Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Melting Antartica Icesheet

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by All_Around_Brown, Mar 16, 2007.

1. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/02/AR2006030201712.html

I'm sorry if this is too much science for some. :rolleyes:
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +299 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Sigh.

Not many of us are debating whether there's a phase of global warming, we're debating the cause of it.
  3. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Has anyone ever come across a link recently that talks about the ramifications of melting ice and rising sea water?

Am very curious, thanks.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  4. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

The article points to the latest journal of Science. You should start there.
  5. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Clearly, you have made progress. IIRC, I remember the good ol days when you weren't even convinced of that. That said, the causes are documented with a 90% certainty: that this is anthropogenic.

Keep tuned, you'll get there eventually.
  6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 4 / -2

More doomsday. I guess I better buy a boat, or move to the mountains. I guess Shanghai really is in trouble.

From the article:

The new findings, which are being published today in the journal Science, suggest that global sea level could rise substantially over the next several centuries.

Richard Alley, a Pennsylvania State University glaciologist who has studied the Antarctic ice sheet but was not involved in the new research, said more research is needed to determine if the shrinkage is a long-term trend, because the new report is based on just three years of data. "One person's trend is another person's fluctuation," he said.

Velicogna acknowledged that it is hard to predict how fast the ice sheet will melt in the future but said, "I don't expect it's going to stop in the next couple of years."

Scientists have been debating whether the Antarctic ice sheet is expanding or shrinking overall, because the center of the sheet tends to gain mass through snowfall whereas the coastal regions are more vulnerable to melting.

Ok, so 20' is possible in the next several "centuries", which means that the current rate of increased temp would have to remain constant. Of course though, the data only covers a 3 year span, and the researcher in question doesn't see a reversal in "the next couple of years". Furthermore, there are still questions regarding the ice mass in Antarctica.

More dooms day stuff which I don't subscribe too. At any rate, my question is, if Global Warming is man made, then fine, we might want to discuss some course of action, but if it's not, and is a natural course our planet fluctuates through, then why the fuss? To me, niether is a...

[​IMG]

That's why I'd love to see some honest debate, and not more fear mongering, or naysaying, like we do now.
  7. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +128 / 7 / -13

According to the IPCC the scenario is 17 inches this century. This is down from their earlier prediction of 36 inches in their previous report. At the current rate we will be at 0 inches by the time of their next report.
  8. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

See, where we are now, is BelichickFan is admitting the Earth is warming, but not ready to blame humans.

Real World and Patsfan13 aren't even ready to accept that the Earth is warming (because if it does, for ANY reason - including sunspots, oceans will rise).

Or they're just doing what defense lawyers do. They don't have a consistent opinion, they just want to create doubt.
  9. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +128 / 7 / -13

Pujo yuo are a liar. I have said the earth is warming. I have also said that this is a good thing, God help us when the next Ice Age happens. What I have not said is that the warming is caused by the activities of domesticated primates.

Even if you arer incapable of defending your POV please don't lie about what others say.
  10. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +299 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

I'm not "admitting" anything - I simply acknowledge that we are in a temporary, normal phase of the temperature cycle that currently is warmer than average.
  11. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Is this your quote from an above post? "According to the IPCC the scenario is 17 inches this century. This is down from their earlier prediction of 36 inches in their previous report. At the current rate we will be at 0 inches by the time of their next report."

Now, if the Earth is warming, even for natural reasons, why would the ocenans rise "0 inches"?
  12. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

So you're taking a page out of John Kerry's book and admitting that the Earth is warming without admitting that the Earth is warming?
  13. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

He's 'admitting' that no matter what, he won't agree with you.
  14. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +128 / 7 / -13

Because the places with the vast majority of the ice aren't going to melt regardless of the lenght of the current warming trend. BTW there are Solar scientist who feel we have reached the peak for this period of increased solar activity and it could drop dramatically in the next 20-30 years. The planet will rpobably be colder by 2100.

I was also being scarcastic about the computer models and their inaccuracy. Sorry it went over your head I will tag scarcastic comments in the future to attempt to reduce your confusion.
  15. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No, it's just too much bullsh!t. From the don't believe everything you read department:

"The disappearance of even its smaller West Antarctic ice sheet could raise worldwide sea levels by an estimated 20 feet."

Sorry... gotta call bullsh!t on this one (unless it's a typo). 20 feet..?!? Gimme a break.
  16. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

What I mean is, if ocean levels rise, what will Britain/NYC/ HongKong/ Rome/Sydney be like 20 years from now?

I'm not just talking water level, but climate and temperature.

Will Boston be the next hot beachfront property?
  17. Real World

Ratings:
    +316 / 4 / -2

LEARN TO READ AND REMEMBER.

I've said many times that I think the earth is warming (which happened in medival times), and that's undeniable. What I've questioned, is whether or not it is man made or not, what the ramifications of warmth might be, if there are any, and if there indeed is a problem, what do we need to do. You should really read and not assume. Then again, it might be because people's real positions don't always jive with your bottom line. :D
  18. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Where do you think Boston is located right now?;)
  19. Real World

Ratings:
    +316 / 4 / -2

In the worst state in the union? :p
  20. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +128 / 7 / -13

Do you have links to the specific predictions of the alarmist so we can return and see if they are accurate?