably the Pats are. Here's to (hopefully) a meeting in the Dome in January.

The Colts will be tough no matter what. Their offense-the QB, running game, line, recievers is just plain dominant. The only way to counter that is with tight coverage and a lot of physical play. Teams defenses may rack up penalties-but you have to play them tight. The Colts will have an advantage with their offense.

Their Defense has not done anything for me. I'm aware of the cover 2 and Dungy playing in the secondary, speed, quickness etc....The Saints D did
1. NOTHING to put pressure on Peyton.
2. They could not stop the run-they got steamrolled.
3. the db's started to slack and blew a few huge plays (David)

They (Indy) are a PREDICTABLE defense.

Indy's defense will lose steam this year (even though they have the easiest schedule in the NFL!).
They will also go through a few tough injuries. All that speed and hitting will catch up on those little db's.
They will not return to the SB-EVER.
Peyton can throw for 500 yds a game-it wont make a difference when their defense starts breaking down and other teams start scoring 28 pts per game. Slice and Dice them and run the ball.

Our defensive set-up is superior and our new offense will enable us to get back to the SB where we should have been the last two freakin years!

Denver, Indy and SanDiego will all get dealt with this year.
Any time you have SD, Balt, and NE on the slate, it ain't "weak". And the South will prove to be more formidable than the East, although with Cincy and Pitt on your plate, as well as last season's Divisional winners, I give SOS nod to you.

The Colts defense is very good as long as Bob Sanders is healthy. The minute he's out they become ineffective in multiple areas. Although the LB Keiaho looked good too.

I could not say it any better myself. Sanders is the key, he is an amazing player, great against the run and pass. HE is the reason they are the SB Champs. Look at their playoff wins before they beat the Pats, Manning threw 5 INTS in the two games, but their defense, especially with the return of Sanders won those games for them. No Sanders, I really doubt they would have won the SB last year.

Any time you have SD, Balt, and NE on the slate, it ain't "weak". And the South will prove to be more formidable than the East,
A weak division may help getting home field advantage in the playoffs - it WILL help, but when the AFCE was a tokugh division not so long ago, I think it was an advantage for the Pats to play a lot of tough teams in the regular season. In the playoffs, all teams are tough opponents, best of the best yadda yadda, and it is an advantage to have played tough opponents all year long.

To me, the key is still home field advantage in the playoffs.

You can run on them. Bring Sanders up and then hit them deep. Problem is, you need a good defense to be able to make the commitment to the run.

Keep in mind they are a different defense outside of that dome. The crowd noise helps those defensive ends immensely.
Yea, the Bolts play em a bit differently. Last time SD was in the RCA Dome we stopped their 11 game winning streak and shut em down. Personnel generally matters.

A weak division may help getting home field advantage in the playoffs - it WILL help, but when the AFCE was a tokugh division not so long ago, I think it was an advantage for the Pats to play a lot of tough teams in the regular season. In the playoffs, all teams are tough opponents, best of the best yadda yadda, and it is an advantage to have played tough opponents all year long.

To me, the key is still home field advantage in the playoffs.
HFA is very important. Agreed.

However, last season, some thought our schedule was weak (but the finished top 5 in SOS according to Sagarin). In any event, Colts have no lack of competition last season OR this season. If one DOES think our schedule was "easy" last season, it blows the theory up, as we went up against three top D's in the PO's. Hell, we play all the favorites in the AFC this season. The two missing from the schedule are Cincy and Pitt, otherwise, we'll play all 2007 AFC Playoff teams during the regular season this year.

Actually, what I wittnessed last night was not how "good" Indy's Defense is, but just HOW bad NO's is (as a team). I think they are destined to go 7-9 this year, even in the NFC.

I've kinda had the feeling that they are overrated this year. Last night confirmed to me that they were.

No one has mentioned Freddy Keiaho who came up big last night with 6 tackles, all hard hits. He's got Colts fans saying, "Cato who?"
Yeah, and meanwhile Jason David, one of the Colts' off-season "losses", got lit up like the White House Christmas tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes