PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Most Scrutinized Patriot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ON Moss' perception of lacksidasical route running.

I am sure his grace has a little to do with this perception but I think it is more than just that.

I think it is an intentional disruption of the opponent. If he runs his routes at 90%-95% than he leaves a little in reserve to use when the ball is actually in the air and while the reciever thinks he was staying with him Moss is able to kick on the Jets and make a final thrust at the ball and it would require reaction from the CB to this extra burst. I think this combines with his idea of showing no facial reaction to the ball in air and the last second use of his hands to snatch a ball with out the defender knowing it is arriving.

I hate to disagree with Mike, but Maroney is the most scrutinized player on the Pats... And the proof is in the pudding.. er the forums..There have been multiple threads that have hundreds upon hundred of posts in them going back and forth.

Moss's scrutiny is nationwide because of his past history. So I think it's not even close, Moss is the most criticized by a mile. Millions of fans in other cities say "Lawrence who?" but have an opinion on Moss.

As to the Patriots message boards... I continue to believe that many message board posters are the online equivalent of most WEEI callers, and I don't believe either represents the typical fan.

ON Moss' perception of lacksidasical route running.

I am sure his grace has a little to do with this perception but I think it is more than just that.

I think it is an intentional disruption of the opponent. If he runs his routes at 90%-95% than he leaves a little in reserve to use when the ball is actually in the air and while the reciever thinks he was staying with him Moss is able to kick on the Jets and make a final thrust at the ball and it would require reaction from the CB to this extra burst. I think this combines with his idea of showing no facial reaction to the ball in air and the last second use of his hands to snatch a ball with out the defender knowing it is arriving.

Winner winner, chicken dinner! It's unfortunate that we can't get our hands on coach's tape, because I think Moss is playing a mental game with the man-up corner. On Sunday, if you can see the hashes, check out Moss on the 9's when he isn't the primary in that coverage look. I saw a play this year that I believe went for six where Moss baited the defender. He looked like he was giving up on the play for just a stride then hit the high gear and caused seperation. That is the name of the game in the position, seperation. Chad Jackson was a bust because he had no skill. He was tallented, but not very skilled. Moss is both.

The other thing to think about is how bright Moss is in regards to football. Now, I'm sure the Cassel Crew will kill me for this, but Cassel is still having problems putting the ball 30 yards down the field with accuracy. This is a very common problem with most inexperienced QB's, so it's not a knock on him. Moss recognizes this and decides to play some snaps not has hard as the rest. He knows he won't get his number called in certain situations, so he lulls the defender. Then, when his number is called, he slows stride for a second, plants and drives into a full sprint to cause seperation. Compare this to last season. Moss was playing with a QB who knew that a man-up matchup was favorable. Moss knew if he got a hair of seperation, Brady could put the ball in a place where only he could get it. That's why we saw Moss all out most snaps, because if he had any kind of daylight, he would get the ball. This is even if he was the tertiary read on the play. We never heard anyone whine about Moss last year, did we? I honestly think that this year is gamesmanship from Moss. He is simply playing for maximum efficiency. He uses other nuances to his game to get open when his number is called and the probability of him getting the ball is much higher. If anything, this season is a credit to his ability.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back