The Myth of the Great Pittsburgh Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
The Myth of the Great Pittsburgh Fan
By: John Morgan

Television network announcers are constantly reminding us about how great the Pittsburgh fan base is, but is that portrayal accurate?...

tumblr_ltuak6Agap1qzma4ho1_500.jpg

Steeler idiots are great for the Steelers actually. Blind, alcohol-induced loyalty from clueless, sports-idiots makes for a loud and rowdy home crowd on Sundays which is a big advantage for them.

The premise of this article is very weak. Essentially it says that Pittsburgh fans do not support their baseball team when they play poorly, therefore they would not support the football team when they start playing poorly.

That's a silly assumption considering how most pockets of the country have a "favorite sport," i.e. Pittsburgh is a football town. So what happens to other teams isn't really relevant.

This article is a huge fail.

I have friends from Pittsburgh and The Steelers are king. The baseball comparison makes no sense.

Wayy off base, and this is coming from someone who despises Steelers and Steeler fans. Anybody from western PA would agree. They have sold out every home game dating back to the 70s, that includes the stretch from 1980 until Cowher took over in the early 90s where the team didn't contend at all.

I lived in Pittsburgh for a few years and I can attest. They're into football at all levels. And they're loyal to a fault.

They're also parochial dumbasses who think that if it isn't Pittsburgh, it isn't good. Which is the fault part of the equation.

Wayy off base, and this is coming from someone who despises Steelers and Steeler fans. Anybody from western PA would agree. They have sold out every home game dating back to the 70s, that includes the stretch from 1980 until Cowher took over in the early 90s where the team didn't contend at all.

Man those were great times. I can't wait for the next one.

I agree that it's not a great article. I always have respected Pittsburgh Steeler fans because they travel in great numbers to away games.

I lived in Pittsburgh for a few years and I can attest. They're into football at all levels. And they're loyal to a fault.

They're also parochial dumbasses who think that if it isn't Pittsburgh, it isn't good. Which is the fault part of the equation.
Yes, but if Pittsburgh had the same history of say St. Louis, would they all be great baseball fans and care less about the football team? Or still be these so-called great football fans if they had a 1-6 football team? I'm guessing they would simply support whoever is winning; in this case it's the football team.

I agree that it's not a great article. I always have respected Pittsburgh Steeler fans because they travel in great numbers to away games.

From what I read the fact is that they don't travel at all; they all previously moved elsewhere because they lost their jobs. If the steel mills had just happened to have closed ten years before the Steelers finally started winning after forty years of losing and crappy attendance, then those very same people would have become fans of whatever new city they lived in and this 'travel well' line would be silent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back