PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The more you think about it and see photos, it was a dirty hit..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Pollard was intentionally trying to injure Brady, but he was still breaking league rules and acting recklessly. The rule against hitting below the knees was instituted for just this type of situation - when a player is on the ground and the only way he can get to the QB is to hit him below the knees. That's what Pollard did. Morris may have been on top of him at one point, but it looks like he got off him right before the lunge. Regardless, you don't lunge for a quarterback's shins like that. Wilfork and Kimo von Olhoffen were both falling down as they hit their QBs. This guy was already on the ground. If he wasn't trying to hurt Brady then he's just an idiot.

Blaming Pollard might not heal Brady, but the the League needs to send a message that you can't just lunge from the ground at quarterbacks standing in the pocket. Football is fun because of guys like Brady, Manning, Roethlisberger, and even that d***bag Romo. They instituted this rule after Palmer went down but apparently the players (and the refs) haven't gotten the message, so they need to step it up. Suspend Pollard for the rest of the season.

There are dirty hits and there are dirty hits. Let's keep perspective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3POT8n2Qk3g

snapshot20070924134743.jpg

Last edited:
It was against the rules. Whether you think it was dirty has a lot to do with the intent you impute to the player.

It was against the rules. Whether you think it was dirty has a lot to do with the intent you impute to the player.

The case is far from just "arguable" that it wasn't...

Maybee I should have said it was reckless.. Not dirty, but your right it was against the rules..

The case is far from just "arguable" that it wasn't...

Given that Wilfork's play was deemed against the rules, this play was against the rules.

I think it's hilarious how last season Wilfork's hit was fine but now that it's our golden boy it was dirty. Consistencty is a good thing people. I didn't think Wilfork's hit was dirty and I didn't think this one was either.

Last edited:
Maybee I should have said it was reckless.. Not dirty, but your right it was against the rules..

It isn't against the rules as the rules are stated on NFL.com. Pheenix already posted them and I already said why the rule doesn't apply.

Pollard was impeded (Morris) and was on the ground. Anything that happens after that is not against that rule, regardless of how "flagrant" a hit it is (and one can easily argue it isn't).

here is my opinion on the play (pulled right from the Vince thread)

Pollard = Ulf Samuelson and there is no getting around it.

He is dirty and it was dirty.

And Wilfork's play and this one were not the same thing. Yes they were both engaged by an offensive player but one was immediately effected by the egaged player. Wilfork was directly blocked into Losman Pollard was blocked to the ground and than started to get up to continue the play and as he was on the ground his only option was to hit him low (cheap, cheap, cheap). Just because he felt bad after does not mean it wasn't cheap.

that leaves em with only two things to say

I hold out hope that this wont be a season ending thing.

and

F*ck Pollard and his bull sh*t.

It isn't against the rules as the rules are stated on NFL.com. Pheenix already posted them and I already said why the rule doesn't apply.

Pollard was impeded (Morris) and was on the ground. Anything that happens after that is not against that rule, regardless of how "flagrant" a hit it is (and one can easily argue it isn't).

You are misinterpreting the rule, according to the fining of Wilfork. Wilfork had been blocked into the QB, but the hit was still deemed against the rules.

OK.. My take. I don't believe that Pollard meant to hurt Brady. That being said, intentional or not, it was dirty because he went for Brady's knee. Just like Lee Flowers did in Pittsburgh back in 2001.

Given that Wilfork's play was deemed against the rules, this play was against the rules.

It's easier to argue Wilfork's hit is against the rules (Losman didn't have the ball and Wilfork did, intentionally or otherwise, stick a chicken wing out).

You ***** about how bad Goodell is, yet you want him to continue to suck? :confused:

Goodell's job is to make the right judgment for the league given all the information. The right decision now (not to make up for bad calls prior) is to do nothing because the player and play in question were all completely legal.

"Unrestricted path." Sammy Morris was on his back, restricting him. And it wasn't flagrant.

It wasn't even against that rule.

It was definitely questionable. He launched himself helmet first in the direction of Brady's knee. That is fact. Morris wasn't pushing him in that direction in any way. In fact, Morris may have moved him enough to spare Brady a direct impact through his knee. Pollard hit what he was aiming at and he did it with his helmet.

If I had to guess, I would say it wasn't intentional (necessary for the play to be "dirty"). However, it was dangerous and is a horrible play for that league to either ignore or in any way promote as being acceptable. QBs and kickers are especially vulnerable and opponents needs to understand this. Pollard did have a choice. He could have either tried to get to his feet before making contact.

The difference between Wilfork and Pollard was that Pollard was in control of his momentum. Players need to be taught that if you find yourself on the ground around a kicker or QB, you have a responsibility to avoid delivering a hit until you can regain your footing enough to do it properly (waist or higher).

Fining or suspending Pollard isn't the main issue. The league needs to make it clear that everyone suffers if the QBs start dropping like flies. Actually, the AD hit (while not dirty and probably legal) that knocked out Croyle should be part of that discussion as well. Even if you hit a QB above the waist, you have a responsibility to do avoid landing on top of them.

Just wait until we have a Cassel-Sorgi matchup and watch NBC lose a huge national audience. Or have Romo not available for the Cowboys on Thanksgiving. If the same thing happens to Favre next week, will it be an issue then? The fans of those teams feel cheated and the casual fans lose interest. It is unfortunate that Brady is out but the Pats will recover. Lose another 2 or 3 top QBs and the league will have a serious issue. Time for someone to step up and make it clear that the league can't afford for that to happen.

Going for the knees is only dirty when it is unimpeded. The rule is there to protect against a defenseless injury (which is absolutely not what happened to Brady. It was an unfortunate injury in a violent game. They happen.).

The rule is the rule, not precedent and prior perceived incorrect actions.

Pollard has a right to make the tackle (he was extending his arms in an attempt to do so, regardless of interpretation). Regardless of where the tackle is made on the ball-carrier, if the tackle is made in a legal manner it is clean. The rule against hitting below a quarterback's legs is there to prevent a defender with a free lane from diving at the knees and lower legs of a QB in an attempt to injure (It says as much in the rule book, the thing you use to, uh, determine rules violations). That, no matter what you think about the dirtiness of Pollard's hit, absolutely did not happen to Brady. It was a legal, clean play that ended terribly for the Patriots and the NFL. Just because that happened does not mean Pollard should be punished for a good, hard-working attempt to finish his job.

Quarterbacks are football players, too, they can be tackled by the legs.

Last edited:
Going for the knees is only dirty when it is unimpeded. The rule is there to protect against a defenseless injury (which is absolutely not what happened to Brady. It was an unfortunate injury in a violent game. They happen.).

The rule is the rule, not precedent and prior perceived incorrect actions.

Sorry.Bradmahn, if that was the case, the rule wouldn't have been implemented. It was implemented after Palmer went down to the Kimo hit. Kimo was impeded on that. Wilfork was also impeded. Yet he was fined.

It's easier to argue Wilfork's hit is against the rules (Losman didn't have the ball and Wilfork did, intentionally or otherwise, stick a chicken wing out).

You ***** about how bad Goodell is, yet you want him to continue to suck? :confused:

Goodell's job is to make the right judgment for the league given all the information. The right decision now (not to make up for bad calls prior) is to do nothing because the player and play in question were all completely legal.

Goodell hasn't ruled, so that argument is a non-issue. I don't think the player had intent to injure, but he violated the rule.

OK.. My take. I don't believe that Pollard meant to hurt Brady. That being said, intentional or not, it was dirty because he went for Brady's knee. Just like Lee Flowers did in Pittsburgh back in 2001.

It is ironic but Orr and Brady might suffer the same injury.

Orr had his ACL blown up b a cheap **** shot and he was the face of the NHL. Orr had many surgeries and the lack of technology (arthoscopic surgery) and his lack of cartilage made for bone on bone. He had a lot of scar tissue as a result of the injury.

Brady I think will be coming back, hopefully this year.

Sorry, hijack over....

Goodell hasn't ruled, so that argument is a non-issue. I don't think the player had intent to injure, but he violated the rule.

Read the rule and try to tell me Pollard was unimpeded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes