PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The mocking of Tim Tebow

In the interview after the game R Lewis spoke in a very moving way about a young man with Leukemia who had passed away before Lewis could get back out to see him, he had been in contact with the young man and his family. He will be attending the boy's funeral.

So Lewis is showing that other player have a heart and reach out because of their ability to matter in the lives of people who are hurting.

Still don't know why Tebow is bashed.

He is not all that bashed, any public figure in the US right is subject to derogatory comments.. it happens to everyone. He gets more negative play because of his performance on the field. Some fans want him to be something that he is not now, nor is he ready for.

"Poor Tim" is the consummate oxymoron and does not compute.

Last edited:
I have a problem with Tim Tebow. He's not your run-of-the-mill Christian--he's an evangelical Christian. He believes that only those share his beliefs will be "saved." In other words, agnostics, atheists, and those of differnt faiths are destined to an eternity in hell. (Probably Catholics too!) Aside from being a notion of questionable logical integrity, it's offensive. Every time Tim Tebow reminds the world that Jesus is his homeboy, he is, in effect, reminding me that he thinks I'm going to hell. It would be extremely offensive if it weren't born of ignorance (my opinion). I can't "fake" sharing his beliefs--I just don't believe it, so I wish he'd shut up about it. I watch football to relax and have fun.

I ask the following question to those who are defending Tebow:

Would you feel the same way if Tebow were muslim and started every press conference with "Allahu Akbar! I first want to thank Allah, my great God"?

People of other faiths don't believe that nonbelievers/infidels are doomed? Cool story.

Good question. I mean those who get very defensive when people criticize Tebow for any reason.

I am still waiting for people to criticize all the other players who have kneeled after a TD or Greg Jennings for giving "glory to God" after the SB last year.

As a nonbeliever, Islam and Christianity (as spiritual belief systems) are fairly indistinguishable.

Erm, that's frankly ridiculous.

Last edited:
People of other faiths don't believe that nonbelievers/infidels are doomed? Cool story.

I don't know every religion out there, but Buddhism and Judaism don't hold that "unbelievers" are doomed. Both are rather neutral on the whole subject.

Well, to be fair, to the outsider, there are similarities:

1. Proselytizing faith.
2. Believe in heaven for believers and hell for unbelievers.
3. Belief in a final judgment.
4. Belief in a revealed scripture (to one man/small group)
5. Easy acceptance into the faith.

There are a few other sect-specific similarities. Of course, there are notable differences, but the similarities are not insignificant. After all, it shouldn't be a shock, given that both faiths draw (at least partially) from the Jewish scriptures.

I am still waiting for people to criticize all the other players who have kneeled after a TD or Greg Jennings for giving "glory to God" after the SB last year.....

that's not what ishmael was addressing, though

as for other players not being criticized, doesn't that indicate that the issue some people have with Tebow isn't as simple as some sort of anti-Christianity bias?

(btw, Adrian Gonzalez took some heat in Boston this year for saying something along the lines of "god didn't mean for it to be" when the Sox collapsed, didn't he? That wasn't bigotry, it was people wanting to see a bit more fire from the guy after the team fell apart rather than simply chalking it up to god.)

I am still waiting for people to criticize all the other players who have kneeled after a TD or Greg Jennings for giving "glory to God" after the SB last year.

You can give glory to god, without invoking his name every time you are in front of a microphone.. good works are expected for Christians, and your approval comes as a reward in heaven, not public adulation from the masses...

Doing good works is a necessity for Christians, and to those to whom much is given much is expected..

There are a few Patriots who are very religious, but do not try to convert the masses every time they are in the presence of a microphone.. every time Tebow steps up to the mike with the trite response of, "I would like to thank my lord and savior ************" gets a lot nauseating.

I don't know every religion out there, but Buddhism and Judaism don't hold that "unbelievers" are doomed. Both are rather neutral on the whole subject.

I can't say I agree. Karma?

Jews have not historically been indifferent on the subject of non-Jews.

Well, to be fair, to the outsider, there are similarities:

1. Proselytizing faith.
2. Believe in heaven for believers and hell for unbelievers.
3. Belief in a final judgment.
4. Belief in a revealed scripture (to one man/small group)
5. Easy acceptance into the faith.

That's more style than substance. It's in the substance that the differences are evident.

I can't say I agree. Karma?

Karma is about cause and effect, not belief. Whether one believes in karma or not has no bearing on the concept. If one is doomed, it is not for being an unbeliever, but because of their own evil deeds.

Jews have not historically been indifferent on the subject of non-Jews.

And that translates to doom how? Jews don't like non-Jews exterminating them. True. But Jews don't believe someone is going to hell if they don't believe in the Jewish concepts of god. Jews don't believe in hell at all, in fact.

That's more style than substance. It's in the substance that the differences are evident.

It seems to me that those are the very core concepts of those religions. A lot of substance there. Why become a Christian at all? Isn't it to avoid hell? Wasn't Jesus' last command to his followers to go and make disciples? The same basic things are true in Islam. Belief in Allah alone, and Muhammad's role as his prophet, is essential to salvation. Muslims are commanded to spread the faith.

In both cases, if a person does only those bare necessities, they've participated in perhaps the most important roles in their respective faiths.

Last edited:
Are their enough Christians in NY for Tebow to succeed? New York is a cultural melting pot, will he have enough support or does Tebow Mania die?

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back