PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The more you think about it and see photos, it was a dirty hit..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going for the knees is only dirty when it is unimpeded. The rule is there to protect against a defenseless injury (which is absolutely not what happened to Brady. It was an unfortunate injury in a violent game. They happen.).

The rule is the rule, not precedent and prior perceived incorrect actions.

Ask yourself this question (I know nobody knows for sure, but play along to the best of your ability)...what would have happened if Morris wasn't there after the initial block that knocked Pollard to the ground? I don't see how you can see the tape and conclude anything other than Pollard's helmet driving directly through Brady's knee. Once he was on the ground, Pollard was no longer "impeded", except a nudge from Morris that may have saved Brady's career.

Pollard made a choice and that choice likely ended the season for the league's reigning MVP. Saying the letter of the rule makes that play acceptable is bogus. The intent of the rule is to prevent exactly this type of injury when it could be avoided. If Pollard was blocked into Brady or otherwise affected in a way where he wasn't in total control, I would buy the "impeded" line. He wasn't and I'm not.

It's easier to argue Wilfork's hit is against the rules (Losman didn't have the ball and Wilfork did, intentionally or otherwise, stick a chicken wing out).

You ***** about how bad Goodell is, yet you want him to continue to suck? :confused:

Goodell's job is to make the right judgment for the league given all the information. The right decision now (not to make up for bad calls prior) is to do nothing because the player and play in question were all completely legal.

If you are going to allow a player to lunge at a QB's legs just because he got blocked to the ground, then you open up a whole can of worms.

I ask again... Are you really gonna care or does it even matter if Pollard gets fined 5 or 10 grand?

Read the rule and try to tell me Pollard was unimpeded.

It is pretty simple Ulf Pollard was impeded at one point by Morris and knocked to the ground but when Ulf continued on Morris was no longer impedeing him thus it was illegal.

Thats like if some guy attacked you on the street you have a right to defend yourself but he turned around and was running away you can't shoot him in the back and claim self defense the guy was no longer attacking you.

Yea he was unimpeded, Morris got OFF of him and he LUNGED from all 4s. Watch the play. He had a choice (and ability) to get up, but he LUNGED at the knees.

I did not think it was dirty until I watched the play again. He lead with his head into Brady's knees, and there is no denying that. He got up from the ground and lunged at the knees with his head. It is borderline. 20 years ago it would have been legal. Today no. Goodell set the precedent last year with Lossman. No penalty on that one either. But this was as bad as Wilfork and VW said he was not dirty nor had an intention to hurt Lossman.
If Goodell doesn't fine Pollard he just sent a message to the Pats.
Let's put it this way. If this was Peyton Manning, Pollard would be in jail right now. There are certain sets of rules that only apply on what team you are, right Mr. Pollian? Who does not agree with this?
DW Toys

Replayed at least a dozen times, it wasn't dirty.

Moreover, reactionary rules to protect QBs can do more harm to the game.

Replayed at least a dozen times, it wasn't dirty.

Moreover, reactionary rules to protect QBs can do more harm to the game.

Agreed. It was a fluke play and over legislating to protect the quarterback could make it harder in a league in which the rules are already pro-offense.

The guy lunged from the ground. He wasn't impeded.

We don't want this to happen all over again in a year. Suspend Pollard.

so where's the talk of fine and suspension?

The guy lunged from the ground. He wasn't impeded.

We don't want this to happen all over again in a year. Suspend Pollard.

If anything, a fine is in order. It should be examined and ruled on the League and hopefully the same guys who look at all these kinds of plays so there is some consistency.

TheLunge.jpg

This is the point of contact. Morris can be seen pushing Pollard, who is reaching out with his arms to tackle Brady. Tackle is the operative word: it is legal to arm tackle any part of the body, even on a quarterback.

The play is legal. He was doing his job. It isn't dirty. It sucks. Move on.

Dirty. Sammy isn't on him yet but his helmet is on Toms knee:

Attachments

• DIRTY.jpg
    DIRTY.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 152
Just thought I would throw in my 2 cents,

The play was not at all dirty, maybe somehow illegal, I don't know, but not malicious.

TheLunge.jpg

This is the point of contact. Morris can be seen pushing Pollard, who is reaching out with his arms to tackle Brady. Tackle is the operative word: it is legal to arm tackle any part of the body, even on a quarterback.

The play is legal. He was doing his job. It isn't dirty. It sucks. Move on.

That is NOT the point of contact! He is diving at Toms knees and Sammy isn't touching him yet! I posted a pic of a better angle so you will understand better.

That is NOT the point of contact! He is diving at Toms knees and Sammy isn't touching him yet! I posted a pic of a better angle so you will understand better.

Sorry, but I don't need to understand better. Regarding your post, it has nothing to do with the rule as it is written. Regardless of what contact his helmet made, the actions he took that resulted in the helmet hit are what make it legal and clean (this is a physical, violent game; helmet contact happens all the time and nearly on every play. Helmet hits are not illegal.)

You're arguing stuff that doesn't matter.

I think it was intentional and he knew what he was doing.
He grabbed Tom ankle and pinned it and then drove his helmet into
his leg. That is what you do ... if you want to tear tendons and players
know it!

The fact the blocker had knocked him to the ground and then
he made his scramble move, pinned Tom's ankle and his facial expressions which indicated a ferocious effort to dive his helmet through Tom's leg all leads to a conclusion... it was an intentional act to rip up Tom's leg. :mad::mad::mad:

This tears me up.

Last edited:
"I think it was intentional and he knew what he was doing.
He grabbed Tom ankle and pinned it and then drove his helmet into
his leg. That is what you do ... if you want to tear tendons and players
know it!

The fact the blocker had knocked him to the ground and then
he made his scramble move, pinned Tom's ankle and his facial expressions which indicated a ferocious effort to dive his helmet through Tom's leg all leads to a conclusion... it was an intentional act to rip up Tom's leg."

I hope to Christ this is your attempt to be sarcastic; it was not a dirty play, some of you need to get a clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back