PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Most Overrated DLine in Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seymour was held multiple times however it wasn't called once that I recall.

Resides right here in New England. Warren has not played well since his contract year (2006). Teams are running right at him with success. Let's stop saying they're the best Dline in football. Right now they're the most overrated.

QB12

Let me know when you start watching New England games again. Warren played well last year, considering he was double teamed all year. Just as Wilfork was. Teams weren't having to double up at the RDE because Seymour wasn't able to beat them

Warren played well for much of the game. However, I have to give credit where credit is due. Samson Satele owned Wilfork and freed Miami up to double up Seymour all game as well.

They definitely don't deserve the title of Best D-line in the league. Not after allowing over 200 yards on the ground and gettling fooled out of their sock by the same play 4 times.

Are we watching the same game? Teams run at the side opposite Warren, where Green/Seymour play. When they run at him, it's usually a very short gain at best.

You'll notice none of today's TDs were at Warren's side. In fact, most were the result of runs outside on the options - the purview of the defensive backs and linebackers, who didn't make tackles in space.

One thing I noticed about coverage is that the schemes were ill-formed to contain the Dolphins coverage. Half the time they'd have 4 receivers on the field (or 3 with Ronnie Brown - who has great hands - lined up wide) yet the Patriots would only have 3 defensive backs playing with them and a safety over the top. They split the intermediate zones alot.

The team was out-coached today. The defense's struggles also had a lot to do with the offense's complete inability to move the ball. Ellis Hobbs was responsible for more yardage than Cassel.

Primetime, I don't believe you were watching the same game as everyone else. 3 of the TD runs went through the gap between Wilfork and Warren. That is the gap that Mayo is supposed to hold. One of them went to the outside of the LT. And one was a Passing TD again, to the left side of the field.

Sorry, but that is the truth and I just watch the replay of all of them on ESPN to verify it.

Also, the Defnese sucked from the 1st defensive series of the game. That had nothing to do with the offense.

I will say this. Ronnie Brown's last rushing TD shouldn't have counted because Rickey Williams dove at Vrabel's legs from behind. By rule, that is supposed to be a 15 yard penalty. NO FLAGS were thrown at the time. It was only AFTER Vrabel and Williams got into a shoving match that both were flagged.

The officiating, today, was horrible. From the call that Cassel was "in the grasp" to that play. Its not the reason the Pats lost. Its just fact that it was horrible.

I should really get around to donating to this website.

Resides right here in New England. Warren has not played well since his contract year (2006). Teams are running right at him with success. Let's stop saying they're the best Dline in football. Right now they're the most overrated.

QB12
Hmmm, if Warren is playing so bad why was he mentioned as being snubed for the pro bowl last year. Maybe glasses would be in order. :rolleyes:

QB12

And yet another moron comes out of the woodwork!

You are a ******* tool!

I agree with most people that DLine did not play well. However I recall BB saying in 2002 that when defense gives up long runs it is not just the DLine. It is the secondary, LB's, Dline and coaching.

We played against the weaker Little League teams, which doesn't actually count.

We played against the top flight Little League Team today, and got pushed around like little biotches.....

It had better get alot better than this, or we're in trouble.

Miami is top flight? Maybe you should go back to the Little League messageboard.

Hey I was giving Miami their due.
A Top Flight squad can win a few games, more than KC that's for sure.

Like most people said, it was one game. The team was out played and out schemed.
Let's see how the pats do dealing with this going forward.

One of the greatest things the pats have done over the past 8 years is dealing with adversity.

QB12

We must be watching different games. I try and never make judgments on the line until I've gone and rewatched a little bit - but Warren has played extremely well the first two games of the season, and according to Football Outsiders last season, he was one of the most successful and underrated run stuffers in the league. Statistically, teams had very little success running his way.

Last edited:
Bump

Anyone still disagree?

QB12

I would not say our DL has played up to what they should/can play like.
I hope they do get better or it will be a long year. We need the D more than ever this year.

Their D-line is overrated. Everytime I hear announcers ballwash them and say "their one of the best D-lines in the league" makes me shake my head. Their just an average D-line at this point.

Their D-line is overrated. Everytime I hear announcers ballwash them and say "their one of the best D-lines in the league" makes me shake my head. Their just an average D-line at this point.

Warren and Wilfork are not the issue. Seymour has been over the hill since he got paid. He's a lazy ass, and a shell of himself. I have been saying this for awhile now.

Also, Bru and Vrabel need to hang it up. It's not their fault there just old and slow.

Bump

Anyone still disagree?

QB12

With your original premise that they are over rated because teams are running right at Warren - of course they do. The Chargers team ran 28 times for 98 yards. And a couple of chunks of that came late. They passed for over 300...against a defense schemed to stop the run and Gates (which they did although you could argue that was a misuse of their talent last evening for sure...).

Last edited:
Seymour still talks a good game though.

It's all talk. The truth is very simple. He signed his big fat contract, and he likes to spend his time out of state doing nothing more than staying at an elite level. Homers and fans made excuses for him.....talked about how his job was unseen and thus more important than we could tell. Bull, the guy is not getting it done.

He's about 60 percent of what he was, and he should be cut when his contract comes up (unless he takes a pay cut).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing