Welcome to PatsFans.com

The MSM's double standard

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

When Michelle Obama said, "for the first time in my adult life I am proud of America," it got massive media play. Even as Cindy McCain continued to drag out the issue, it got tremendous media play.

However, when footage was found of John McCain saying, "I didn't really love America until I was deprived of her company," it got negligible coverage.

Both statements clearly involve a degree of hyperbole, but McCain's statement I would have thought would have generated more news since he's the presumptive Republican nominee, while Michelle is not running for office.

Do you think Obama is going to continue to face this kind of double standard on the part of the MSM? Do you think this double standard reflects racism or sexism?

And also, whose ads will be more potent? Republican ads showing Michelle Obama's comment, or Democratic ads showing John McCain's comment?
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +657 / 2 / -9

There's a point to be made there, I am no fan of Mccain, I am no fan of Obama, one of them will be president, I will have to live with it.

:bricks:
  3. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Didn't you post this exact thread a week ago?
  4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +506 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

One difference is The Prince's Wife was 44 when she made that statement. McCain was taken as a PoW at age 31 - not exactly a teenager but someone in her mid 40s is a far different person from someone just moving out of his 20s. Why do you think so many young people are Liberals ? Their thinking hasn't matured yet. Also the bar for "being proud" is much lower than "really loving". I would be "proud" of you if you ever said something non partisan but that's a far lower standard than me deciding I "really love" you.
  5. Patters

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

No, this thread is really about the double standard of the media, about the fact that McCain's comment has received far less media attention than the comment by Michelle. The thread 10 days ago was simply that McCain made that statement.
  6. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Okay.

I don't honestly think I've heard either one in the "MSM", then again I try to limit my access to the MSM because it makes my blood pressure spike.
  7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +506 / 6 / -2

Poor Patters. He doesn't like it that people actually understood the context of each statement. The media tried to make McCain's words more than what they were, but it simply didn't stick. Why? Cuz of the context. Everything isn't one size fits all, when you want it to be.
  8. Patters

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

So, the context of Michelle Obama's comments was that she was not proud of the America during the Republican Revolution, which is when her adult life took place. The context is she is not proud in terms of politics, since she said that what made her proud is that a black man actually has a chance of being president, which surprised her (and many others).

What's the context of McCain's comment? He only really learned to love America when he was away from her (and a prisoner of war, no less)? Frankly, I think any POW would learn to love his/her home country. What was the context for him not really loving America until he was 31? Why didn't he really love America until that age? Care to explain? Can you explain? Why were his words less significant than Michelle Obama's?

At least BF tried to carefully parse things, seemingly suggesting that love is less significant than pride. You instead talk about context without presenting context.
  9. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +375 / 3 / -15

I think when you look at American "Pop-culture" the Obama's will be a hot entity. Remember, there is a huge new constituency of young American voters that weren't eligible to vote 8 years ago. Michelle is a very attractive woman and she's young. Those of you who are old enough, recall the effect jaqueline Kennedy had upon the youth and the women of America.

I think Michele may have a similar effect. The young will identify with her and I think it will be tough for McCain to get much of America's young vote.
  10. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

It's pretty simple........

1) was a soldier that was being held in a foreign land for serving his country and was getting the sh!t beat out of him day by his captures. He said that he never really truly began to love his country until HE WAS FORCED not to be able enjoy it and was in a position to possibly NEVER be able to experience it again.

the other;

2) Was a rich, "never done sh!t", "let me take the silver spoon out of my mouth so I can say this", self aggrandizing woman indicating that despite the fact that she lives, and has always lived on a level of opportunity that far exceeds what the the overwhelming majority of people will ever experience, saying that despite the fact that she already has received the bounty of this country, she's only proud of it now that the pinnacle of power is in sight............ fukcing pleeeeeeeease :rolleyes:

White, black, male, female........ It doesn't matter. The "entitlement of the rich" is a positively disgusting display. Nobody likes an elitist.
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  11. Patters

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

So, it took a foreign nation to torture McCain for him to love his country. It took a visible demonstration that our country is becoming more equal for Michelle Obama to be proud of her country. As I said, both of them are guilty of hyperbole, nothing more, but the MSM chose to play up Michelle's comments far more than they played up McCain's comments. I agree with the context you provided for McCain, but of course see your context for Michelle as ignoring the history of racism in this country.
  12. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

How could we possibly ignore it? You yell about it almost constantly. No one could ignore it if they tried.

:rolleyes:
  13. Patters

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

PiNY did in the context he provided for Michelle Obama's comment.
  14. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Who said anything about RACE. I know you want to interject it into everything, but I don't view the world in black and white like you do. Bottom line, 90% of the country (white or black) couldn't wash fukcing dishes at Princeton or Harvard, yet we're supposed to believe that she was denied the opportunity to succeed because the color of her skin???? Yeah right :rolleyes:. Her father got ahead in this world because he was hard-working AMERICAN that raised his family right and gave them every advantage to succeed. She ought to be ashamed of herself that her father, who much more likely had to face the burden of racism then she ever did, was able to use the guiding principles and ideals that make this country great, and provide opportunities to his children that he likely never had.

Sorry dude, if that doesn't make her proud, long before her stupid ass comments, that I don't think very highly of her, or her unappreciative, elitist mentality. This country s great because you can become something here through hard work, determination, a little luck and elbow some elbow greece, LIKE HER FATHER DID and that sure as fukc existed before February 2008, or whenever she made those stupid ass comments.

Of course, she says now that she was talking about out politics.......... BS, our politics are the worst they have EVER been in this country, and by a longshot.

Stop putting race where it doesn't belong, namely MY COMMENTS.
  15. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +375 / 3 / -15

You & I have no right to say what should or should not make someone proud to be American. You can sit and judge others but just remember, everything you say is just your opinion, nothing more.

I really liked the link to the article you posted earlier, but your comments here seem to go against much of what was written in it.

For example, if I think the "guiding principles set forth by our forefather...ect., blah, blah, blah" isn't worth being proud about, then I'm ok and I'm still as good an American as anyone else. hell, even if I want our entire system overhauled, I'm still a damn good American no one can change that.

and the reason is because our forefathers wrote into the consitution that if you don't have to like the system that is in place. Now, I happen to think it's the best system there is, at least for now. But it's far from perfect.
  16. schmessy

schmessy Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

You know what they say. You can always tell a Harvard man. But, you can't tell him much.
  17. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +657 / 2 / -9

Twana Brawley (sharptons backfire) in the paper everyday for a month.

Duke Lacrosse Players, front page for months (until they found out the whore was full of sh!t and the DA was a Rat Bastard)

Now, why isn't this one on NBC every night, where's the NY Times, where's Jessie and Al?

Raped & Murdered By A Savage:
    http://www.wftv.com/slideshow/news/16719940/detail.html
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

WHAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

First off -

1) I'm grown, and don't need to be lectured.

2) Who criticized her at all for what she said? Just cuz she said it, it doesn't mean that I have to eat the poop-sandwich that she prepared for me. She has a right to say what she did, and I have a right to roll my eyes at it. Simple as that. No one is better than the other.

3) I never said a word about her being a "good American" either. I said that just said that "in the context of the two statements, McCain's and her's, it quite simple why one resonated and one didn't." One was said by a guy that was being denied everything that is great about this country as a direct result of his selfless service, the other was said by a politicians wife that has lived a life most of us can only dream about. One will resonate and is a better story, the other sounds like whinning. It's easy to explain how one got play and one didn't. That was the whole question of the post.

4) who the fukc claimed that my opinion was worth more or less then anyone else. I'm sure MO couldn't give a crap what I think about her statement.

5) I'm provided a link to an interesting article, I didn't write it. I understand the principles behind the article, but at the same time, I think my conservative patriotism is justified and I won't every apologize for them. My comments are perfectly in line with how they are described in the article to.

Seriously PR, you need to back off a bit, you're beginning to get into attack mode a little to quickly lately. It's easy to do, and we've all been there. But seriously, no one here is the enemy.
  19. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Huh. What an interesting post. I think I'm going to have to hit the rep button for this one!
  20. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +375 / 3 / -15

I know your're not the enemy PiNY...I apologize if I came across that way. I was not attacking you at all.

First, we agree on how disgusting the entitlement of the rich is. I interpretated your post as saying McCain's perspective was more patriotic or American. Was that incorrect? My point is both are just as American as the other. And that no one has the right to judge another's patriotism.

Now, if you weren't judging their patriotism, then I was wrong. It would be difficult to interprate your post as not saying that.

But you did seem to paint McCain as being more heroically American and I don't think that's accurate at all. You jumped on Michelle Obama and I jumped on your opinion, not you. If your gonna come on stong stating your opinion, you gotta be prepared to receive strong replies.