PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The most pleasant roster surprise so far, of many

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hands down the biggest surprise is Danny Woodhead. All the other guys we saw through training camp and preseason so we got an idea of what they could do. But Woodhead on the other hand, I mean seriously, who is this kid? He's like a RB version of Wes.

I dont recall the lynch mob, but I think youre dead on about Kaczur.

Yea, I never thought Kaczur was starting quality. Do you notice the ratio of Kaczur threads from past years compared to Vollmer threads this year? BB seemed to like him so I really didn't say much about it. He might of played better at guard, but now we won't know until next year.

woodhead definately - then maybe cunningham

I must admit to having my head so far up my own arse and suffering from "DeusIraeism" that I didn't know what to expect from Connolly, especially against the better d-lines in the NFL. He's been rather stout and a very good performer through 5 games.

Best thing I've read today.. To funny..

How awesome is it that the OP could write a very reasonable analysis of the pleasant surprises on the roster without even mentioning four defensive starters from last week's game who had never started a game in their careers before this season:

Deaderick
McCourty
Ninkovich
Spikes

Exciting young team, this.

Good post!

I for one said the Pats should DUMP mankins before the last draft. I was called an idiot, etc, troll. Is any guard worth 8M when you can coach up a guy like Connolly? Not that it's easy but it isnt' the hardest position to fill.

I HOPE BB has learned a hard lesson. You allow young players to DEVELOP by getting them playing time. YOu don't trade valuable picks for washed up losers like Burgess or Stuarks in the hope that they can rekindle the talent of their youth. Rookies and young players make mistakes, it's part of how they develop.

I also said Ninkovich was talented and could get pressure on the passer. At least he was trying unlike some of the bums BB stuck out there. I was called an idiot. People called him STINKovich, which I thought was uncalled for.

Last edited:
How awesome is it that the OP could write a very reasonable analysis of the pleasant surprises on the roster without even mentioning four defensive starters from last week's game who had never started a game in their careers before this season:

Deaderick
McCourty
Ninkovich
Spikes

Exciting young team, this.

Not to mention there's not a whole lot of experience between Arrington/Butler, Brace and Cunningham. Amazing.

Poor Gronk didn't even get a mention nor Arrington. Young, talented and developing roster fun season.

If this group makes the playoffs it will be a team no one is going to want to play.

With respect to the OL outperforming last year, it's probably worth mentioning that in a Moss-less offense, it doesn't need to hold up as long in pass protection in order to look good. All part of BB's plan. :)

I love it all, but I'm most excited at how the plug n' play rotation is working so well and long drives aren't gassing our D like they used to do.

And does anyone realize what picks we have going into next year? d'oh!

I wouldn't consider fairly high draft picks surprises. Has to be Ninkovitch IMO. We've seen unheraled OL do well in our system before I'd put Connolly second. But, OLB in our defense is damn difficult. He's doing a decent job so far. Don't think he's a long-term answer. I thought he'd just be a special teams player. Was hoping Burgess or Cunningham would start opposite TBC. Hoping Crable improves. Never gave Ninko a second thought.

Connelly, i never thought he'd play as well as he has. And i have to say Ninkovich because except for the play were LT got by him in the jets game i thought he played very well, and i got absolutely hammered for saying that after the Buffalo game. I'm also very impressed with Woodhead. I could mention a number of other players i could insert mccourty, cunningham, woodhead, chung etc. but again Connelly because before the season started Left guard seemed to be the biggest concern.

Last edited:
I wouldn't call Connolly an upgrade over Mankins, but he's performed ably and that, in itself, is a revelation. I seem to remember much trepidation on this board (warranted, I think) after watching him play last year and then having him projected to start this season.

So by my count there have been one, maybe two roster disappointments (Butler being the most obvious), while we have about a dozen roster surprises. I would say my roster surprise on offense would have to be Woodhead, because if I ever saw that midget on the street and someone told me he's an NFL RB on the NE Patriots I'd assume that person was drunk. On defense... I guess I'm going to go with Crable. Like most I had him written off but for the simple fact that a.) he's still on the roster and b.) the coaching staff is okay sending him out in crunch time against one of our biggest rivals, he's my pick.

Furthermore, 2009 and 2010 appear to be the type of home-run drafts that can set this team up for postseason and dare I say Super Bowl contention for the remaining competitive years of Brady's career. And then, of course, there's the small little fact that we're totally stocked with high picks for the 2011 draft, as well. As long as they keep hitting on draft picks and avoid any Adalius Thomas-esque FA moves, we should be locked and loaded for several years to come.

And that concludes my "glass 99 percent full" take of the situation.

Last edited:
Poor Gronk didn't even get a mention nor Arrington.
Whoops, forgot Arrington in my earlier count! And how about Dane Fletcher? In any normal year, an undrafted small-school DE who made significant contributions at ILB as a rookie would count as a HUGE surprise.

How's this for an amazing stat: the defense that started against the Ravens last week included 7 starters who combined for a total of 1 NFL start before this season. Here's to a team that can keep winning, even while rebuilding from the ground up.

Last edited:
Whoops, forgot Arrington in my earlier count! And how about Dane Fletcher? In any normal year, an undrafted small-school DE who made significant contributions at ILB as a rookie would count as a HUGE surprise.

How's this for an amazing stat: the defense that started against the Ravens last week included 7 starters who combined for a total of 1 NFL start before this season. Here's to a team that can keep winning, even while rebuilding from the ground up.

Last 2 drafts + FA = epic success

This is a very good thread. I agree there are a lot of pleasant surprises on the team this year. As a matter of fact i do not see any players that I feel are a let down (Maybe Butler but then again we have to be realistic with him)

I think to start the season my biggest concern was LB play. I think solid LB play elevates the game of other defensive positions. Strong LBs can help weaker DBs or weaker DLs. I realize it can work in reverse but I do not think it is as effective (Strong CB play does not hide weaknesses at LB as well and DL control blockers to allow for LB penetration). So to me the most pleasant surprise is the growth of our LBs in general.

More specifically I am thrilled with Cunningham. He has found a role and he is showing growth every game.

My second choice is Ninkovich. Last year he seemed to play because no one else was playing any better then him (the lesser of evils). This year he is turning into a smart player that is on the field because he deserves to be.

Hands down the biggest surprise is Danny Woodhead. All the other guys we saw through training camp and preseason so we got an idea of what they could do. But Woodhead on the other hand, I mean seriously, who is this kid? He's like a RB version of Wes.

Great post overall, and I really like this observation Condon84. Obviously we're only talking about a tiny "sample size" here, but he's giving me the same impression I got when I first saw Welker burning the Pats (and kicking field goals!) back there 6 (I think) years ago for Miami. I love Woodhead's decisiveness and quickness, and the way (like Sproles, for example) he makes the small size work so well to his advantage.

Too often we fans get wrapped up in dissecting what went wrong, is going wrong, and/or could go wrong. There very well may be more of that negativity called for in the weeks to come (very rough schedule!) so it is really nice to take a step back and appreciate it when it seems like so many things are starting to come together for the team's present and future.

I'm as optimistic about this year as I remember feeling in a long time. Transitions are hard, and with all the change Belichick has had to deal with over the past 6 years the performance of this team has been remarkable. I wonder if there has been any other team at any point in the Super Bowl era (never mind the free agent and salary cap eras) that has lost as many on the "football management" side of things - 4 coordinators left for head coaching positions, 2 player personnel directors left for overall team GM positions. I can't think of any, much less one that has maintained such good won-loss results as the Pats. That's an incredible "brain drain," especially when you add in the loss of numerous key veterans it is even more amazing.

As fun as the Woodhead story is, what is even more fun to consider I think is that there are maybe 15 guys on this team that you can really see either having the potential or actually becoming good to great players, including Volllmer and Edelman, whom I did not see mentioned yet. Obviously there will be injuries and bumps in the road to come, as there always are, but man does the future for this team seem bright right now! :rocker:

im just amazed at what connolly can do at LG mankins spot. he is the unsung hero on the offensive side. hope its not a cindarella story, and keeps it up all thru the season.

How about the fact that I forgot about Ty going to IR, and until we run into an elite QB, will probably not think about Bodden either. Remember what everybody was saying when we found out he was done for the season?

<----- No need to ask, really. :p

He needs 15 touches (rushing+receiving) per game IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back